Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

austinschutz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

Question for any of you,

I have noticed that Chrome seems to be magnifying websites despite saying they are at "100%". I have noticed a precipitous drop in the reproduction quality of online images as compared to a few months ago. The same images seem magnified, soft, etc. Reducing magnification to 80% makes images look as they did before, but font is small. Has anyone had these issues, and does anyone know how to correct them?

Apologies if this is slightly OT, perhaps it needs to be in a different forum, but I assume that it could affect any of us who use Chrome (and I'd imagine that is quite a few people on this forum). Thank you!

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:23 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

Can you post screen shots from both Chrome and Firefox?
Multiple websites would be preferred.

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:41 AM
sholt
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

I've noticed the same thing.
Images posted on this forum are scaled up when viewed in Chrome. It didn't use to be that way.

I have Windows 7, and I do have the dpi scaling adjusted to something like 115 for better system font readability.
If you right click on the Chrome application icon and select properties, you can choose to "disable DPI scaling", however I found this has no effect on my PC.

I too would be interested in any work arounds to this problem. I much prefer the images shown at 100%
-Scott

Dec 15, 2016 at 05:37 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

Things look proper size for me in Chrome at 100% zoom. Not seeing improper magnification.

Dec 15, 2016 at 06:05 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

It may be the display you use as much as the particular software. I have found that with my retina displays I am always moving back and forth with magnification. Wanting a bit more magnification for most images--but not those posted on FM--and I often have small fonts on a number of different sites. My non-retina monitors (on my desktop at home and work I have 27-inch Eizo wide gamut monitors that aren't retina) I don't have these issues.

Dec 15, 2016 at 07:27 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

Jman13 wrote:
Things look proper size for me in Chrome at 100% zoom. Not seeing improper magnification.

Same for me so far - don't see any difference to before, only using Chrome browser. The only difference I recognized are annoying MS messages popping up in the task bar which try to convince me to use the IE instead....but this is a Win 10 thing.

Dec 15, 2016 at 07:32 AM
austinschutz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

Apologies for the size, my screen is 1920 x 1080. The first is at 80 percent, the second is at 100 percent. The 80 percent looks similar to how the photo looks on my computer at full size. It makes other people's photos look soft as well. I think I'm getting used to the 80% magnification, and it might be just because of my screen resolution?

Dec 15, 2016 at 01:39 PM
sholt
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

I just tried viewing the FM forum with MS internet Explorer. Images are shown at 1:1 in that browser. It's easy to see the difference if you open up the same page on each browser and place the windows side by side.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:33 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is your browser affecting how you view images?

I had the same problem a few weeks back, but it seems to have gone back to normal.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:54 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.