Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

I currently have the buff mount on it. I didn't see an option for Bowens mount so I emailed them 4-5 days ago and never heard back so I assume they don't officially support it. Anyone do this conversion?

Dec 07, 2016 at 02:42 PM
AlphaPhotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

jzucker wrote:
I currently have the buff mount on it. I didn't see an option for Bowens mount so I emailed them 4-5 days ago and never heard back so I assume they don't officially support it. Anyone do this conversion?

How do your like your Kacey dish and how long did it take to receive it? It seems the site always says a 4-6 week wait for them. Is this accurate? Thanks

Dec 08, 2016 at 04:23 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

i like it a lot. Mola performance without the cost. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't get back to my inquiry though. I'll probably buy a cheap bowens ring and drill holes in it.

Dec 08, 2016 at 12:30 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

I converted my Mola Demi using a generic Bowens speedring, the dedicated one was $70. Just make sure you get a speedring that lays flat on the dish (Assuming that the Kacey BD has the same design as the Mola).

jzucker wrote:
i like it a lot. Mola performance without the cost. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't get back to my inquiry though. I'll probably buy a cheap bowens ring and drill holes in it.

Dec 09, 2016 at 09:24 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

which generic ring did you use? All the ones I see are really deep and with the design of the Godox flash tube, it would put the tube behind the dish.

Dec 09, 2016 at 12:02 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

I bought one of these speedrings to use with a PCB beauty dish. It was too deep for a bare-bulb flash, so I cut off the flange, and then used epoxy to affix it to the BD. It will not come off.

Dec 09, 2016 at 01:54 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

how did you cut it off? With a sawzall? I'd love to see a picture of how you cut it and glued it.

I was thinking of getting this one. It looks a little easier to drill and work with. It's not as deep as the one you listed or the fotodiox ones that I have. I'm thinking I could mount it from the inside of the dish to gain a minimize the depth a little more.

http://www.adorama.com/glsrpopbo.html?utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_source=dealtime

Dec 09, 2016 at 02:14 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

jzucker wrote:
how did you cut it off? With a sawzall? I'd love to see a picture of how you cut it and glued it.

I was thinking of getting this one. It looks a little easier to drill and work with. It's not as deep as the one you listed or the fotodiox ones that I have. I'm thinking I could mount it from the inside of the dish to gain a minimize the depth a little more.

http://www.adorama.com/glsrpopbo.html?utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_source=dealtime

This particular adapter was pretty easy to cut with a hacksaw. The edge was then filed to ensure that it would lay flat against the back of the BD. fyi/The small holes are the result of trying a different adapter that had been attached with screws.

Dec 10, 2016 at 07:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

how did you make a sturdy epoxy connection on such a thin edge?

Dec 12, 2016 at 02:43 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

Have you thought of an adapter your mount to bowens? Check ebay they seam to have all configurations of adapters.

I got a bowens to elichrom I think is the correct terminology adapts my bowens mount modifiers to work with mt quadra lights using the elinchrom adapter. I have a bowens mount beauty dish that I got several years ago around 09

Dec 12, 2016 at 06:21 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

Michael White wrote:
Have you thought of an adapter your mount to bowens? Check ebay they seam to have all configurations of adapters.

I got a bowens to elichrom I think is the correct terminology adapts my bowens mount modifiers to work with mt quadra lights using the elinchrom adapter. I have a bowens mount beauty dish that I got several years ago around 09

With an adapter i'd have a problem where the flash tube wouldn't be inside the dish.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:08 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

i wonder if this would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Glow-Adapter-HexaPop-Softboxes-Lumedyne/dp/B00S5ULQG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481573811&sr=8-3&keywords=glow+pop+softbox

Dec 12, 2016 at 08:19 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

bigironcruiser, i got the speedring that you linked to but the flange is angled about 30%. How did you get yours to lie flat? Or are they made differently now? I misunderstood your original posting. I thought you hacksawed some of the depth off the space between the flange and the bowens mount and then glued that back on. I see what you did not but since my flange has the 30 degree angle, I'm not sure how I'd get a good connection to the BD.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:52 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

jzucker wrote:
bigironcruiser, i got the speedring that you linked to but the flange is angled about 30%. How did you get yours to lie flat? Or are they made differently now? I misunderstood your original posting. I thought you hacksawed some of the depth off the space between the flange and the bowens mount and then glued that back on. I see what you did not but since my flange has the 30 degree angle, I'm not sure how I'd get a good connection to the BD.

The flange was completely removed with a hacksaw, then the cut edge was filed to get it as flat as possible. I smeared a fair bit of Loctite Metal/Concrete Epoxy on the BD, then set the adapter into the epoxy. I then squirted additional epoxy on the inside & outside of the adapter where it makes contact with the BD. I put a fairly heavy weight on the adapter until the epoxy had time to set. It's definitely there to stay.

Dec 22, 2016 at 03:17 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

so you took off the flange and the 1/8" rim? Could you post a picture of it on the dish? I kind of wonder if it could be glued to the inside of the dish without doing all that?

BigIronCruiser wrote:
The flange was completely removed with a hacksaw, then the cut edge was filed to get it as flat as possible. I smeared a fair bit of Loctite Metal/Concrete Epoxy on the BD, then set the adapter into the epoxy. I then squirted additional epoxy on the inside & outside of the adapter where it makes contact with the BD. I put a fairly heavy weight on the adapter until the epoxy had time to set. It's definitely there to stay.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Convert Kacey Beauty dish to Bowens mount?

jzucker wrote:
so you took off the flange and the 1/8" rim? Could you post a picture of it on the dish? I kind of wonder if it could be glued to the inside of the dish without doing all that?

This is a rough sketch of what it looked like after removing (what I call) the flange.

Dec 22, 2016 at 01:11 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password