Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tripod-choosing help (for travel)

brodyq

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod-choosing help (for travel)

I've done quite a bit of research, but I'm just lost in a maze of model numbers and options. Can someone please give me some specific options to consider, based on these parameters? I'd be eternally grateful.

-I'd like to buy used, and preferably under $600 or thereabouts (but please recommend whatever, and I can see if I can find one used if it's the Holy Grail)
-I will mostly be hiking and traveling with this in a carry-on bag (this is my priority, it needs to be small when folded!)
-I don't tend to raise the center post (more unstable?), so do I even need one?
-I'm 5'8" but not opposed to stooping a little bit for shooting, if it means the tripod is lighter/more portable
-would prefer carbon fiber rather than aluminum
-My heftiest lens is 80-400mm lens that's about 8" long when collapsed, weighs about 4 pounds. I probably won't be going much larger/heavier than that...

Also, while I have you here- oh god I know nothing about HEADS for tripods... I'm mostly hoping to shoot landscape and wildlife, with some night photography thrown in here and there.

Thank you so much for your help. I just found this site and can't wait to start participating.

Dec 08, 2016 at 09:51 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod-choosing help (for travel)

I use and like my Feisol CT-3441T from ReallyBigCameras....it is a slightly custom model that I believe they only have. Have a look at the other models as you may not need the T version. Here is a link to all the models to compare: http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods

Here is the link. http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tall_Traveler.htm
I actually use it with a 600f/4 on it sometimes.

EDIT: I think back in 2009 it was a custom for RBCs but now I think you can get it from B&H etc...

Dec 09, 2016 at 08:46 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod-choosing help (for travel)

Feisol and Sirui would both be good brands that you could get new. I have a Feisol 3401 that runs under $300 new. You can get with or without center column. I went without. It's 52" tall set up and about 18" closed. I use a Kirk BH-1 ballheads $275or so. It's a good combo. I have used it with my large format camera. That's probably pushing it but for a travel tripod it works well. It will easily hold the 100-400 type lenses but you will want a lens foot on it.

Works very well with a DSLR and wide and mid range lenses.

I have used it for travel and it's been a very good tripod for 8+ years.

If you want used watch for a Gitzo 2 series with four leg sections. KEH gets them on occasion and they go about $300.

A Sirui K20x or K30x might be a good ballhead option for you to look at. They get great reviews and run about $140 new from B&H.

So I think you can certainly get a decent setup for under $600.

Good luck!

Dec 09, 2016 at 10:09 AM
brodyq

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod-choosing help (for travel)

Thanks! I'll check out the Feisols. (I was also checking out the Myfoto carbon fiber tripods last night after posting this, those look pretty ok)

I'm very curious what's the difference between a stock ball head that would come with a tripod, and one that's $275? Is it really that big of a difference (and if so, what is it?)

Thanks for indulging my questions.

Dec 09, 2016 at 02:12 PM
persco

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod-choosing help (for travel)

I had a MeFoto Backpacker for a year. It was inexpensive and tiny when folded (about 12") and extends to 51". I liked it, but found it was too short. I also found the legs bowed a little (I had the aluminum version) and it wasn't rock solid stable. I used a RRS BH-30 on it.

After spending several weeks absorbed in researching I finally decided to bite the bullet and go for a Gitzo 15145T. I use the RRS BH-30 on it, as well. The difference in folded length was pretty substantial (it folds down to just under 17"), but the weight is the same. I love this tripod. I find it much more stable than the MeFoto and it extends much taller to over 60".

Others I considered were the RRS TQC-14 (but it's a bit larger) and the new travel tripod from FLM - but it was several months away from commercial availability and I didn't want to wait.

I travel on extended trips - several months to years at a time - so I cannot have more than one tripod. I was trying to find the best compromise among stability/weight/price. I decided to go for stability and size/weight over low cost. I'm very happy with it.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:04 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod-choosing help (for travel)

Some stock ballheads are ok. I have a tiny Sirui 025x. It's a carbon fiber model. I ditched the center column. It's 36" tall and came with a Sirui C10 ballhead. It's decent for its size. Great for mirrorless and for ultralight travel. Use it for non photography trips with my NEX 6 kit. Too small for a DSLR and a 80-400 lens though.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:36 AM
koban

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod-choosing help (for travel)

for traveling I used the Surui t025x nice small tripod. Its not quit sturdy also when removing the center column. I used it the Fujifilm X T1 and Sony a7r II. I decided to go for a Gitzo 1555 (series 1 traveller) with a RRS bh-25 pro. This combination is 350 grams heavier. More stable etc.

For traveling I find my Gitzo series 2 traveler with Marlins Q3t to heavy so the series 1 is a great travel companion.
https://wagner.photography/sirui-t025x/

Dec 11, 2016 at 06:09 AM
kosin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod-choosing help (for travel)

Just a heads up, NatureScapes.net is having a 20% off sale on everything in store with a coupon code: holiday16
https://store.naturescapes.net

I was able to get a 20% off of a Gitzo tripod, saving $200!

Dec 11, 2016 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.