Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

JM81

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Hi all!

I wanted to get some advice, first on lenses. I bought the X-T2 with the 18-55 (2.8-4) lens. I don't like that it is not a constant aperture but it seems like a good "kit lens". Instead of investing in primes next, would it be a good idea to save up for a 15-140 (2.8)?

I do general photography from sports, portrait, family, timelapses, street, etc. I'd like a roadmap on an economic plan.

I was thinking:

1st - 15-140 f2.8
2nd - 24 f2

Then take it from there. Thoughts?

Any good tutorials or links to reduce the learning curve of this camera?

I also like the little flash included with this, which is nice.

Dec 14, 2016 at 02:05 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Welcome to FM.

First thing you should do is read the manual, not once, but 2 or 3 times.

I'm not sure how much you're into photography, but it looks like you are all over the map with what you like shooting. Therefore, It's hard to recommend a lens. ALL of the Fuji lenses are good, pick what you can afford and go from there. A good start would be the 18-55, 55-200 and perhaps the 35mm f2. That would make a nice little kit that should be able to cover all your needs.

There are TONS of youtube videos on the X-T2, just do a search, you'll find them.

Lastly, go out and shoot with it and practice practice practice.

Dec 14, 2016 at 02:29 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

I consider the 50-140 f2.8 a "Must Have" lens for an X-T2 for sure. it's so darn versatile and needless to say the OIS is stunningly excellent as is the sharpness/microcontrast, and of course the shear focus speed of THIS lens which is one of Fuji's finest in all regards. That "should" address most of the sports needs and frankly, although some might not agree, I'm finding it doubles as a fine portrait lens as well. The 56mm f1.2 seems to be a favorite for portraits and the 90mm f2.0 is as well since their bokeh is exceptional. For street shooting and lightweight walk around shooting I'm enjoying the 35mm f2.0. Mine is sharp as a tack and instant to focus. Love the svelte lightweight nature of it as well. I fully admit however, I do have a love affair with the much derided 16-55 f2.8. It is indeed in my experiences thus far, one of the finest quasi 24-70 f2.8 FF equivalent lenses I've ever used, and I've used the best. Sharp all around and also their fastest to focus lens. if you use that focal length it's one you'll want in the end no doubt. Love the solid built. It's sharp across it's entire range unlike what Iv'e incurred with Sony, Canon and Nikon versions in the past. It is their lens they designed with the intention of equaling the performance of their primes, and on my copy it DOES get there. I only got the 16mm f1.4 for the purposes of indoor low light scenarios that might creep up, or if I need a landscape shot that is scary sharp and impressive. I'm not one for compromise so that's why I chose the lenses I did. I must admit, the 100-400 is intoxicating if you like to compress or bring things in closer. What a build! Like a Rolls Royce :-)

Dec 14, 2016 at 02:36 PM
greghillson

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

I can echo what traveler wrote. The 50-140 is unreal. I am admittedly a struggling hack, but the speed of focus, and stabilization (handheld at 140 at very slow shutter) are truly impressive. I have used it to take portraits of my daughter and wife, and it does a great job. I also have the 56, and while it is fast and much smaller, I generally opt for the zoom (I shoot mostly landscape and a little action- mostly bikes).

I was in your position about 2 months ago, and I devoured youtube videos, purchased a book on the XT-2 (wouldn't really recommend), and have spent hours learning the camera and reading the manual. The Fuji Australia Youtube channel has some good tutorials and information, as a start and from there, it depends on your taste (landscape, portrait, street, etc.).

Keep an eye out for used gear too, many good deals...along with the current Fuji 'sale'.

Hope this is helpful!

Dec 14, 2016 at 07:05 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Portraits? 56mm or 90mm IMHO

Dec 14, 2016 at 07:09 PM
slee915
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Sports - 50-140

portraits - 50-140 is fine if outdoors, get the 56mm APD as alternative (some good deals can be found here, got mine for $799)

street - 23mmf/2, I perfer the 1.4 personally
family - 23mm, 50-140, 56

Dec 14, 2016 at 07:46 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Before you get too many lenses, make sure that you know what you want. That 18-55mm "kit" lens is better than the typical kit lenses from many other manufacturers, and is a pretty credible performer. See how it works for you before you decide that you need better or more expensive.

