New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Need help finding a modifier

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help finding a modifier

I normally use Apollo type folding softboxes octa actually but the umbrella mount on my quadra lights are smaller and will not accept the standard umbrella shafts so what I need is to fins a folding umbrella style octabox that will fit the quadra lights. Anybody got and idea besides the high price elinchrom modifiers that will work.

Dec 08, 2016 at 11:40 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help finding a modifier

The Elinchrom Varistar umbrellas are worth looking at. They produce a very night light and are easy to set up. But you would need to use the reflector adapter so you can use the wide angle reflector with the Varistar.

Edited on Dec 09, 2016 at 04:35 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2016 at 01:28 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help finding a modifier

I agree with Gregg; the Varistar is a very good modifier, and the easiest to set up. You do need the wide angle reflector to hold the umbrella correctly. I use it all the time, especially as a broad fill, but you can use it up close too.

Another option might be the Photek Softlighter. I ships normally with the standard 8mm shaft (which is the problem you're trying to avoid), but I was told by a representative of Photek (might have actually been the owner), that they have a 7mm shaft option as well. Before moving to Elinchrom, I used the Softlighter extensively. It provides really nice light and is very easy to set up.

Dec 09, 2016 at 04:19 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help finding a modifier

Well using eBay as a source it appear I can get a cheap octabox 47-48" for under $60 if I go with umbrella or a folding with bowens mount I have one adapter I know of and a second wouldn't hurt since the first is on the other side of the Mississippi. Have to pay twice the price for one already in the USA. I want it to use Xmas morning I think. I read several years ago of a good setup for Xmas morning over at dtrobist.com putting one light each in opposing corners of the room set them to equal but correct power and you'll get good lighting iirc you bounce the light if the walls and or ceiling are white. But I want an additional setup for posed images the strobist is great for candid shots. Used it once before. Plus I'm wanting a 47-48" octabox with eggcrate bowens mount is best as I've two speedlight holders that uses that mount plus the one adapter to elichrom I know I have and I might even have a bowens to speedotron adapter for my old studio lights.

When I get home several things are getting listed for sale like that speedotron kit, a quantom qflash and accessories plus three canon 550ex speedlites several folding lightstands that I no longer have a need for. Two cstands, one reflector holding light stands and one or two others folding stands then the rest go. I plan on picking up a couple of elb packs and one more action head and two of the has heads and maybe another s head just to balance everything out. Four quadra packs can push eight heads if needed plus two speed lights should be enough light get the modifiers that will work with those lights and everything fits in a skb golf nag hard case, nalpak and a 1430 and 1440 pelican toploading cases the small one for speedlites and pocket wizard radio the 1440 for the basic quadra kit of two pack four battlers four lights cables for four heads blues a couple extension cables for the heads and maybe even a mainextension cord plus the elinchrom mod adapters and the conversion adapters if I double that I'll add a second 1440. I'm wanting to empty my 1660 and use it for storage plus a 1650 for transport the other 1650 will be used for computers transport sell all but one of the smaller 1550 to use for over flow or airflight travel if needed.

Dec 12, 2016 at 06:51 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password