4       end

Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Zenon Char
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

speedmaster20d wrote:
Which hawk image are you referring to?

And yes you do need to click on each image, the default view is compressed to fit in the browser.

As for the Extenders, Canon series III extenders have no visible impact on the sharpness when attached to a series II super-telephoto lens. Any short coming is usually due to operator error

best

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks. I only had V2 Canon 2X which I sold. I was referring to the side by side hawk images.

I just decided to throw on the 1.4 with my 100-400 II to see the AF. Sure is cool to have all the AF points available. I'm looking forward to an outdoor test. I may just get more use out of my TC :-)

Just a screen shot.

~original[/IMG]

Focal does not play nicely with Sierra yet so I just matched my 7D2 settings for MFA as I know the TC throws it out to +13. Not bad for a rough go. I can already see it will give me nice IQ when I take it out. Decent AF acquisition speed.

The biggest adjustment so far is I keep thinking something is wrong as the AF array is much smaller in the 5D4. I mostly shot using single point with my previous FF bodies.

~original[/IMG]

Dec 13, 2016 at 09:18 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Hi Zenon,

That image is not a hawk it's a northern harrier. I didn't push the files, what happened is that the harrier's head angle is slightly different between the two shots relative to the sun. For birds, the sun angle has a significant impact on the perceived sharpness as it can bring out the micro structure and iridescence in the feathers.

As for the extenders, you will see an impact on the 100-400 II which isn't a series II super tele-photo lens but the quality is still pretty good for the price, the AF on a 7D2 will be a bit hit and miss though.

best

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:42 AM
Flowernut
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

any chance you will update your birds in flight 2016 manual to include the mark iv?

Dec 14, 2016 at 01:02 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Flowernut wrote:
any chance you will update your birds in flight 2016 manual to include the mark iv?

I am working on it hopefully in less than a few weeks. I wanted to use the camera for a solid 4 months before I can form an opinion. .

best

Dec 14, 2016 at 01:39 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

speedmaster20d wrote:
Hi Zenon,

That image is not a hawk it's a northern harrier. I didn't push the files, what happened is that the harrier's head angle is slightly different between the two shots relative to the sun. For birds, the sun angle has a significant impact on the perceived sharpness as it can bring out the micro structure and iridescence in the feathers.

As for the extenders, you will see an impact on the 100-400 II which isn't a series II super tele-photo lens but the quality is still pretty good for the price, the AF on a 7D2 will be a
...Show more

Yes I have noticed light makes a huge difference in detail and birding detail. Roger does say TC's are tuned for long primes.

https://wordpress.lensrentals.com/blog/2009/01/teleconverters-101/

Dec 14, 2016 at 01:46 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

I have no doubt the 1DXII has snappier AF, but one question I still havene't seen addressed is how the 1DX and 5D4 compare in a range of situations:
1. Lower light
2. Lower contrast subjects (which may also include #1)
3. With 1.4x and 2x TC's in f/8 and non f/8 combos.

I am going away for holidays in a few days to a pretty good birding hotspot and will take all three cameras (5DsR,5D4,1DX) as well as 100-400II, 500II, 150-600C, 1.4x III, 2x III, and hopefully get to try them all with BIF and waders etc.

I'm hoping I can decide whether the 5D4 is an adequate replacement for the 1DX (speed aside).

I had originally expected to get the 1DXII but large price differential and the fact the 1DXII is still only 20MP (I had prayed for 24MP) and the fact even at 700mm I found hard cropping is still required I was swayed by the 30MP rather than the 14fps. As it was I was using 5DsR more than 1DX unless speed was needed. Time will tell if this was smart decision or not.

Dec 14, 2016 at 02:33 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I have no doubt the 1DXII has snappier AF, but one question I still havene't seen addressed is how the 1DX and 5D4 compare in a range of situations:
1. Lower light

I am going away for holidays in a few days to a pretty good birding hotspot and will take all three cameras (5DsR,5D4,1DX) as well as 100-400II, 500II, 150-600C, 1.4x III, 2x III, and hopefully get to try them all with BIF and waders etc.

