FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19       end

Archive 2016 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

Hey guys, seriously considering the sensor stack mod. These are the lenses I’d use primarily:

Contax g 21
Contax g 28
Cv 35 1.7/zm 35 1.4/M 35 lux asph
Contax g45
Zeiss 50 1.5
Pentax 77 1.8
Contax 100-300

It seems my best option for optimal IQ is the NKIR v3 .75? What would you all recommend? Shooting an A7rii

Nov 13, 2017 at 02:44 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Hey guys, seriously considering the sensor stack mod. These are the lenses I’d use primarily:

Contax g 21
Contax g 28
Cv 35 1.7/zm 35 1.4/M 35 lux asph
Contax g45
Zeiss 50 1.5
Pentax 77 1.8
Contax 100-300

It seems my best option for optimal IQ is the NKIR v3 .75? What would you all recommend? Shooting an A7rii

i suspect that the NKIR with the thinnest stack would be best with the contax g lenses. a kolari UT or thicker stacked NKIR would probably be better for the cv and zm lenses. the rest probably wouldn't make much difference. i'm not sure how much better or worse lenses would be between the two though. it could be that the detriment in zm/cv lenses on the .75 stack would be significantly less than the improvement of the contax g lenses compared to the m9 or kolari UT conversion (which seem about equal in my tests).

i'm basing this off just a few raws i've seen from NKIR cameras with 2 different filter stacks (.7 and .8 i think but will need to double check). it seemed to me that designed for digital leica lenses actually performed a bit worse on the thinner stack while film era lenses did better on the thinner one.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:51 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

Sebboh was kind enough to write an in-depth review of the Kolari UT Mod.

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:28 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

Phillip Reeve wrote:

Great write up Derek ...., thanks Phillip for hosting it and your website in general

Nov 14, 2017 at 06:33 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

Phillip Reeve wrote:

Thanks Phillip. Derek and I are friend’s and exchange quite a bit regarding photo stuff, and he’s always kind enough to answer my questions. Was thinking I’d get other’s input as well.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Thanks Phillip. Derek and I are friend’s and exchange quite a bit regarding photo stuff, and he’s always kind enough to answer my questions. Was thinking I’d get other’s input as well.

I know that, thanks for providing Derek with those nice lenses and the a9

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:17 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I know that, thanks for providing Derek with those nice lenses and the a9

It runs both ways, he helps me too. I knew he was writing the article, but I just now had a chance to read it. It's quite a bit more in depth than I anticipated. I think I'll know what direction I am going now. Killer article Derek. Seriously nice. And good work on your website Phillip, I remember when you announced it! You (and others) have really built something.

Nov 14, 2017 at 08:28 PM
wiley.tw

p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

sebboh wrote:
it seemed to me that designed for digital leica lenses actually performed a bit worse on the thinner stack while film era lenses did better on the thinner one.

I was using A7R2, NKIR mod v1 (1.5mm total glass, 1.5years) and v3+ (0.75mm total glass, 2 months) with Leica 35/1.4 FLE.
The improvement from original A7R2 to v1 to v3+ was obviously noticeable. Comparison v1 and v3+, the sharpness was increased even at f/5.6 corner. Another thing easily noticed was the bokeh of background white lines becomes much smooth from v1 to v3+. The comparison of v3+ to M240 also showed tie in sharpness. I am happy to stay 0.75mm on Leica digital lens.

From others post, Contax G lens and film lens seemed to be the thiner glass the better result. Focal longer than 28mm are still good enough with 0.75mm.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:06 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

wiley.tw wrote:
I was using A7R2, NKIR mod v1 (1.5mm total glass, 1.5years) and v3+ (0.75mm total glass, 2 months) with Leica 35/1.4 FLE.
The improvement from original A7R2 to v1 to v3+ was obviously noticeable. Comparison v1 and v3+, the sharpness was increased even at f/5.6 corner. Another thing easily noticed was the bokeh of background white lines becomes much smooth from v1 to v3+. The comparison of v3+ to M240 also showed tie in sharpness. I am happy to stay 0.75mm on Leica digital lens.

From others post, Contax G lens and film lens seemed to be the thiner glass the better
...Show more

that's good to hear! it was the 21SEM where i saw the slightly thicker look better, but the difference was small. perhaps it was just a difference in focus between cameras.

it seems like leica might changing how they optimize their lenses too. i've heard newer lenses like the 28 lux perform better on the SL than on the m9...

