New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Suggestion for duplicate-post problem

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestion for duplicate-post problem

FM software can post the same message repeatedly if the poster uses the browser back-button to edit. I've tripped on this problem from time-to-time. One solution is allocating a message ID for the message being created. Whenever HTTP posted, the message will simply overwrite the previous version if it exists.

Dec 08, 2016 at 12:48 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestion for duplicate-post problem

Well,
I always read what I have written immediately after posting. To look for typos and misspellings anyway.
If it doubles up I simply delete the duplicate before anyone has had a chance to post below mine. It's very simple rather than Fred going through gyrations that are unnecessary. No harm, no foul.

Dec 08, 2016 at 01:34 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestion for duplicate-post problem

Most forums have a flood control or similar back end option to prevent a user from making the exact same post within a short period of time. Alternatively a user can be prevented from making any two same or different posts within a certain period of time.

EBH

Dec 08, 2016 at 03:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestion for duplicate-post problem

My latest duplicate went to a fresh page where I failed to notice the snafu. My bad.

Dec 08, 2016 at 03:18 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestion for duplicate-post problem

What makes you say it is FM software and not a minor faux pas on the part of the poster? Not trying to be condescending, finger pointing or irate towards you, just interested in knowing.
I follow what Craig suggests.
Dan

Dec 08, 2016 at 02:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestion for duplicate-post problem

Danpbphoto wrote:
What makes you say it is FM software and not a minor faux pas on the part of the poster? Not trying to be condescending, finger pointing or irate towards you, just interested in knowing.
I follow what Craig suggests.
Dan

That's not the entire point. Forum software should prevent multiple identical posts caused by human error or more commonly poor server performance or connectivity.

When one presses the send reply button and nothing happens for 30+ seconds what are the choices? If one does nothing the post may be lost if it did not go through since FM does not have an auto-save or restore feature as others do.

If one presses send reply a second time perhaps the post will go though and one will see a single post. Of course that is fine. If that send reply goes through and reveals that there are now duplicate posts the poster needs to go back and delete one before somebody posts again. OTOH, if that second send reply still does not produce a post then does one keep trying and risk a larger number of replicates or do nothing and risk the possibility of losing the post? Another option is to open Wordpad or something to save the text of the post on a local machine.

In any case it is still a PITA compared to other forums I've frequented that had post previews, auto-save/restore and flood control features 10+ years ago.

EBH

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:18 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password