New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Passport type photos

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Passport type photos

I'm getting ready to take some self portraits for various uses like passport photos, and for submission with credentials for several events. I'm thinking of a white background and using either or both of the following setups a two light at 2-1 and a two light with reflector and a separation light.

Will either of these work for passport photos or does it need flat lighting. I'll lookup the requirements before the actual shoot so everything is fresh in my mind.

Any corrections or suggestions?

Dec 11, 2016 at 09:30 AM
Odyssey1812

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Passport type photos

It's been a few years since I shot my own passport photo, but the key things I recall are 2" x 2" in size, white background, color photo. I did a quick search for you and the link below shows the exact requirements.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

Dec 11, 2016 at 02:49 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Passport type photos

Even though it takes time, grubbing around state.gov is the best route. They even give lighting schemes! As a studio photog, I found shooting a passport sheer torture because one has to suppress every artistic element. Some of the photography requirements: flat lighting, subject head on, white or off-white plain b/g, no retouching. Subject requirements: no makeup, no smiling. For the studio shot below, I generated ambient fill for most of the light: my niece looked like a cadaver (the passport ideal). Since I couldn't stomach the result, I added a little directional light in the form of a 2nd light through a diffuser panel. Calling it the key would be an exaggeration.

Example of a white b/g portrait that would not be accepted:

In summary, you do not want your promotional headshots or portraits to look anything like a passport photo.

Dec 11, 2016 at 03:33 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Passport type photos

Odyssey1812 wrote:
It's been a few years since I shot my own passport photo, but the key things I recall are 2" x 2" in size, white background, color photo. I did a quick search for you and the link below shows the exact requirements.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

Thanks I new the size and was hoping on a white bag but hadn't checked, my real question was does it have to be flat lighting or can it be a2-1 ratio light setup.

Dec 12, 2016 at 06:24 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Passport type photos

rico wrote:
Even though it takes time, grubbing around state.gov is the best route. They even give lighting schemes! As a studio photog, I found shooting a passport sheer torture because one has to suppress every artistic element. Some of the photography requirements: flat lighting, subject head on, white or off-white plain b/g, no retouching. Subject requirements: no makeup, no smiling. For the studio shot below, I generated ambient fill for most of the light: my niece looked like a cadaver (the passport ideal). Since I couldn't stomach the result, I added a little directional light in the form of a 2nd
...Show more

Well I question no ratio lighting thanks. Need to knock them out this week

Dec 12, 2016 at 06:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Passport type photos

Are you allowed a white background? In the UK it has to be a very light grey - white is not allowed anymore

Dec 12, 2016 at 09:26 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Passport type photos

White backgrounds are allowed. Glasses, however, are not. It's complicated.

Ref: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

Dec 12, 2016 at 01:30 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Passport type photos

Considering the headache it can be I'd just go to a walgreens or a CVS where they will take them for you, and print. You'll pay a premium but you'll get the terrible mugshot photo that the government loves for your passport.

When we took the photos for ours we went to the post office as the recommended location, 3 of us got passports my then 6 year old son's was rejected for some unknown reason. They're not clear on that. We did his retake at CVS, no problem. Used CVS for China visas too, no problem there either.

Again, they're overpriced and crappy quality but unless you got time to burn and patience to spare I'd just go somewhere.

Dec 13, 2016 at 02:16 PM
JThomas
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Passport type photos

The spec's have changed... slightly.
Here

You can now have a natural smile.
"Taken with a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open"

I personally wouldn't push it much, but at least the "photographee" can look a bit more pleasant.

Dec 15, 2016 at 05:05 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password