New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Considering moving into MFT

frosty1987

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Considering moving into MFT

A bit of an off topic aside here but for the casual shooter that does portraits for fun here and there, is there any real reason to get the E-M1 II over a Pen-F?

Both have 20MP. E-M1 II might have slightly better IBIS? I would be using mainly 25mm to 42.5mm focal lengths (maybe the 75mm 1.8 as well)

Dec 13, 2016 at 04:53 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Considering moving into MFT

No ... not really. The E-M1 II is good for action/sports/wildlife. The E-M1 can handle almost anything and everything except fast-action photography.

frosty1987 wrote:
A bit of an off topic aside here but for the casual shooter that does portraits for fun here and there, is there any real reason to get the E-M1 II over a Pen-F?

Both have 20MP. E-M1 II might have slightly better IBIS? I would be using mainly 25mm to 42.5mm focal lengths (maybe the 75mm 1.8 as well)

Dec 13, 2016 at 04:59 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Considering moving into MFT

4 if you have deep pockets; 2 if you have medium pockets; the rest of us working class people can only afford 1 system.

k-h.a.w wrote:
Not too many systems. Four is about right, in my case Leica, Nikon, Olympus, Sony.

K-H.

Dec 13, 2016 at 05:06 PM
frosty1987

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Considering moving into MFT

bobbytan wrote:
No ... not really. The E-M1 II is good for action/sports/wildlife. The E-M1 can handle almost anything and everything except fast-action photography.

So would you recommend the E-M1 (gen 1) over the Pen-F even? You lose the 20MP but you gain weather sealing and it would be much cheaper.

I wonder if any retailer still sells a new gen 1 E-M1. i've seen ebay listings for brand new camera bodies from 3-4 years ago.

Dec 13, 2016 at 05:10 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Considering moving into MFT

Sorry, I meant to say Pen-F instead of the E-M1, but now that you mention it - Yes, both cameras are very capable and highly-spec'd and loaded with features. And you can get a used E-M1 for about half the price of a new Pen-F which makes it a very good buy.

frosty1987 wrote:
So would you recommend the E-M1 (gen 1) over the Pen-F even? You lose the 20MP but you gain weather sealing and it would be much cheaper.

I wonder if any retailer still sells a new gen 1 E-M1. i've seen ebay listings for brand new camera bodies from 3-4 years ago.

Dec 13, 2016 at 05:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Considering moving into MFT

frosty1987 wrote:
I wonder if any retailer still sells a new gen 1 E-M1.

Of course they do. You can find them at retailers everywhere, including your local Lens & Shutter store:

http://www.lensandshutter.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog[name]=Olympus-E-M1-OM-D-System-Camera---Body-Only---Black-e-m1&catalog[product_guids][0]=1281410

Needless to say you can pick up mint used ones for half that price.

Dec 13, 2016 at 05:47 PM
TopOfOlympus

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Considering moving into MFT

I spent quite a while debating between which brand I will use for m4/3
I just couldn't get the Olympus UI...
I tried a Lumix GX7 at a store and fell in love with the interface.
Today I received my new GX80/85 and I've been with it all day with a smile on my face

Dec 13, 2016 at 06:44 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Considering moving into MFT

The E-M5 Mark II is what I would recommend. A number of issues with the E-M1 were fixed in the E-M5 Mark II and in functional areas it is the equal of the E-M1 camera and has a better rear display that is like the new E-M1 Mark II camera - and I have all 3 cameras.

A new E-M5 Mark II is sells for $900 and used copies for around $700 while currently a used E-M1 can be bought for around $600. Not a lot of difference in the overall scheme of things.

Dec 18, 2016 at 06:08 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Considering moving into MFT

bobbytan wrote:
4 if you have deep pockets; 2 if you have medium pockets; the rest of us working class people can only afford 1 system.

Well, for most of my life I couldn't or wouldn't afford even one camera system. Other priorities, house payments, college education costs for 3 kids, ...
So, now in retirement I have to keep my brain cells exercised. Four systems with more than a dozen cameras seems to accomplish that just fine.
"If you don't use it, you lose it."

K-H.

Dec 18, 2016 at 06:18 PM
nma
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Considering moving into MFT

One reason to favor the E-M1 is that has a more advanced focusing system, with both phase and contrast detection.

As a practical matter the E-M1 can utilize the older 4/3 lenses, like the f2.5-3.5 50-200 lens, which can be found used for reasonable dollars. This lens is a bit of a beast but the image quality is far better than I got with the Canon f 4.5-5.6
100-400 lens. There are other 4/3 lenses that might make sense at low prices, too.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:38 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Considering moving into MFT

Absolutely! You have earned it and certainly deserves it! Life is too short. Enjoy it while you are still able to do so!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Well, for most of my life I couldn't or wouldn't afford even one camera system. Other priorities, house payments, college education costs for 3 kids, ...
So, now in retirement I have to keep my brain cells exercised. Four systems with more than a dozen cameras seems to accomplish that just fine.
"If you don't use it, you lose it."

K-H.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:43 AM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.