FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV
FM member Arash Hazeghi @speedmaster20d, posted a field review on the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV.
The review is very informative and the photos presented are equally great.

Even if you are not in the market to acquire this camera Arash's write-up is definitely worth reading.

Here is the link.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR is in stock at B&H Photo.

Dec 11, 2016 at 04:13 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

I've been waiting for this and hounding Arash with requests for this review.

Once again this is easily the best review out there for people into bird photography and even for those into mammals and landscapes.

Thanks so much Arash for the effort this took. I'm strongly considering a swap from my 5DSR to the 5D4. Well more than considering as I already have a For Trade posting in the B&S from a week ago!!

I am a little disappointed that the 400DO/2xTC isn't as good as my 1DX2 but I sort of expected that from the lack of the dedicated AF processors.

Thanks again Arash.

Dec 11, 2016 at 05:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Is the 400/4 DO II w/2x really up to par optically at 30MP?

EBH

Dec 11, 2016 at 06:35 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

All canon series II super telephoto lense are extremely sharp with the Extender 2X III. Even the 50 mega pixel 5DSR doesn't scratch the surface when proper long lens technique is used.

Hope this helps

Dec 11, 2016 at 07:04 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Excellent review, Arash!

EB-1 wrote:
Is the 400/4 DO II w/2x really up to par optically at 30MP?

EBH

On my 7D II, whose pixel density is 50+ MP when its sensor is scaled up to FF, the 400 DO II + 2x TC III is still sharp even wide open. Thus, I expect that combo's IQ to be even better with the slightly larger pixels of the 5D IV.

Too bad that AF at f/8 with the 5D IV is still not as good as the 1Dx series.

Dec 11, 2016 at 07:40 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Super review. Did what a review ought to do—identified the most important unanswered questions and cleared them up. Convinced me that the new 5D IV is a great all around camera, and also that I probably won't buy one soon. The side-by-sides of the feather details is what did it—good improvement over the 5D III, but much less than you see with the 5DS-R. That plus the somewhat disappointing auto-focus report at f/8.

Put those together, and it seems like compared to the 5D IV, you might reasonably hope for better ultimate performance with a 5DS-R, using a 400 DO II with the 1.4 extender, to keep things at f/5.6.

Thanks for a terrific review.

Dec 11, 2016 at 08:31 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Good review. Thanks for posting.

Dec 11, 2016 at 09:15 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Great review Ari, thanks for putting it together. I am, however, as conflicted after reading it than I was before! The below is just as much for laughs as anything else, so please don’t feel the need to weigh all of it and/or make a decision for me. I’m sure other seasoned bird shooters (Geoff, e.g.) on this board will do that anyway.

My shooting style is unique in that I am also a die-hard birder (for those that know/use eBird, you can find me at: http://ebird.org/ebird/profile/NTUxNzE3/world). What this means is that I am constantly juggling the two passions, generally shooting when light is good and birding when it sucks. I am actually not as interested in the low light/high ISO capabilities as I have long since put the camera away in favor of birding the moment the light deteriorates.

Right now the 7D2 + 400 DO II + 1.4x III suits me well – when the AF works. I have, however, recently become so frustrated with the inconsistent AF that it’s time to look for another body to replace/complement it. As much as I’d love a DX or DX2, those just don’t suit my shooting style given that I seem always to be focal length limited. I shoot a lot of tiny birds, so focal length is at more of a premium than for larger birds. I do some BIF, but don’t focus explicitly on it. I also like to carry my rig on a shoulder strap as I bird, so the smaller 7-series and 5-series work much better in that respect.

So, right now I think I have 3 options.

1) 5D4 + 400 DO II + 2x III. This combo has roughly equivalent reach to what I have now but will very likely have better IQ.

2) 5DsR + 400 DO II + 1.4x III. Here I’d sacrifice frame rate for better AF and detail compared to what I have now. That’s not an unthinkable compromise since I’m not all about BIF. Unsure about 2x with this body and its small pixels. That might be getting greedy.

3) 1DIV + 400 DO II + 2x III. I used to have a 1DIV and regretfully sold it when I got the 7D2. That sale helped fund the 400 DO II. This set-up would not be as easy/comfortable to carry around but is way cheaper than either above option.

