Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Looking Back on 2016: What "Changed the Game" for You

Marty Bingham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Looking Back on 2016: What "Changed the Game" for You

I smell what you're Cookin' Trevorma. But as the old saying goes, one door closes another one opens. Have fun shooting your young'uns...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/snaptie2002/DSC_9492.jpg

Dec 20, 2016 at 01:38 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Looking Back on 2016: What "Changed the Game" for You

What changed the game for me was an accident while shooting a HS District Championship Baseball Game. It happened on Memorial Day and I was shooting at a stadium I was overly familiar with when I shot for the AAA Yankees.

But it didn't come from a hit or thrown ball...a flying bat...a collision with a player. I just got up from a squat position getting ready to get the end of game celebrations and I leaned on the rail of the dugout. I had my 1DX with a 24-70 II around my neck and I was holding my 1DXII with a 70-20 II. The next thing I remember I was laying face down on the concrete floor of the dugout in a puddle of muddy water and I initially couldn't move.

After I started to gain my senses back I thought I got hit with a ball or bat and as I got more coherent all I could hear is the EMT's telling me not to move and then my gear flashed in my mind and I popped up into a sitting position. The EMT's started to tell me I fell backwards from the rail and into the dugout landing on the floor which was about six feet down. Needless to say I missed the end of game shots and the next game.

So what happened is when I got up and sat on the rail...I blacked out and fell backwards. After about 20 minutes I walked very slowly with the EMT's to the medical office and about this time is when it all started to hit me with the pain...a golf ball size knot above my with eye...some cuts and scrapes that needed attention and a massive headache caused by a major concussion.

All medical tests on the heart, scans, bloodwork and whatever else they did revealed nothing. It was just that I got lightheaded and went out....contributing factors was overweight (no doubt), I didn't eat anything that morning...I had 4 cups of coffee....the heat in which I was all over the stadium and didn't hydrate properly. When I was in the ER....the doctor that treated me said your pain will get really, really bad before it gets worse and he wasn't kidding. I was out of commission for 3 weeks.

Actions I took after this accident....I haven't lost any weight but I will as my New Years Resolution (I promise) but I eat something even if it only a banana and a granola bar and I always have a bottle of water in my vest pocket.

Seven months later I'm dealing with major neck issues with herniated and bulging discs that I'm being treated for that is still extremely painful but my left-right-up-down mobility of turning my head has significantly reduced. Also I can't sustain long periods of shooting because of the spasms I get...unless I beef up the pain meds. But this summer when I shot the Eastern Regional LL Softball Tourn and LLWS with Paul Alesse....I definitely struggled while shooting with the reduction of mobility, pain, fatigue and not being able to maneuver like I did prior to the accident. But I just try to do the best I could and over the last 7 months I've learned to compensate for some of the deficiencies.

On the positive side is I walked away from this and I'm not in a wheel chair or worse. Falls demo that height have been known to be fatal in some cases. Also my gear only sustained one tiny scratch on the camera housing of my 1DX2 and you really have to look to see it. And I feel confident that over the next few months I'll be pretty much back to normal.

It was about 2 weeks after the fall that I finally went to my gear to examine it for damage and clean it. I also downloaded all the images from the game. As I'm looking thru the images I come to the very last one (which is attached) and I'm trying to figure out what it was. And it was from my 1DX2 which I was holding in my hands and as I'm looking at it...the light bulb came on...it's the netting that is attached to the rail of the dugout to keep the balls out and as I was falling or on impact my finger hit the shutter butt one last time and this was it. So I have this on my phone and I look at it frequently to remind me of that and to keep me from doing the things that led to this accident.

I did return to the field in August to shoot an MiLB game and one thing I didn't do was sit on and dugout rails.

Stay Safe out there
Frank

Dec 25, 2016 at 09:38 AM
mphocus
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Looking Back on 2016: What "Changed the Game" for You

Frank Lauri wrote:
What changed the game for me was an accident while shooting a HS District Championship Baseball Game. It happened on Memorial Day and I was shooting at a stadium I was overly familiar with when I shot for the AAA Yankees.

But it didn't come from a hit or thrown ball...a flying bat...a collision with a player. I just got up from a squat position getting ready to get the end of game celebrations and I leaned on the rail of the dugout. I had my 1DX with a 24-70 II around my neck and I was holding my
...Show more

Wow Frank what a story. I am glad you and your equipment are safe. I hope that your future sees less pain. Thank you for sharing and reminding us to always be careful 😊

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Looking Back on 2016: What "Changed the Game" for You

Frank Lauri wrote:

But it didn't come from a hit or thrown ball...a flying bat...a collision with a player. I just got up from a squat position getting ready to get the end of game celebrations and I leaned on the rail of the dugout. I had my 1DX with a 24-70 II around my neck and I was holding my
...Show more

wow ... glad you're back in action

Dec 25, 2016 at 02:30 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Looking Back on 2016: What "Changed the Game" for You

MP & CW.....thanks for the encouragement.

Frank

Dec 26, 2016 at 08:49 AM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Looking Back on 2016: What "Changed the Game" for You

Frank,

Harrowing story. Thank goodness you're ok. You'll be better than new in no time.

Dec 26, 2016 at 04:04 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Looking Back on 2016: What "Changed the Game" for You

Thanks Mikal. Otherwise a lot of Canon gear will hit the Buy/Sell sooner than planned.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.