New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

TR3B
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

Believe it or not I am still using a 1Ds MKII and the batteries are going south...go figure!
I don't want to spend $120 on a Canon battery. Anyone still using this old brick?

Looking for a reliable generic.
Any experience with reliable aftermarket ones out there?

Thx

Dec 13, 2016 at 08:57 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

There are tons of cheap replacement batteries on eBay. Some may be better than others -- I've not encountered any "tragic" bad batteries for 1Ds, 1Ds2, and 1Ds3. Currently, I only have the 1Ds3 with several good original Canon, plus a couple aftermarket -- one is very poor fit and hard to charge, but as I recall only cost about $20 new, so no big loss.

Check product review or ebay feedback on brands you are interested in.

Dec 13, 2016 at 09:13 PM
TR3B
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

I see Canon OEM is 1650mAh and aftermarket is 2000mAh.
Risk of frying the camera?
I know the camera isn't worth much, but just the same.

Dec 13, 2016 at 09:27 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

Just get a 3rd party battery off of ebay. I'm still using a 1ds2 and they work fine.

Higher mAh just means that it can hold more power which means more actuations per charge. There's no risk of frying the camera.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:46 PM
sqphotography
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

I had that camera and 1D mk2n for 4 years and found the best batteries were by Lenmar if you can still find them

Dec 14, 2016 at 06:32 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

Jon Joshua wrote:
Higher mAh just means that it can hold more power which means more actuations per charge. There's no risk of frying the camera.

I remember a video on the internet (might be a photo series) which showed how to replace the internal rechargeable AA batteries for those cameras, they are only normal cells soldered together.

Dec 14, 2016 at 07:04 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

If the battery is dead you have nothing to lose if your handy and a do it yourself type.
Here you can see a diy replacement of a Mark IV battery which is most likely the same procedure of a Mark II battery.

https://royreddy.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/battery-pack-repair-canon-lp-e4/

Good luck!

Dec 14, 2016 at 07:56 AM
TR3B
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

Ordered one off Ebay for $16.00
Lenmar and others discontinued.
Thanks for the help folks, I appreciate it.

Happy Holidays to all!

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:57 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

Places that service battery packs for cordless tools can often replace your faulty camera battery cells. Its bread and butter stuff for them. I've had mine done in my two Quantum Turbo packs over the years.The last one done just had bang up to date black Panasonic Eneloops as replacements - though obviously the cells have to be the right spec for the device.

Pete

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:08 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

Mike Veltri wrote:
If the battery is dead you have nothing to lose if your handy and a do it yourself type.
Here you can see a diy replacement of a Mark IV battery which is most likely the same procedure of a Mark II battery.

https://royreddy.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/battery-pack-repair-canon-lp-e4/

Good luck!

That's the battery pack for the 1D3, but the general idea is the same.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

Amazon has this DSTE NP-E3 Replacement Ni-MH with pretty good reviews: 4.4/5 score out of 39 reviews is pretty good.

Dec 14, 2016 at 02:06 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

I've got 2 of those, maybe a year old now, and they work great in my 1D2n and 1Ds2. I can easily get 1,000+ shots, with still plenty of life left, and they hold a charge well when not in use, too. I think they were a bit more $ when I bought them, but they're as good as the now NLA Lenmar's, IMO.

Dec 14, 2016 at 02:20 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

when you get the Ebay one(s) remember to take the end caps off your genuine ones and use them on your new ones .
the genuine canon end caps lock into the camera much better . when I had both my mk2n I couldn't shoot reliably in portrait orientation because the camera would tend to shut down . it only ever happened with the 3rd party batteries . If i used the end cap from the only genuine battery on them everything was fine .

Dec 15, 2016 at 01:53 AM
Choderboy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

I got mine repacked with Eneloops. The cells are not soldered together, they are spot welded and those spot welders are very expensive. That's why I had mine done professionally. 2 packs done for 1/3rd cost of OEM. I like OEM as the batts are also a weather seal.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:00 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

Because the 1Ds2 uses Ni-Cad's in the battery, you must make sure you following the recommendations for charging, usage and storage. If you don't, you will end up with the same problem eventually.

Dec 17, 2016 at 01:12 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

I got into photography wasting money more than wasting time on gear, and good that i didn't buy replacement batteries, now i am hoping to sell my 1DsII alongside with A7r to get good price, i still have the box of 1DsII and most accessories, and the camera didn't see much of use anyway because i bought 5Dc exact same time with it and not so long after i bought 1Ds3.

Dec 17, 2016 at 07:42 PM
TR3B
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1Ds Battery Replacement

Well!
Bought aftermarket off Ebay- $21 shipped
Terrible fit from battery to charger.
Terrible fit from battery to camera.
Junk!
Gonna buy OEM.
Live and learn!

Don't make the same mistake.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.