It is worth noting that I also have a 500/4 v1, but I only use it when I can get somewhere and get some undisturbed personal space. Kinda tough here in LA.

I love the reach and AF 'promises' of the 7D2 but need something that delivers more consistently in practice. Either 1 or 2 above might fit the bill nicely. I might actually lean toward the 5DsR as it can be had used and isn’t likely to be used in bad light given my birding proclivities. I am actually giving serious consideration to option 3 simply because of the price difference between the ~$3500 5D4, the $2700 5DsR (used), and the ~$1000 1DIV (used). Given that I don’t make crap for pay now and am likely to be unemployed for a while starting in March (when I move to SF for my wife’s job and I leave academic science to try to make it as a writer/adventurer), having that extra ~$2000 bucks to travel/bird/shoot in that unemployed window would be nice.

What I really need to do is throw down for a used 5DsR and a used 1DX. Then I’d have all bases covered, reach and portability in the 5DsR and AF and high ISO in the DX. Might be time to sell the 500/4 to raise some funds. That would be beyond painful.

If only I could use CRISPR to make a money tree………

OK enough. I'm bored with no photos to edit, sorry,

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:43 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Great review and great images. Seems like a great all around camera but I haven't seen so little interest in a new canon body since the 30D. The mkIV seems to be a flop in my community. Probably because people are pretty content with their gear and it's going to take something special to upgrade. Bring on the 5DmkV already.

Dec 12, 2016 at 01:16 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Let me get this straight. You can turn dual-pixel RAW off, but dual pixel AF is still active during shooting. Dual-pixel Raw is just the extra raw data and it can be saved within the CR2 file, or not. Is that how it works?

Dec 12, 2016 at 02:16 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Hi Dorian,

It seems to me that you are making things very difficult and convoluted for yourself. You have a fundamental problem, that is shooting small birds in a wild environment with a short lens (400mm) without being able to get close to your subject.

If you are after quality photographs you need to focus your efforts on how to get closer to your subjects, that means setting up blinds, shooting from a vehicle or signing up for workshops where blinds are setup and you can get close to your subject. Avian photography isn't like birding where you can make attractive photos of a bird from a quarter mile away. you need to get close enough, and at that point all of the "reach" arguments will be null.

I always tell this to folks, you need to get close to birds. Cropping and farming smaller pixels on a far bird isn't going to get you far. Some locations that are ideal for birding are just not going to work for quality photographs, I would just take a great pair binoculars and enjoy

best

Edited on Dec 12, 2016 at 12:22 PM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2016 at 02:39 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Let me get this straight. You can turn dual-pixel RAW off, but dual pixel AF is still active during shooting. Dual-pixel Raw is just the extra raw data and it can be saved within the CR2 file, or not. Is that how it works?

By default the camera integrates the signal form both photo-diods in each pixel saving a standard RAW with one 14-Bit integer per each pixel. With dual pixel camera effectively saves two RAW files which are combined in a single CR2 file, this file contains 2 X 14-bit integers for each right and left diode per each pixel. Canon DPP software can then construct the final image from this data depending on the recipe

best

Dec 12, 2016 at 02:43 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Not a bird photographer but I really enjoyed this read! Well done.

I find my 300 2.8 II with 2x. mk III converter to work reasonably well on the 5d4. It's a great little camera.

Dec 12, 2016 at 04:43 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

The side by side Northern Harrier comparison is a bit confusing. I think he's pointing out that the 100% crop on the 5D4 has 22% more resolution yet when looking at the two shots the 1DX-II appears significantly sharper. Wish he'd compensated the 1DX shot to approx same size.

Dec 12, 2016 at 07:58 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

dorian wrote:
Great review Ari, thanks for putting it together. I am, however, as conflicted after reading it than I was before! The below is just as much for laughs as anything else, so please don’t feel the need to weigh all of it and/or make a decision for me. I’m sure other seasoned bird shooters (Geoff, e.g.) on this board will do that anyway.

