Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Basic flash question (580 EXII)

therealthings
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Basic flash question (580 EXII)

Hi,

I recently aquired a flash for some fill flash backlight scenes. Now i have the following problem.
When camera is set to continuous hi-speed mode the flash sometimes fails to fire. Let's say i make a burst of 5 images, it fails to fire 2.

Also the pre-flash does not fire to aquire AF in extremely dim situations. Not sure why.

Equipment used: Canon 1dx mark II and 580 ex II with 70-200 F4.
Camera Settings: Mode M 1/100 iso AUTO @ F4
Flash settings: ETTL +/- 0

Please let me know what to do.

Regards,

Marcus

Dec 07, 2016 at 08:04 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Basic flash question (580 EXII)

That's normal operation for speedlights. The recycle time exceeds the burst rate of the camera so in effect, the flash cannot recharge quick enough. The recycle time of the 580ex II is from .1-second to 6-seconds depending on the power level used. That's with fresh batteries. The recycle duration will get longer as the batteries loose charge. That's also based on manual flash. When you add ETTL and the pre-flash it gets slower.

You'll either have to change your shooting style to allow the speedlight to recharge or go to something like a studio strobe with a much faster recycle capability.

Dec 07, 2016 at 08:46 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Basic flash question (580 EXII)

Possible Speedlite remedies include using NiMH cells (higher electrical current than alkaline), and setting ISO to manual so you can dial it up. You can also reduce camera FPS.

Dec 07, 2016 at 09:15 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Basic flash question (580 EXII)

Thanks guys, will try tonight.
I am using High capacity Eneloop batteries by the way.

And according to my questiopn about the pre-flash (assist beam?) for AF. Any idea?
I know i used a flash years ago that flashed a couple of times to aquire AF faster in dim lit situations. Is it normal that my combo doesn't do this? I mean, extremely low light situations make AF very sluggish, where with a pre-flash it could theoretically flash to aquire AF and measure the light to calculate the ISO. But that's just my theory.

Dec 07, 2016 at 09:31 AM
ross attix
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Basic flash question (580 EXII)

Your flash cannot recycle fast enough to keep up with your shooting rate.
You need to get into manual power mode on the flash, and dial it down to 1/4, 1/8, whatever, until it isn't using a full charge each pop.
Depending on the nature of what you are shooting, you may find that the 580ex isn't up to it for rapid firing.
While that is a challenge for any speedlight, these Godox (private labeled under many brands-Flashpoint Streaklight is Adorama's version) flashes are much more powerful than any Canon branded flash, and with the Y power cord using both sides of the battery, they recycle almost instantly.
http://www.adorama.com/fplfsl360k1.html
The unit shown in the link is just one of many options depending things such as ETTL needed, or wireless, etc.
AF assist beam I don't use so can't help on that.
Last comment-rapidly firing any flash really runs up the heat on the flash tube. You have to use good judgment, or it will cook itself to death.

Dec 07, 2016 at 10:03 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Basic flash question (580 EXII)

There are multiple custom settings for pre-flash (which I don't use so I don't know if that is even possible) or IR beam focusing with any canon DSLR and the 580ex. It is possible that the camera is set up properly but the flash is not, or vice versa. Double check all your settings on both the flash and the camera. If you get this set up correctly, you can focus in zero light. Remember, not servo-focus though, only one shot.

Paul

Dec 08, 2016 at 12:45 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Basic flash question (580 EXII)

Also add a battery pack to it that would speed the recycling time but be careful not to overheat the speedlight.

Also add a second speedlite set to multi flash operations will alternate between them in burst mode.

Dec 08, 2016 at 06:33 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.