I'm hoping I can decide
...Show more

Are you planning to keep both 5D4 and 5DSR?

Dec 14, 2016 at 02:55 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

arbitrage wrote:
Are you planning to keep both 5D4 and 5DSR?

Possibly, because for landscape work which I like to do a lot of as well it's IQ is so good and for really FL limited stuff it would be hard to lose that advantage. Originally I thought I'd get the 1DXII and wait for the 5DsII and see what that brings to the table. But if 5D4 is sufficiently good enough for landscape and excels over 5DsR in other areas like DR, high ISO noise, AF, it may well go.

If I had to guess it would be 1DX that went before 5DsR but it would be difficult to live without a 1 series. I just wish Canon made a 1DXs with say 32-36MP, 10fps so I could have my cake and eat it too.

Hopefully the next month or two will make it much clearer what combo makes the most sense

Dec 14, 2016 at 03:19 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I just wish Canon made a 1DXs with say 32-36MP, 10fps so I could have my cake and eat it too.

Yes, two of those and I wouldn't need anything else. And that is the reason Canon won't make one...got to keep us coming back every year

Dec 14, 2016 at 03:24 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

speedmaster20d wrote:
As for the extenders, you will see an impact on the 100-400 II which isn't a series II super tele-photo lens but the quality is still pretty good for the price, the AF on a 7D2 will be a bit hit and miss though.

I'm curious about this. Both the 80D and 5D4 enjoy f8 AF advantages with the 100-400 II + 1.4xIII as they do with the 200-400 and the series II primes with 2xIII. Doesn't this imply that the 100-400 II has whatever AF magic is included with the other lenses? Not saying its up to those lenses in general but with my 5D3 I really saw an improvement in the 100-400 II when I switched from the 1.4xII to the 1.4xIII.

Dec 14, 2016 at 05:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cpe1991

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Pixel Perfect wrote:
1. Lower light

I'm hoping I can decide
...Show more

I was shocked to discover my Sigma 150-600mm C is as sharp at 600mm as my 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTC III or 400mm DO II + 1.4x, and at 400mm is approaching the DO and sharper than the 100-400mm II (2 copies). Now I can't believe that all the Canons are bad copies so the Sigma must be a high end freak. How good is yours?

Dec 14, 2016 at 05:06 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

The 1Dx has the overall edge in AF over the 5D4 in every measurable way especially with extenders. As I mention in the review, the 5D4 is not a replacement for a 1DX/1DX II If you are after certain types of photographs. Whether you really need one or not is a question you can only answer.

Dec 14, 2016 at 05:23 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I'm curious about this. Both the 80D and 5D4 enjoy f8 AF advantages with the 100-400 II + 1.4xIII as they do with the 200-400 and the series II primes with 2xIII. Doesn't this imply that the 100-400 II has whatever AF magic is included with the other lenses? Not saying its up to those lenses in general but with my 5D3 I really saw an improvement in the 100-400 II when I switched from the 1.4xII to the 1.4xIII.

Hi Jeff,

According to Canon, the new extenders (III) have a micro-controller that can talk to the CPU in the series II super-tele lenses for improved AF accuracy. The controller has some kind of look-up table with values calibrated to each TC at the time of its manufacturing that applies correction factors to the AF calculation for each individual TC, hence the more accurate AF with series III extenders and II lenses. To my knowlegde Canon have not specifically indicated that this is true for non super-telephoto lenses like the 100-400 but that might be why the AF was better.