My shooting style is unique in that I am also a die-hard birder (for those that know/use eBird, you can find me at: http://ebird.org/ebird/profile/NTUxNzE3/world). What this means is that I am constantly juggling the two passions, generally shooting
...Show more

I guess I have to chime in now

If you stick with the 1.4TC on the 400DOII on the 5DSR then that will be a great combo for sitting, wading, floating birds in average to good light. I haven't found the 2xTC to give me much benefit on the 5DSR with the 400DOII or the 600II. It gives me some benefit on the 1DX/2 but not the 5DSR or the 7D2 when I had that.

1D4 would be a good option to save you a lot of money as the ISO would be similar to what you have in the 7D2. 1D4 is a much simpler camera with not having all the AF options and back button customizing you can do on the newer bodies. The one thing I really didn't like in the 1D4 was the size of the AF boxes....much bigger than the new systems and therefore it seems harder to really place it on a smaller portion of the bird. Otherwise the AF on the 1D4 was much more consistent than the 7D2 for me.

5D4 with a bit more pixel density than the 1D4 would be ideal even with the lack of 3FPS but that is the most expensive right now as really not many used ones out there. ISO is much better on it as we've seen in many tests and now in Arash's review.

Hard choices. I'm still hoping someone wants to swap me a 5D4 for my 5DSR which would cost me only $300-$400. If I sell and buy new it will cost me $1100-1200 and I only got the 5DSR in May so I don't think I will go that route right now. Especially now that I know the f/8 AF isn't as good as the 1DX2. Still would be nice to have all the AF modes and to be able to compose better without recomposing as you have to do on the 5DSR with only centre point at f/8.

Dec 12, 2016 at 08:06 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

dorian wrote:
I love the reach and AF 'promises' of the 7D2 but need something that delivers more consistently in practice.

I think there are a lot of Canon users in your situation. A 7D3 that rivals the D500 is badly needed. All the other solutions are just short term compromises.

Dec 12, 2016 at 08:39 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Get rid of that 7 and rename it the 9 for better luck. Only kidding, kinda. The 7 series have had a close but no cigar history.

Dec 12, 2016 at 08:47 AM
cpe1991
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Arash
You always use high shutter speeds for sharp images, even for perched birds. Do leave the IS on or do you turn it off?

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

ggreene wrote:
I think there are a lot of Canon users in your situation. A 7D3 that rivals the D500 is badly needed. All the other solutions are just short term compromises.

I had my finger on the checkout button for the D500 all Black Friday weekend but decided to keep my 7D2 and picked up the 5D4 on the weekend. I'm not struggling with my 7D2 but for some reason I got ticked off at Canon for not offering a top crop with dedicated AF processor and such. After thinking about selling all my gear which I really like, Nikon's menu system and ergonomics I decided the grass was not green enough. That 80D sensor is special and I figure the 7D3 will have at least that if not improved. It may even have a motorized mirror like my 5D4 which I love. The 80D has it and maybe that is the trend. Not sure if they can use that with FPS. I don't know the mechanics behind it. We'll see about the AF. I'd pay extra for a dedicated AF processor.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:23 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Field review of the new Canon EOS-5D Mark IV

Zenon Char wrote:
I had my finger on the checkout button for the D500 all Black Friday weekend but decided to keep my 7D2 and picked up the 5D4 on the weekend. I'm not struggling with my 7D2 but for some reason I got ticked off at Canon for not offering a top crop with dedicated AF processor and such. After thinking about selling all my gear which I really like, Nikon's menu system and ergonomics I decided the grass was not green enough. That 80D sensor is special and I figure the 7D3 will have at least that if not improved.
...Show more

I would expect and hope that the 7D3 has the full f/8 cababilities, more than the 80D or at least same as 80D but works with all f/8 combos and not just two of them. Although, I wonder if on the crop sensor the light is not able to reach the outer points on the 65 pt system in the 7D2 and that may limit giving it all 65 f/8 points. Or maybe they have a new and hopefully better system in the works for 7D3. I still think we will be waiting till 2018 for the 7D3 or else very late 2017 if we are really lucky.

2016 will be about the 6D2, Rebels (as always), 5DSRII (maybe) and the rest will be lenses...hopefully 600DO and 200-500(600) f/5.6 competitor with Nikon.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.