FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              12       13       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

lionsfan54
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

What monopd(s) are you all using? I don't want to keep "guessing" and buying junk.

Jun 01, 2017 at 02:35 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

lionsfan54 wrote:
What monopd(s) are you all using? I don't want to keep "guessing" and buying junk.

I use a Gitzo GM4552L with my 400. No worriers about capacity and the minimum length facilitates shooting lower, which I do quite often.

Jun 01, 2017 at 02:43 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

lionsfan54 wrote:

Induro CLM204L, plenty strong for this lens. I also use it on the 14+ lbs 600mm f/4 AIS

Jun 01, 2017 at 10:21 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

two from Detroit today - both with TC14e II on D500 with the 400/2.8 G VR

ryan hunter spray (the sparks)

a GT3R

White Porsche in the Motor City

Jun 02, 2017 at 11:21 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

So with the D500, this lens is just incredibly fast to focus on a moving subject. Below is full frame, with TC-14e II at something like 840mm equivalent, shot from a low above rather hot concrete pavement position, as the cars come into view at 140+mph... it takes this combo usually at the most one frame to acquire the subject and track it away, then jump to the next one. It's like total cheating. Where with my old manual lens I'd be happy to walk away with one such frame out of 100, I produced about 400 keepers in less than 15 minutes.

f/5.6 1/5000s ISO 200

Graham wins the first of the Duals in Detroit

Jun 03, 2017 at 08:52 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

D500 on the 400mm VR G, shot at f/3.5 - depths of field maybe 2 feet here at 28 meters from my subject

Crispy Simon in fresh colors

Jun 06, 2017 at 08:59 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

more cars...

400mm f/2.8 G with TC-14e II on D500, no crop, some post processing liberties taken

f/5.0 1/1250s ISO 100

Mazda on the Island

Jun 09, 2017 at 12:45 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

keeping the thread going with, you guessed it, more cars...

D810 on the G, no TC this time.

f/5.0 1/2000s ISO 200

Lexus eyes under heavy clouds

Jun 10, 2017 at 09:04 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

Not just for cars - very versatile lens, especially when you have FX and DX bodies along. 400mm is just borderline usable in the paddock and for portraits, or for up close details.

all handheld on D810

f/2.8 1/400s ISO 64, VR on

Barbosa pondering his race chances

f/2.8 1/600s ISO 64

Bomarito after qualifying

f/3.2 1/1000s ISO 64

Simon Pagenaud, the reigning Indycar champion

f/3.5 1/3200s ISO 100

Fueling for the win

Jun 12, 2017 at 08:29 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

gotta love modern lenses. With my old AIS 600mm wide open, I'd be correcting CA for half an hour in this shot and still never get it to look clean. Almost straight into the sun

f/3.5 1/2500s ISO 200 on D810 with the G VR

Will soaks Graham with a classic shoulder reverse shot

Jun 14, 2017 at 08:23 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

I tried to use some VR last time out - this was handheld pans with the D500, so 600mm f/2.8 at relatively long shutter speeds for this focal length.

f/18.0 1/160s ISO 100

Connor on the Strand

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

That's it, gotta loan this baby out from NPS...

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:44 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

OK, won another auction on eBay. I think I got a good deal but lets hope this time it is not fraud and I will actually get the lens (unlike the last time I discussed earlier in this thread):
https://goo.gl/tXM2Um

Keeping fingers crossed

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:29 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

cambyses wrote:
OK, won another auction on eBay. I think I got a good deal but lets hope this time it is not fraud and I will actually get the lens (unlike the last time I discussed earlier in this thread):

It looks pretty good. There's a little wear on the lens mount, which just means they used it. But it doesn't look like it was used by a frequent sports shooter - that's very good.

My copy was in similar condition when I bought it, but I started to have an issue with it. I sent it in to Nikon, and they did a few things to it, and now it's amazing. You may want to send it in for a check up.

Jun 21, 2017 at 02:21 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

la puffin wrote:
It looks pretty good. There's a little wear on the lens mount, which just means they used it. But it doesn't look like it was used by a frequent sports shooter - that's very good.

Yes, Thx. It looks a bit less fraudulent too . The seller sent me a message that he will ship in 3 days. I asked for the Serial Number, and he sent me one. I called Nikon and checked, and they confirmed that it was originally sold by Samy's camera, and does look to be a US version as described. So far so good. But with eBay, I won't believe it until I actually have the lens in my hand!