The 50-140mm lens is a fine lens if it is something you need. (I have it.) There is also a pretty good 55-200mm zoom. I used that for several years, and I appreciated its even longer focal length at times, though it also has variable maximum aperture. It is lighter and smaller than the 50-140.

(I'm betting your 15-140mm reference was a typo, right?)

Dan

Dec 14, 2016 at 09:04 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Is this your first "real" camera/camera system ?

You make statements such as not liking the 18-55 because its not a constant aperture, which certainly suggest your something of an experienced/enthusiast photographer, but then if that is the case, you certainly should have come to know what focal lengths you tend to use.

I don't know how anyone can give you an "economic plan" for buying lens for that matter, when you don't give us a budget either.

Honestly at this point the best advice I could give would be to keep your wallet shut and get used to shooting the system, and the 18-55.

Then, and only then, determine what you should buy next based on if you one, actually like the Fuji system, because its expensive to buy totally into something and then turn around and sell it all for a loss weeks later (been there done that) and also, figure out what you actually need. For example, if you find your always wishing the 18-55 was wider, then maybe you need a wide prime or zoom. Maybe you need more speed, more reach etc.

Only way to answer such questions is to actually go out and shoot. Answers will reveal themselves in time.

That said, the 50-140 f2.8 is a great lens, but its expensive, its relatively big/heavy, and unless you have a need for a fast tele zoom, your not going to enjoy just carrying it around for fun.

Dec 14, 2016 at 09:59 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

The only thing I'd add to what millsart said is that pretty much all the Fuji lenses are good. So pick what's most relevant to your type of shooting. If that's a telephoto zoom, then the 50-140 is very nice.

Personally, unless I had a good idea what I needed, I'd probably just stick to the 18-55 and one of the 23mm or 35mm primes for now.

Dec 15, 2016 at 02:19 AM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

When I switched from Canon FF to Fuji I had the idea of just buying all equivalent FL lenses to mirror what I had with Canon. However, I decided to get the X-T1 with 18-55 (in a kit) first. In the months thereafter I bought lenses which I felt I'd like to use with Fuji. It turned out these where not the equivalent FL's I had with Canon. And I am enjoying those for me new FL's

So my advice would be to start with 1 or 2 lenses and then buy on basis of added experience.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:57 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Are you referring to the 50-140 f/2.8 and the 23 f/2? Because neither of the lenses you refer to exist.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Seabassius
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Assuming you meant 50 - 140, I had my heart set on that and then went and rented it for a day and changed my mind. It was way larger and heavier than I wanted and ran counter to why switched to mirrorless. I haven't settled on a zoom yet, but leaning toward the 55 -200.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:06 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

It would be great if Fuji would develop a smaller tele prime, akin to what m4/3 has in the Olympus 75 1.8... I'd snap up a 90 f/2.8, especially if it has OIS.

Dec 15, 2016 at 01:51 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

If you find the 50-140 f2.8 too much to handle, indeed the 55-200 is the logical next option. Lighter with a still excellent build quality, decent focus speed and surprisingly sharp even wide open across it's range. It's not as often thought of but a worthy option. I had one with an X-T1 and it worked out nicely. I simply don't like ANY compromises and now that I'm fully recovered from shoulder surgery from years ago am happy to endure the added weight for the end results. The 50-140 is simply a "no compromise" kind of lens

Dec 15, 2016 at 02:11 PM
mregala

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

You can't go wrong buying fast glass! Here are my preferences, hope it helps.

General portraits: 56 f1.2
Tight portraits/headshots: 90 f2
Landscapes: 10-24 f4
Street: 35 f1.4 (I know, odd choice. The 23 was too wide for my taste, and the 35 can do portraits in a pinch when I'm traveling)

I only really use the 16-55 & 50-140 zooms when I'm shooting weddings or events and need the convenience.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:50 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Constant aperture zooms are not always better than variable aperture zooms. You should not dismiss a lens just for the lack of that perk.

My fav all-around Fuji X lens is the XF 27mm f/2.8. Fast enough for low light, good IQ throughout the frame even wide open, great size. This is my go to all-rounder for my carry-on everyday X-E2. Used for street shots and family occasions alike. It is kinda pricey for what it is new, but you can get good deals in the used market for it.

