New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Boston Skyline

znikon5
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boston Skyline

Hi all,
Attached are 2 versions of a Boston skyline. I blended two images together in order to capture the highlight detail of the sky with the shadow details of the city/buildings and the car trails. I am wondering which image you prefer. I enjoy the darker image since it "hides" the ugly house in front and doesn't look as HDR-ish. I would appreciate your thoughts.

© znikon5 2016

© znikon5 2016

Dec 10, 2016 at 09:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boston Skyline

I prefer the top image, but consider cropping off some of the bottom to reduce the impact of that house. It's not really ugly, just out of place for the rest of the scene.

Dec 10, 2016 at 09:48 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boston Skyline

#1 is my choice and agree with Ben on the FG house.

Call me crazy but last night when I first viewed this I could swear someone had shared an edit on this and even though I was viewing it on a tablet, it looked pretty nice to my eyes.

Dave

Dec 11, 2016 at 02:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boston Skyline

You mean this?

Dec 11, 2016 at 02:52 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Boston Skyline

Yes! That's it. What happened to your post?
You had written a ton of good advice in that post and I thought it was very helpful.

Dave

Dec 11, 2016 at 03:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Boston Skyline

What, me write a bunch ... no way, Jose. That never happens.

Dec 11, 2016 at 03:21 PM
znikon5
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Boston Skyline

Thanks for the helpful comments. It'd be nice to see the post or the advice if you would rather PM me. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2016 at 04:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Boston Skyline

No worries, I can recant most of it.

Of the two, My pref was for #1. My .02 on your revision to #2 was to reduce the amount of competition that the foreground housing was providing against your skyline. #1 seems to have a significant amount of blue cast (understood at time of day light source). While you chose to reduce the tonal value of the foreground in #2 to help mitigate that competition, I chose to adjust the WB (masked to lower half) render the neighborhood a bit closer to neutral.

The cool foreground vs. the warm sky represents complementary hue contrasts. As we are prone to detect contrast (of varying form), this puts these two sections in competition for our attention. So, if you want more attention to the warm areas, by adjusting the cool areas toward neutral, then the contrast of warm vs. cool is reduced, and then we aren't pulled quite as hard to the cool areas (now closer to neutral).

Whereas you choose to reduce the attention to the cool areas by adjusting their luminance, I just went a different route via hue ... more than one way to skin a cat.

Dec 11, 2016 at 06:08 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.