Jun 21, 2017 at 02:30 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

Well, I guess the 400 is not destined for me Again, the eBay transaction status changed to "Shipped", and a seemingly valid, yet bogus, tracking number was posted which was showing the package as already delivered to my correct zip code but it had shipped even before the auction had ended! The seller contacted me quickly and apologized that he had posted the wrong tracking info, and said he was on a short business trip and would ship the lens next Monday and would send me the correct tracking info.

I cannot think of any good reason how a private seller (i.e., not an eBay store with many transactions) could possibly obtain and somehow mistakenly post a bogus tracking info that happens to show the correct destination zip code! So I asked the seller to either ship the lens on the same day and send me the correct tracking info, or just cancel the transaction, and refund my payment. And so he did the latter and I got my money back.

Perhaps, I overreacted but this bogus tracking info is exactly what had happened last time, and I felt like the seller was just trying to buy time, and no longer felt comfortable with the transaction.

It is a pity that one can no longer buy expensive items on eBay with confidence. Of course, there is the triple buyer protection by eBay, PayPal, and the Credit Card. So I wouldn't worry about my money but it is just unnecessary hassle...

Jun 23, 2017 at 04:12 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

Sounds like you need to try here:

https://www.keh.com/shop/lenses/slr/nikon--400-mm.html

Six month warranty as well.

cambyses wrote:
Well, I guess the 400 is not destined for me Again, the eBay transaction status changed to "Shipped", and a seemingly valid, yet bogus, tracking number was posted which was showing the package as already delivered to my correct zip code but it had shipped even before the auction had ended! The seller contacted me quickly and apologized that he had posted the wrong tracking info, and said he was on a short business trip and would ship the lens next Monday and would send me the correct tracking info.

I cannot think of any good reason how a
...Show more

Jun 23, 2017 at 05:02 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Sounds like you need to try here:

https://www.keh.com/shop/lenses/slr/nikon--400-mm.html

Six month warranty as well.

KEH currently does not have the VR version, and when they do, their regular asking price is typically too high for this lens, not to mention the added sales tax collected on top of that for us in CA.

Jun 23, 2017 at 06:09 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

I bought my 400mm f/2.8 here on FM. Ebay has been a hit and miss with other things I tried to buy (and sell) lately. Sellers disappear or Buyers simply don't pay. I've been there for almost 20 years and have had more issues in the last 2 years than all previous years combined. Without the paypal protection, I'd never buy another thing there.

anyway - fresh from Road America this weekend, D500, 400mm f/2.8 G with TC-14e II shot through a mesh wire fence (painted flat black moments before, but still not perfect because the light was ahead of the fence and there is an angle so you cannot push the lens flush against the fence.

f/6.3 1/1600s ISO 100

Crazy pit lane

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:27 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Nikon 400mm f/2.8 Official Thread

I bought my 400/2.8G on FM too. The gentleman was very patient with me and I learned who he is, so I paid F&F. I wouldn't recommend that to most people!. When I tried to sell a D500 on here, I only received a bunch of lowball offer that felt like Craig's List. I've been on eBay for 18 years, and was burned on a tripod once. Since then, I only buy NWT items under $100, such as skirts I can't find in stores.

I did buy my 200/2 on eBay, but I was able to find out who the seller was through his handle, and with his past sales of expensive Zeiss glass, I felt OK (he's actually a very famous fashion photographer. I felt safe that he wasn't scamming and also that it had to be a decent copy since he had to know. It went better than expected, the lens is amazing and he shipped it in a Pelican type case for free, so I was very fortunate.)

I sent my copy into NPS with a few irks, and it was an old copy judging from the serial number. They sent me a 400E to use and while I loved the weight reduction, I didn't see any glaring IQ over my 400G since I got it back. I'll upgrade soon, but it's not a burning desire.I shot most of a game last night with the TC 1.4x III, and was really happy with the real world test. I switched to Nikon last summer. I was able to try a 1DXII with a 400/2.8L IS II the other night - no thanks.

400/2.8G with a D5
http://shoaps.com/samples/dee.jpg

Jul 10, 2017 at 01:53 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.