Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Shoot through parabolic umbrella, use with or without reflector?

pplskills
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shoot through parabolic umbrella, use with or without reflector?

Hello, I have a giant parabolic umbrella. When using strobes, should I leave the reflector on the strobe or take it off. See photos below.

With reflector I'm not using the full modifier but I'm not wasting any power from the strobe. Am I going to get softer light without the reflector? Looks like way more light spillage to the sides. For the photo with the reflector on, The umbella maybe had another 6 inches of give to move further back from strobe which might have helped fill the full umbrella.

I will probably be wanted to shoot full body photos and some group and headshop photos with this setup. Another question...I also bought a same size reflective umbrella...What is the difference between a reflective umbrella in softness of light and spread of the light. I'm guessing that the reflective umbrella will be more focused than the shoot through umbrella? I've seen a lot of people put the silver reflective umbrella right behind the photographer for even wrapping light. I usually try to put my modifiers to the sides and not straight on. Can I still do that with a reflective umbrella?

Without Reflector

with reflector

Dec 12, 2016 at 02:03 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shoot through parabolic umbrella, use with or without reflector?

You've partially started answering your own questions with the photos you provided. Next, you want to turn the camera around to the wall and see what light patterns and strengths are produced with and without the reflector.
Note the power levels, light spread, hot spots, etc.

Understanidng your own equipiment is invaluable. For example, in the first photo, without the reflector, you can see a concentration of the light in the center. In the second, with the reflector, the light is more evenly spread. How is that going to translate to the photo? Knowing how your modifiers will act helps you determine when and how to use them. In general, reflector umbrellas control light a bit better than shoot-through, but still produce light spread. Placement of the modifiers is up to you depending upon what look you want. Flat lighting is not always the most flattering for some individuals. Knowing why you want to place the modifier to the side, straight on, above, etc. is very important.

Dec 12, 2016 at 08:46 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shoot through parabolic umbrella, use with or without reflector?

You see also more light spread to the ceiling (which I suppose goes all around) and stronger shadows from the umbrella rods in the first photos. Without the reflector you are more likely to get a hot spot on the subject as light is more concentrated.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:56 AM
pplskills
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shoot through parabolic umbrella, use with or without reflector?

Sounds like the reflector is the way to go. I will move the umbrella a little further back to see if I can take advantage of lighting the entire umbrella. Thanks guys!

Dec 12, 2016 at 02:08 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.