New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Talk me into buying DXO

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Talk me into buying DXO

So does it have gradients and local adjustments like LR?

Dec 15, 2016 at 02:35 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Talk me into buying DXO

dhphoto wrote:
So does it have gradients and local adjustments like LR?

Yes, though handled a bit different than say Lr. Has pre-sets and split toning. Room for more work on their part here, I think.

It's local adjustments can be done via the multipoint tool, but it doesn't have a brush selection tool. Would be a great addition. Have worked DXO with ON1 that does have brush selection - very interesting. Need more time on the interaction to make a "grand pronouncement."

Robert

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Talk me into buying DXO

dmcphoto wrote:
I think DXO handles noise, highlights, and fine details very well - better than the Adobe products. I think you can get better results from "problem images" with DXO but to do it you still need to do lots of tweaking rather than accept the automatic default settings. For most images (low noise, well exposed, sharp) it doesn't make much difference. If you often shoot long exposures and/or at ISO extremes it might be worthwhile, for instance. Proper exposures of a fraction of a second at low ISO settings using a decent camera won't benefit enough to justify it, IMO.
...Show more

I am a longtime LR user and have DXO and use it as a DXO plugin. Yes, for me it all about problem images particularly noise (especially from dark images). DXO Prime noise reduction is IMO far superior to LR and is really worth if for me.

DXO Prime noise reduction changed the way I shoot sometimes.... I now am not afraid of shooting at higher ISOs. As a bird photographer, bird bodies can be dark and parts of them can be white.... so it is not unusual to use the LR brush on dark underwings.... only to have them look cartoonish and a mess with noise. Further, shooting birds require cropping and that just makes any problems appear worse.

I pop the RAW over to DXO.... DXO auto applies a bunch of stuff so I had to set it up to not do anything, then I crop, maybe increase shadows, and then apply Prime Noise reduction and the import back in to LR (as a 16 bit TIFF as per DXO recommendation). This is just SO SO much better than LR.

Overall, I think DXO is superior to LR that if they had a brush like LR, I believe I would probably dump LR. DXO is missing a brush, that gradient tool, and some other nice things... but their sliders just seem better at stuff overall.... but its their Prime noise reduction that is worth the price of admission.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:23 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Talk me into buying DXO

The ability to apply DXO's actions with a brush like device would dramatically enhance its usefulness/ease of use. I need to find their feedback email and strongly request "topical application of affects."

Bruce really nails it in describing how DXO does incredible things with too dark/light. I've worked with the program off and on since v. 7.0, but it is only with v. 10 it really became invaluable to me. Overlooked is the the remarkable power of Viewpoint. It has saved my bacon on several occasions. The Filmpack is a B&W utility. I like some of its presets - particularly the old film types. I don't use it extensively because my style often needs to pull small or light points of color back into an image. Filmpack doesn't seem to do this well.

In fact the only tool in my kit (I muck about with B&W quite a bit) is the venerable but still remarkably powerful SFXPro. Goggle bought NIK, made the tools free and … Not sure what business model was involved in that.

As noted earlier the conjunction (in OS X) of Luminar, Affinity Photo, DXO, ON1, and MacPhun's plugins are seriously threatening the Adobe hegemony in my work. What's not there is a true relational database that will hold/tie together all my work along with modifications stages and virtual states.

I haven't heard a whisper along this line and let's face facts, there's nothing sexy in databases (at least to those who don't understand their power). A tool that allowed you to not only organize by your imposed naming/marking sequences but also could do image recognition search/match would be incredibly valuable, particularly for those like me who have large databases running back over years of work.

Robert

Dec 15, 2016 at 08:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.