New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

Must be a dumb question as I can't find any info on it.

Are mirrorless cameras the same as dslr's, in that only some will AF at f8?

e.g. with the E-M1 Mark II and the P/L 100-400, could you put a TC on it and get AF?

Dec 07, 2016 at 10:35 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

Funny, I was just saying how it's easier to focus at f/8 or 16 with an EVF or live view than with a film camera on another thread. I use 5.6 a lot with an old 300/2.8 with a focus shift, as f/8 does have a bit more dof than I like, though.

So if you had to mf, you wouldn't be completely in a bad way. I thought it was a good question, hopefully someone will be along soon who can answer.

Dec 07, 2016 at 10:41 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

I should have added, not using live view.

Dec 07, 2016 at 10:48 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

Mirrorless is always live view whether it's the EVF or rear display.

Dec 07, 2016 at 02:54 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

Not sure about my GX7 (have not got it with me at the moment) but my A7s certainly does.

At least using my A7s and Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 it can be set to focus either stopped down or not by selecting "Live view display" on or off (also applies to the EVF).

With it ON, it still focuses even at the smallest apertures and never opens up at any time, so I would guess it would work the same with a slow lens and AF converter. It is pretty slow and hunting to focus at the likes of f18 though.

I have the setting OFF though so it focuses before stopping down to shoot and is a lot quicker to focus at the likes of f18 (which I would likely never use anyway).

The slowest AF lens I have tried was my 180 5.6 APO Sigma and that needed a LA-E4 adapter which lost a little light due to the mirror and that focused ok on the A7s/A7.

Dec 07, 2016 at 02:54 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

There is no TC that will work with the PL 100-400 lens, as far as I know. The Oly MC-14 TC will only work with the Oly 300/4 and 40-150/2.8 PRO lenses. Not sure if the TC will also work with the new 12-100/4 PRO lens. And yes, you can easily AF with these lenses at f8.

Edit: Apparently you cannot use the MC-14 TC with the new Oly 12-100/4 PRO lens.

Imagemaster wrote:
Must be a dumb question as I can't find any info on it.

Are mirrorless cameras the same as dslr's, in that only some will AF at f8?

e.g. with the E-M1 Mark II and the P/L 100-400, could you put a TC on it and get AF?

Edited on Dec 07, 2016 at 11:42 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2016 at 08:51 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

Imagemaster wrote:
I should have added, not using live view.

You can zoom in in the EVF. Like I was Joeking said, it's live view in the viewfinder. Really handy for mf.

Dec 07, 2016 at 09:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

Seems odd that Panasonic does not make a 1.4x TC and that the Olympus TC only works with a couple of lenses.

Dec 08, 2016 at 01:57 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

Imagemaster wrote:
Seems odd that Panasonic does not make a 1.4x TC and that the Olympus TC only works with a couple of lenses.

Same with Fuji - their TC only works with a couple of lenses.

Dec 09, 2016 at 01:18 AM
FerBatista
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

According to some homemade tests AF should work at much smaller apertures than DSLRs.
I've tried masking the front element of my 100-300 on a G5, masked down to F/16 AF worked perfectly, as easily as without the mask.
Tried the same with a Nikon J5 with a 30-110 masked to F/11 it also worked perfectly with no hunting at all, even focusing on a white wall (very little detail). Also PDAF appeared to work, it wasn't as it happens in low light when the camera reverts to CADF, there was zero hunting.

Although at this point it's probably a bit useless since there appear to be no TC/lens combination that does this, but it might be useful in the future, so it's good to know.

Dec 09, 2016 at 04:03 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AF at f8 with mirrorless

bobbytan wrote:
There is no TC that will work with the PL 100-400 lens, as far as I know. The Oly MC-14 TC will only work with the Oly 300/4 and 40-150/2.8 PRO lenses. Not sure if the TC will also work with the new 12-100/4 PRO lens. And yes, you can easily AF with these lenses at f8.

Edit: Apparently you cannot use the MC-14 TC with the new Oly 12-100/4 PRO lens.

Thanks. So it is.

BTW the Oly MC-14 TC can also be used with adapted Leica R lenses just fine. Of course, no AF.
Some, but not all Leica R lenses can use Leica APO-Extender-R 1.4x or 2x. They then can be adapted to m43.
The MC-14 holds up indeed very well as compared to the APO-Extender-R 1.4x.

K-H.

Dec 13, 2016 at 06:12 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.