New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Considering moving into MFT

60HzShuffle

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Considering moving into MFT

I already bought a minty used Oly 12-40mm Pro but have not bought a body yet. Would you all recommend a nicely used Olympus E-M1, Panasonic G85 or something else? Not sure I am ready to invest into an E-M1 Mark II. I have full frame and a Fuji kit, so this is a bit of an experiment for me...your input is appreciated as I do not have hands-on experience with the cameras I mentioned.

Dec 09, 2016 at 09:37 PM
String
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Considering moving into MFT

I've never used any of the Panasonic bodies so I'm probably a bit biased; You really can not go wrong with the E-M1. It is still a very good camera and has been continually updated (firmware) by Olympus since release. It does take a bit of setting up properly and the menus can be a bit daunting however there are a lot of good guides and references out there for assistance. Once you do get it set up for your style, you really dont need to menu dive after that.

The added bonus is that its really cheap now!

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:10 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Considering moving into MFT

+1. You can pick up a used copy for $500-600. It's A LOT of camera for that price - packed with features, and it will match perfectly to your 12-40 PRO lens with incredible image stabilization.

String wrote:
I've never used any of the Panasonic bodies so I'm probably a bit biased; You really can not go wrong with the E-M1. It is still a very good camera and has been continually updated (firmware) by Olympus since release. It does take a bit of setting up properly and the menus can be a bit daunting however there are a lot of good guides and references out there for assistance. Once you do get it set up for your style, you really dont need to menu dive after that.

The added bonus is that its really cheap now!

Dec 10, 2016 at 01:44 AM
nma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Considering moving into MFT

If you want a strictly manual, simple, simple camera, the E-m1 is a hoot. But ... If you enjoy having a supremely customizable shooting experience with a very capable camera, the E-M1 is a hoot. Also, the combination of the 12-40 and the E-M1 is great.

Let us know how it goes.

Dec 10, 2016 at 03:01 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Considering moving into MFT

This guy has done pretty well with the E-M1:

http://www.firstlightworkshop.com/wheres-jay/

Dec 10, 2016 at 03:28 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Considering moving into MFT

The M1 is a great deal at present. Be aware, the menu system is not very intuitive nor are the camera settings at times. Sometimes the simplest thing(like setting the camera for "silent shutter") will make another setting unavailable. It will not prompt you the source of the problem so spending time with the manual is advised.

Dec 10, 2016 at 02:14 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Considering moving into MFT

Another vote for the M1.

It is one of those cameras that despite its quirks (see above) is capable of producing fine images and is just fun to use.

Dec 10, 2016 at 05:09 PM
60HzShuffle

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Considering moving into MFT

Wow, I thought I would get a few Panasonic recommendations but you guys seem very supportive of the E-M1!

Dec 11, 2016 at 01:19 AM
alexmilesg3

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Considering moving into MFT

I vote for the PEN F.

Dec 11, 2016 at 03:45 AM
George Welch
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Considering moving into MFT

Imagemaster wrote:
This guy has done pretty well with the E-M1:

http://www.firstlightworkshop.com/wheres-jay/

I would certainly agree.

Dec 11, 2016 at 07:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

60HzShuffle

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Considering moving into MFT

Well, I went back and forth on this. And as usual, I ended up spending too much money and pre-ordered the E-M1 Mark II..... Thanks for the input!

Dec 11, 2016 at 08:32 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Considering moving into MFT

60HzShuffle wrote:
Well, I went back and forth on this. And as usual, I ended up spending too much money and pre-ordered the E-M1 Mark II..... Thanks for the input!

Dec 11, 2016 at 09:21 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Considering moving into MFT

Wow ... you went for broke! That's real brave of you. Anyways, we are here to give you any guidance or help that you may need with regards to camera operation, lens selection, etc. Welcome to the m43 world!

60HzShuffle wrote:

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:12 PM
60HzShuffle

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Considering moving into MFT

Thanks, I appreciate that!

bobbytan wrote:
Wow ... you went for broke! That's real brave of you. Anyways, we are here to give you any guidance or help that you may need with regards to camera operation, lens selection, etc. Welcome to the m43 world!

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:25 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Considering moving into MFT

60HzShuffle wrote:
Wow, I thought I would get a few Panasonic recommendations but you guys seem very supportive of the E-M1!

I got rid of my E-M1 because I couldn't live with the UI or external controls - just didn't work for me. Apparently I'm a Panasonic m43 guy.

BUT I realize that I'm not everyone and the E-M1 is certainly one heck of a camera if you can get along with it. Give a used one a try.

Dec 12, 2016 at 05:28 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Considering moving into MFT

I'm very much in the same boat a jhinkey here; having problems with the ergonomics of the Olympus bodies, but feeling very much at home with the Panasonics, mainly because the ergonomics of the latter are more similar to the DSLR bodies (Nikon) that I came from. When that is said, both the original E-M1 and the original E-M5 can be had for peanuts now, so I'm probably keeping mine for now.

The really sweet cameras in my view are the Panasonic trio GX8/GX85/G85. The GX85 and G85 are exceptional value for money, while the GX8 is the coolest camera I've used in a long time. It does most things right. It's like having chateaubriand after months of KFC's chicken surrogate

See also my descriptions of the E-M1 vs. GX8 in the thread jhinkey started about the two.

Dec 12, 2016 at 06:01 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Considering moving into MFT

60HzShuffle wrote:

Congratulations! Terrific move! Great choice.
I hope my E-M1.2 will arrive later this week.

K-H.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:37 AM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Considering moving into MFT

If any of you guys just need someone to 'test out' those shiny new E-M1.2's, I'm just here to let you know that I'm willing to sacrifice the time to help . . .

Dec 12, 2016 at 01:14 PM
60HzShuffle

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Considering moving into MFT

I'm into too many systems now, time for a Youtube video pitting Nikon, Canon, Fuji and now Olympus for a face off of sorts. I'm lucky to be in the position and feeling a little guilty about it but it maybe my project when I'm off over the next two weeks....

Dec 12, 2016 at 05:10 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Considering moving into MFT

60HzShuffle wrote:
I'm into too many systems now, time for a Youtube video pitting Nikon, Canon, Fuji and now Olympus for a face off of sorts. I'm lucky to be in the position and feeling a little guilty about it but it maybe my project when I'm off over the next two weeks....

Not too many systems. Four is about right, in my case Leica, Nikon, Olympus, Sony.

K-H.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:36 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password