Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

ADClope

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

So, I just recently bought a used Nikon D700. Having issues with the command dial, which I posted in another thread, but just noticed something else weird.

When reviewing an image taken in PS, the serial number listed is NOT the same as the one printed on the tag on the camera, under File>>File Info>>Camera Data

The camera has SN2066170, PS is showing SN2134753...

Doesn't seem right to me??

Dec 09, 2016 at 11:29 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

Interesting.
I just checked some old files of mine against my D700 serial number and they matched, the box, the camera bottom, and the raw file opened in Photoshop using your technique. All were 2105813

Did you get a box with the camera?

It is possible some repair work was carried out and something was replaced...

I would be curious where you bought it, did you get the original box and receipt, and what you paid.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:27 AM
kingmeow
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

It's not just the box. I think OP is even saying that the Nikon sticker on the bottom of the camera has a mismatched serial number. If that's the case, it's even weirder. Not like someone used a wrong box.

Dec 10, 2016 at 07:16 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I know what the OP said, which is why I spent time looking at my old gear list and sales images last night.

All three should match. The camera serial number, the box, and the EXIF. That's how it comes from the factory. And if you are extremely lucky, the sales receipt, warranty card, etc. etc. all have the serial number also. That is evidence. Personally, I wouldn't buy a camera from someone without a box and receipt, but that's just me. Sure, a box can be replaced, but to me it also shows a certain pride of ownership and respect for the future owner that you have these items.

So, I would like to know what the OP actually bought and where? Heck, I'd like to see a picture of the box, the camera bottom, and the EXIF... Maybe it's a forged sticker.... There was something going around a few years ago....

Here are examples.

The first click:

Jan 1st 2008.
1 for the shutter count.
EXIF: of 2105813
Camera: 2105813

Dec 10, 2016 at 08:07 AM
ADClope

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

Okay guys, here's some photo's of what I'm talking about.

No box. Bought used off Amazon through ABC Camera (FWIW they had pretty good seller rating with several thousand reviews, so felt somewhat safe buying from them... lesson learned it seems)

Camera will be going back as the shutter count is 10,000+ off too from what they advertised.

Still curious how the differentiation in serial numbers happens?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z315/98Redbird/20161210_100453.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z315/98Redbird/2016-12-10%2010_07_40-DSC_4227.NEF.png

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

Sounds like you have a repaired camera and the board was replaced.

Morris

Dec 10, 2016 at 01:00 PM
hiudufhuk

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

I'm sorry to hear about your camera. I will try and give you an accurate and precise answer.
There are two buttons, one each side of the viewfinder, with green dots. Turn the camera on and press both buttons together for about 5 seconds.This will reset the camera and hopefully fix your problem.Let me know if it doesn't.Nikon D700 Manual is here if you need more help.

May 05, 2017 at 01:51 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

will nikon confirm the authenticity of both serial numbers?

if the seller is not authorized usa dealer, then i would expect the s/n shown from the exif data to be an imported model.

May 05, 2017 at 02:48 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D700 Serial Number Mismatch??

I once had something similar to this on my D700 after Nikon South Africa repaired it...
It's likely the main board was replaced and the serial number was not flashed to the mainboard.
My repaired D700 came back from Nikon with no EXIF serial number, and it needed to go back to get flashed.

Same deal once with a Macbook Pro after logic board replacement... also forgot to ad a serial number after repair, which caused havoc with Adobe Photoshop licensing.

If you can live with it, then just ignore it, as it's probably a repaired camera using salvaged parts. But since you have other issues, and you are within a return period then I would consider returning it.

May 05, 2017 at 06:22 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.