New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Crossfit shots in the studio

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Crossfit shots in the studio

The year is finally starting to wind down for me, so I actually have a little time to post a few more shots than usual. Here's a couple of studio shots of a crossfit trainer for a magazine feature. The first shot will likely be the cover, and the other shot will be part of the inside feature.

First shot is my typical flat lighting headshot lighting: Two 32x40 softboxes angled down and over about 35 degrees on each side of the subject. I have the curved reflector below her. I have another light above her, behind her and slightly camera left with a 10 degree grid, providing hairlight and hitting the reflector. Then finally another light directly behind her with a 40 degree grid pointed at the black background.

The second shot has the 32x40 softbox laying on the ground pointed at her face, and I have my huge reflector blocking light from hitting the backdrop. One light gridded camera left pointed down on her, and another gridded light on camera right pointed down on her.

Comments always welcome.

http://c7.staticflickr.com/1/572/31610350086_08763ea449_b.jpg

http://c2.staticflickr.com/1/478/31531305761_16362aff57_b.jpg

Dec 14, 2016 at 03:22 PM
glowhunter
• •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Crossfit shots in the studio

IMO, flat lighting in the first picture is the worst possible way to light a cross-fit subject. Her physique is part of her business, why couldn't you have used more dramatic lighting to accentuate the look of her body? That flat, shadow free look doesn't work for me, sorry. But as long as your client is happy, that's all that matters.

Dec 14, 2016 at 08:34 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Crossfit shots in the studio

Totally understand what you're saying, but this is the style they like on their cover. Pretty much every other shot used more harsh lighting with shadows intended to feature her physique.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:01 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Crossfit shots in the studio

Thanks for the description of your lighting setup. I always appreciate notes like that. You didn't mention the backdrop light on the second shot; I assume it's the same approach as the first, yes?

Dec 15, 2016 at 05:03 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Crossfit shots in the studio

Steve, thanks! No backdrop light was used for the second shot. The light you see hitting it is from my camera right light with just a gridded reflector.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:13 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Crossfit shots in the studio

Nicely done!

Dec 16, 2016 at 08:42 AM
drtaylor23
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Crossfit shots in the studio

Flat lighting is probably what they want because they will "photoshop" the beeeeeejesus out of it and want to make sure it's easier we to dodge/burn uniformly to muscle her up.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:41 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Crossfit shots in the studio

Andre Labonte wrote:
Nicely done!

Thanks, Andre!

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:45 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Crossfit shots in the studio

drtaylor23 wrote:
Flat lighting is probably what they want because they will "photoshop" the beeeeeejesus out of it and want to make sure it's easier we to dodge/burn uniformly to muscle her up.

No. I shoot for these magazines a lot, probably more than 75 covers over the last three years. I know exactly what they want. For this kind of shoot, the inside pictures have much more dramatic, edgy light that accentuates her muscles, but for the cover, this is exactly the look they have. If you look at her in this pose, they're really aren't a lot of ripped, defined muscles anyway.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:48 PM
drtaylor23
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Crossfit shots in the studio

I should have specified to the desired degree. I just meant they can't back it out if you send them full black deep shadows to accentuate everything. Probably also helps keep clothes a more uniform color to make it easier to work with the rest of the design. This is a fascinating niche to me. I'm contrasting to the dirty-mutant-Viking-in-a-poorly-lot-basement-clarity-slider-x-1,0000,000 look that a lot of supplement companies ran with for a while.

I really like the second one.

Dec 16, 2016 at 01:26 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Crossfit shots in the studio

drtaylor23 wrote:
I should have specified to the desired degree. I just meant they can't back it out if you send them full black deep shadows to accentuate everything. Probably also helps keep clothes a more uniform color to make it easier to work with the rest of the design. This is a fascinating niche to me. I'm contrasting to the dirty-mutant-Viking-in-a-poorly-lot-basement-clarity-slider-x-1,0000,000 look that a lot of supplement companies ran with for a while.

I really like the second one.

haha, it sounds like you're taking it quite to the extreme, and it probably works really well in the right context. I like the effect that you're talking about as well, but probably only to the 1,000x degree. :-) I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for your next post using that concept.

Dec 16, 2016 at 02:41 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Crossfit shots in the studio

This one is quite nice, though I would take down the exposure on her legs a little big to keep our attention either even or toward her face

http://c2.staticflickr.com/1/478/31531305761_16362aff57_b.jpg

Jan 07, 2017 at 02:56 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.