As for the AF speed for 100-400 II + 1.4X III (on any camera even 1D), it really depends on what you really want to shoot and what kind of quality is acceptable to you. For me it is not usable but some users might be happy with it, it will be somewhat frustrating for most types of BIF though as the lens will hunt a bit

Hope this helps

Dec 14, 2016 at 05:31 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

cpe1991 wrote:
I was shocked to discover my Sigma 150-600mm C is as sharp at 600mm as my 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTC III or 400mm DO II + 1.4x, and at 400mm is approaching the DO and sharper than the 100-400mm II (2 copies). Now I can't believe that all the Canons are bad copies so the Sigma must be a high end freak. How good is yours?

I haven't directly compared it to the 100-400II yet, but it's definitely not as good as the 500 II or 500II + 1.4x, but it's still very good even wide open and I was not expecting such good performance for such a small outlay. Based on shots I've taken with the 100-400II + 1.4x I'd say the Sigma is comparable in IQ and my 100-400II is excellent. To me it's good enough and AF performance at least on the 1DX is excellent. I need to see how it goes on the 5DsR and 5D4 next.

Dec 14, 2016 at 06:11 AM
Flowernut
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Possibly, because for landscape work which I like to do a lot of as well it's IQ is so good and for really FL limited stuff it would be hard to lose that advantage. Originally I thought I'd get the 1DXII and wait for the 5DsII and see what that brings to the table. But if 5D4 is sufficiently good enough for landscape and excels over 5DsR in other areas like DR, high ISO noise, AF, it may well go.

If I had to guess it would be 1DX that went before 5DsR but it would be difficult to live
...Show more

I'll be interested in your thoughts. I'm toying between the 5DsR and a second 5Div. The 50mp without the filter is still alluring for landscapes which I too do a lot of. Yet in Bosque, I really would have liked to have had a 2nd 5Div instead of the 5dsr for fps iso and f8 AF.

Dec 14, 2016 at 03:27 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Thanks Arash. I realize the 100-400 is a compromise all else being equal. For me the cost and size/weight of the big whites isn't justifiable. I can manage the 100-400 in group tours and on small, in-country airlines. The question is will a 5D4 offer better performance with the 100-400 than my current 5D3? The specs suggest 15% more reach and a few more cross type f8 AF points in the center and the linear outer points. I'd hope to see a bit better performance in AI Servo. I'm not asking you to answer this directly, just accumulating clues.

Thanks for your review its very informative and been helpful. Cheers.

Dec 14, 2016 at 04:38 PM
coreyhkh

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

I had my finger on the checkout button for the D500 all Black Friday weekend but decided to keep my 7D2 and picked up the 5D4 on the weekend. I'm not struggling with my 7D2 but for some reason I got ticked off at Canon for not offering a top crop with dedicated AF processor and such. After thinking about selling all my gear which I really like, Nikon's menu system and ergonomics I decided the grass was not green enough. That 80D sensor is special and I figure the 7D3 will have at least that if not improved. It may even have a motorized mirror like my 5D4 which I love. The 80D has it and maybe that is the trend. Not sure if they can use that with FPS. I don't know the mechanics behind it. We'll see about the AF. I'd pay extra for a dedicated AF processor.

I dont know why you care if it has a dedicated AF processor and the 80d sensor is not that good, its worse then the 7dmkii at higher ISO levels

Dec 14, 2016 at 09:15 PM
RogerZoul
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

dorian wrote:
Right now the 7D2 + 400 DO II + 1.4x III suits me well when the AF works. I have, however, recently become so frustrated with the inconsistent AF that its time to look for another body to replace/complement it.

....snip....

dorian wrote:
I love the reach and AF 'promises' of the 7D2 but need something that delivers more consistently in practice.

....snip....

Just curious....did you try another 7D2? Mine seems to be very consistent on the 400 DO II.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

That review has sold me on a 5dIII.

Dec 17, 2016 at 04:10 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

I dont know why you care if it has a dedicated AF processor and the 80d sensor is not that good, its worse then the 7dmkii at higher ISO levels

I would like to have the 1DX II AF in a crop.

Dec 17, 2016 at 04:16 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password