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:37 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

sebboh wrote:
...it seemed to me that designed for digital leica lenses actually performed a bit worse on the thinner stack while film era lenses did better on the thinner one.

That definitely makes sense. Would love to see how the NKIR v3 0.75 interacts with the Hologon 16. This Hologon still has smeared corners on the MM v1

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM
samlee.hk

p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

That definitely makes sense. Would love to see how the NKIR v3 0.75 interacts with the Hologon 16. This Hologon still has smeared corners on the MM v1

Here are some G16 w A7RII NKIR v3+ 0.75 mod , Capture one , Capture one film preset
there are around -2-3EV difference between center and Corner

I have been using NKIR mod around 2.5 years , I don't have any dust problems, The thin filter has AR coating that i only needed to use built-in camera cleaning function can remove 90% dust.

AWB become much more better under NKIR v3+ 0.75, color very very close to Sony orginal, I dont needed to do any other adjustment to correct it...

Direct Jpeg from SOny A7RII NKIR v3+ 0.75mm +G16 without any adjustment, AWB

Direct Jpeg from SOny A7RII NKIR v3+ 0.75mm +G28 without any adjustment, AWB

Here are 2 raw from NKIR v3+ with G16
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uydpdQ_OScrbZVYLkYJxdqbTw5fsenFF/view?usp=sharing

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:05 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

I now have two cameras with thin filters, although both do not belong to the original topic at hand.

Sony A7 "FS" with no extra glass (0.7 mm Sony cover glass).

Sony A7rIIm (monochrome camera, stripped off of its Bayer dyes) with a 1mm fused silica cover glass.

The A7RIIm, in particular, seems very friendly to old LTM, LM glass.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:23 AM
samlee.hk

p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

Any sample about r2m ? Thank a lot

Nov 17, 2017 at 01:08 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

Hi Sam,

I just received the camera yesterday. I took it out last night and this is way off topic, I am afraid. Also, this is my first A7rII! So, I have to get sued to the camera itself.

This sample was shot with a 1mm Hoya CM500 (IR cut filter) mounted inside the A7rIIm (so, total glass is 2mm), with a M Rokkor 40/2, ISO6400.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

I have a lot of glass to play around with but so far everything I mounted appears way better than they were on any camera before.

samlee.hk wrote:
Any sample about r2m ? Thank a lot

Nov 17, 2017 at 01:21 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

realVivek wrote:
I now have two cameras with thin filters, although both do not belong to the original topic at hand.

Sony A7 "FS" with no extra glass (0.7 mm Sony cover glass).

Sony A7rIIm (monochrome camera, stripped off of its Bayer dyes) with a 1mm fused silica cover glass.

The A7RIIm, in particular, seems very friendly to old LTM, LM glass.

cool, can we get more details about what exactly was done on these conversions and who did them?

Nov 17, 2017 at 01:19 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

If it is Ok, I will start a separate thread in the near future with some pictures out of this extraordinary camera.

Nov 17, 2017 at 01:23 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

Looking forward to it as well. I’ve talked to maxmax about monochrome conversions but a price I’m willing to pay. Interested in you A7FS too. I’ve taken cover glass off an A3000 and NEX6 now. A7 is likely up next. Is your no extra glass solution full spectrum?

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:35 PM
MAubrey
• • •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

uhoh7 wrote:
Kolari is now confident about pulling the base coverglass, as NKIR does. My own A7r2 is yet to be modded, so we might use that one for some tests. I was about ready to send it to NKIR in the spring, but I needed it for work.

Any ideas about when that kind of testing might be happening?

Thanks!

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:48 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

MAubrey wrote:
Any ideas about when that kind of testing might be happening?

Thanks!

I apologize, as I think I posted too soon. I got an enthusiastic email about Kolari pulling the cover. I reflected here, and followed up with encouragement. A bit later I got a response :

"For now I'm trying to work out the cover glass removal. The Sony stacks are looking more stubborn than the Canon and Nikon stacks."

I will check in again

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:54 AM
samlee.hk

p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · First Sighting: A7rii Thin filter in action

uhoh7 wrote:
I apologize, as I think I posted too soon. I got an enthusiastic email about Kolari pulling the cover. I reflected here, and followed up with encouragement. A bit later I got a response :

"For now I'm trying to work out the cover glass removal. The Sony stacks are looking more stubborn than the Canon and Nikon stacks."

I will check in again

HOPE TO SEE KV NO COVER GLASS VER SOON

Dec 12, 2017 at 01:11 AM
       19       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

19       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.