Keep LLC? Other crops? Other input?

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2016

Dec 10, 2016 at 07:47 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Green Cay

This is gorgeous only thing missing is color:-)

Dec 10, 2016 at 09:44 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Green Cay

I am with Ben on loving color. Even so I have to admit this is a strong image.

Dec 10, 2016 at 09:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Green Cay

I dunno ... the tonal gradations in some areas are rather subtle (and others, nicely contrasty). I wonder if color would obliterate them to a less refined subtlety.

I think part of what makes this image is the differing areas of tonality ... thus giving different visual depth cues. Not sure how much of that might get lost in the color version.

Trying to consider what media to print this one on. I'm wanting to go metal / metallic, but it does look like it might have some bright areas that would be better suited for something different, maybe a pearl?

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:23 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Green Cay

I like metallic paper for images with a lot of silver tones. I think this one would work well. The next option I rarely use and that would be a glossy paper to mimic the old fashioned papers.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:07 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Green Cay

Holy tonality, Batman!

Great one, Scott - don't you dare think about doing this in color.

If metallic wouldn't work how about a semi-gloss?

Cheers,

Jeff

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:55 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Green Cay

Looks like I'm the oddball here with this one. This one isn't working for me.

I don't know if this is because of my little vision issue, which seems odd if it is because this isn't in color, but it visually feels too busy with multiple bright areas that pull my eyes randomly throughout the image. The trees on the right look muddy or something.

This is a beautiful scene that appears to be well captured and your composition is spot on.

Not the first time I've been the oddball and I'm sure it's not the last so don't put much weight on my critique.

Dave

Dec 11, 2016 at 02:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Green Cay

+1 @ the multiple bright areas ... which is part of my earlier comment about @ print media choice. I initially thought they might be blown, but the numbers aren't too bad when I checked them. Monitor variance might be in play a bit here too.

Dec 11, 2016 at 03:13 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Green Cay

Thanks for all the feedback.
If it goes to print, I think metallic paper on aluminum would work well.

Dave, I am a bit mixed about this myself. I feel it has lots of Wow! and I totally love that IR sky, but it also feels busy, disorganized in ways you were describing. And the lower contrast, muddier trees are an issue to me as well. Personally I prefer the calm, more serene Green Cay II scene.
Ultimately I think this image succeeds because of the busy-ness of it and the strangeness of the sky. But I think it can only work printed large where different aspects can be gradually viewed.

Scott

Dec 13, 2016 at 09:24 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.