New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

aly324
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

I would be surprised if nobody talked about this before, but there're a handful of high-frequency sellers on the B&S board whose activities stretch the definition of "personal gear" (as opposed to "commercial activity") as noted in this rule:

"Commercial sales are not allowed. The Buy and Sell board is dedicated to photographers selling their 'own personal' items. The board moderator will evaluate every 'suspect' listing and decide if it's commercial or not."

I myself buy and sell a lot and have no qualms with people spending their time flipping gear. But I find the rule redundant since it's so flagrantly violated. Has there been a suggestion to remove it?

If you search for M9, for example, you'll find that this unit recently sold on eBay has been flipped on B&S a few days later:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M-M9-18-0-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-Body-Only-/311752689620

Or does FM adopt a legal definition of "commercial"? As in you have to be a company to count? So it doesn't matter how often you flip as long as you're flipping as an individual?

Dec 12, 2016 at 01:31 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

This has been going on for awhile. I recommend "Reporting" the post to Fred and let him decide.
Dan

Dec 12, 2016 at 02:48 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

aly324,

Fred basically doesn't GAS so long as the add doesn't have a picture of a store front. 😉😉

Dec 12, 2016 at 03:55 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

anthonysemone wrote:
aly324,

Fred basically doesn't GAS so long as the add doesn't have a picture of a store front. 😉😉

Hmm, new use for GAS on a photography board!

Dec 12, 2016 at 05:54 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

I get creative every now and again, Fred.... all in jest

Dec 12, 2016 at 07:09 PM
aly324
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

Ha!

These people are essentially second hand traders who earn a "finder's fee" with their time--except everything takes place digitally. I don't have a problem with this per se, so I'm not exactly interested in stopping it or reporting it.

I can think of one particular so-called "photog" who's basically trading full-time. It may have started out as GAS and ADD but it's clearly morphed into a side job, if not the primary job. I've in fact traded with said person. It's so flagrant that I wonder about the relevance of the rule of "no commercial." I can only assume the rule is there to prevent B&S to become fully commercial, but isn't meant to be enforced strictly. But this causes some funny and weird behavior, like deleting photos after a sale and unnecessary verbose justifications ("I got this lens and then I sold it and then I bought it back because I missed it but it's not working for me after all!")

Above all I'm curious whether this issue has been raised and discussed before here, as a kind of sociological and pathological issue. I think many of us (I include myself in this) end up buying and selling a lot out of GAS, and the desire to try new stuff and hunt deals. Still I think the line between GAS and trading is somewhat clear to me.

Dec 12, 2016 at 08:34 PM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

I don't get hung up on what constitutes a commercial seller, but it would be good if we had more thorough disclosure of item history.

I'm much more comfortable buying something that someone bought new and used for a year vs something someone grabbed on eBay, checked out for ten minutes, then lists with no revelation of those facts.

When a For Sale item looks odd to me, like it's missing all accessories, I tend to push the seller for more info. Eventually I'll get a "bought it on craigslist" or "bought it at a pawn shop" response. I don't even mind buying those sorts of items, but price needs to reflect history.

Unknown history = more risk for buyer should = lower price. But I think many flippers are able to turn a profit by letting the buyer assume that an item is "personal gear" and selling it for the going rate on places like FM.

Dec 17, 2016 at 05:01 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

mpix345 wrote:
I don't get hung up on what constitutes a commercial seller, but it would be good if we had more thorough disclosure of item history.
Unknown history = more risk for buyer should = lower price. But I think many flippers are able to turn a profit by letting the buyer assume that an item is "personal gear" and selling it for the going rate on places like FM.

I agree but I might interject a look at years on FM and feedback over 200-300 items certainly redflags a commercial seller IMHO. No way the person( except "Will@ Trenchmonkey ) can use well over 300 items and see them back on B&S , evilBay, CL within weeks. And the persons activity on FM is limited to 99.9% B&S. Buyers must do their homework for items and take the risk associated in dealing with the many "flippers" here on B&S.
Your point is well advised "mpix345".
Dan

Edited on Dec 17, 2016 at 01:13 PM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2016 at 09:32 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

I sure DID go thru some gear...especially with the switch from
Canon to Nikon ~8 yrs ago. I'm one of those guys that buys and tries
for myself (not one to put much stock in reviews) who shoots like I do??
I've calmed down quite a bit the last few years, and can count on one hand
the things I've sold this year. More into hoarding the very best glass now.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:45 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

humm...there are 2 members here with over 400 feedback. Would that "label" them as commercial? common man, who care. As long as everyone get a good deal out of it.

Dec 17, 2016 at 07:14 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

Before I retired I taught photography at a local university and had a budget to buy equipment. Used to by 10 or 20 cameras, memory cards, lenses, you know.....stuff. All here at FM. Also trenchmonkey is my hero.

Jan 18, 2017 at 09:08 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

My "favorite", whose member name I shan't mention, was selling his Amazon Prime family member spots to strangers. Also, X-Box codes, etc.

Jan 23, 2017 at 06:40 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

dcains wrote:
My "favorite", whose member name I shan't mention, was selling his Amazon Prime family member spots to strangers. Also, X-Box codes, etc.

Haha, I remember seeing those ads!

Jan 23, 2017 at 07:21 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

In over three months on the buy and sell I managed to sell one notebook that was my travel notebook. So I dug out my old desktop notebook and listed that for $150. For two days now my listing is in red which looks as if I am the only person that can see it. My feedback in over 10 years on the buy and sell is 85.

Apr 07, 2017 at 02:15 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

I can see your FS ad for the Acer notebook just fine. Not sure what you're seeing.

Apr 07, 2017 at 06:40 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

Thank you.

Apr 07, 2017 at 07:26 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

Agree with Dean Andrew...see it fine..
Dan

Apr 07, 2017 at 08:15 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · "Commercial" activities on Buy and Sell board

Thanks Dan.

Apr 07, 2017 at 09:46 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.