I do like the XF 35mm f/2 WR: Great AF, solid construction, good IQ. It is not really smaller than the XF 35mm f/1.4 R and not "as good" if bokeh is what you are after, but definately a good buy - especially now that a $100 reduction in its usual price is active.

The XF 35mm f/1.4 R was my 1st XF lens. The IQ was great: dreamy bokeh (as much as a 35mm can claim to have on a APS-C sensor) and sharp. Construction is "good", but unlike the f/2 WR is not IF, thus the motor is relatively loud and the AF less responsive. As the lens works harder to focus, it does feel "less solid / less "out of the way" vs. the 35 f/2 WR. It is bigger in width, but not length. Overall bulk of the camera is the same with either lens. I like that the 52mm filter thread was the same as the XF 18...although I do not use filters with my "normal" lenses- perhaps a polarize rarely - others might value the need for just one set.

XF 18mm f/2 R: This is another great option. I really enjoy the 28mm equiv. as it is workable for both people / street shots and also landscapes. The lens is sharp and "fast" at f/2, and is also a "pankake" or close to. Not as small as the 27, but still very compact.

Would not buy if I had the XF 18-55. I chose to go prime-only to keep weight and size down, thus I go around with just one lens at a time. Rarely 2, so I like the moderate WA 18mm + a 35 or the 27 as my "normal" lenses, with the latter being the most versatile.

I would recommend the 27mm, simply because it is the smallest. Bokeh and shallow DOF you can get with the XF 18-55 @ 55mm. WA shots you can also achieve with the zoom. It is bulky tho...the XF 27 is the smallest of em all.

The XF 23 f/2 is not a bad lens, but it is notably bigger and not that great of a performer optically - at least they way I read the reviews. Rather save the money and the bulk and get a used XF 27!

Dec 16, 2016 at 01:45 PM
JM81

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Thanks all for the feedback!

I did inaccurately label the lenses...23 f2 and 50-140 2.8 is what I meant.

I will look into some of the lenses and report back.

I have a sidenote. I'd like to print some of my photos at a professional shop and have them framed for myself as well as friends and family.

What is a good website or tutorial on how best to do that from internal camera settings, lightroom settings, and exporting the finished product? This would mean a lot now that the holidays are approaching thanks!! i've seen some people print 3x4 foot images on cameras and it blows my mind!

Dec 18, 2016 at 02:29 PM
JM81

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

Is there a better forum for the above question? I've used google but with limited success. Thanks in advance!

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:37 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

JM81 wrote:
Is there a better forum for the above question? I've used google but with limited success. Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you may be new to DSLR cameras. If I'm wrong excuse my response.

First thing is to get familiar with the various modes ie AV, TV, M and what each does. This will help with knowing when to use each. Just google DSLR Basics or get a book, many options available. Most all will not be Fuji or X-T2 specific. Same thing for Lightroom, there are no best settings. Best settings are in camera and understanding how to get the best results before importing into LR for additional tweaking.

As for printing many options, Adorama, Shutterfly, even your local Walgreens etc. I don't know that one is better than others and you can almost always find sales or coupons from them.

Just some generalizations the aperature (AV) determines how much of the photo in front of and behind your subject are in focus. The shutter speed (TV) controls how quickly the photo is taken, fast moving subjects require a fast shutter speed to avoid movement blur. You can also introduce blur just from your own movement taking the photo. In general is no image stabilization on the lens min shutter speed should be 1.5 x focal length. So a 90mm lens which does not have IS needs a min shutter speed of 1/135. Best results typically involve keeping the ISO as low as possible. Experiment with Auto ISO and various modes/settings it will help you understand how it all works together.

Edited on Dec 20, 2016 at 11:53 AM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:47 AM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New to Fujifilm - Got an X-T2 Help! :)

gdanmitchell wrote:
Before you get too many lenses, make sure that you know what you want. That 18-55mm "kit" lens is better than the typical kit lenses from many other manufacturers, and is a pretty credible performer. See how it works for you before you decide that you need better or more expensive.

The 50-140mm lens is a fine lens if it is something you need. (I have it.) There is also a pretty good 55-200mm zoom. I used that for several years, and I appreciated its even longer focal length at times, though it also has variable maximum aperture. It is lighter
...Show more

This "kit lenses" are better than others colored ringed lenses.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.