New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

shujert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

Since posting my X-Pro2 for sale with an aftermarket grip, I've received several inquiries about it, so I figured I would start a post about it.

The grip is an aftermarket grip from Newmowa that I purchased on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCF3K6M/

It's very inexpensive at less than $40 and I felt worth every penny. The grip base is a dense metal and is quite heavy, but the fitment was fine and the cutout for the battery lined up perfectly. With the grip and camera, the combo weighs 714g; for comparison, a Leica M240 weighs 683g and is considered a brick of a camera. Personally, I really liked the extra weight and it did not bother me in the least.

The handle is a hard plastic and not as nice or grippy as the body of the XP2. Overall not bad, though, and the extra material to hold onto was worth the trade off in tactility.

Here's a picture of the grip on the camera. Unfortunately, it's the only view I have since I sold the camera a few days ago.

Dec 06, 2016 at 02:52 PM
Matt Sweadner

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

Nice looking grip. It's too bad they don't make that with the same nice grippable texture as the camera :-/

Dec 06, 2016 at 04:02 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

I got one too. Works really well and looks better and more integrated with the camera body than other chinese grips (thinking of the generic all-metal ones with a L plate).

Was heavier than I expected though, I wonder if the original Fuji grip is lighter, I have a original one for the X-E2 and the weight is minimal.

There's also a bit of play in the handle that makes the kit feel a bit less solid, but to be fair this also happens with the original Fuji grip of the X-E2. I think it may be more noticable on the X-Pro2 because it's a heavier and larger camera, so maybe the original grip suffers from this too. Still thinking on some way to secure the top of the handle to the amera body to make it more solid feeling. Maybe sugru, but I wonder how reversible/non-destructive this solution would be.

Either way I'm happy with this grip, works well and at has fair price (the original one is very very overpriced).

Dec 07, 2016 at 07:18 AM
darthalal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

Matt Sweadner wrote:
Nice looking grip. It's too bad they don't make that with the same nice grippable texture as the camera :-/

The Fuji version is nice and grippy! Not sure if it is the same material as the rubbery grip texturing on the body itself, though.

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
Was heavier than I expected though, I wonder if the original Fuji grip is lighter, I have a original one for the X-E2 and the weight is minimal.

I have a postal scale, I can weigh mine this evening and post up my findings if you could do the same and wanted to compare? The Fuji felt pretty heavy to me, too, though.

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
There's also a bit of play in the handle that makes the kit feel a bit less solid, but to be fair this also happens with the original Fuji grip of the X-E2.

Unfortunately, this is also true on the Fuji grip..

shujert, thanks for sharing your findings! I gave up waiting for third parties to start making this grip for the X-Pro2 and ended up tracking one down second-hand.. Nice to see some options out there now, though.

Dec 07, 2016 at 07:58 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

That could be useful information. I'll try to wheight it tomorrow.

I have a postal scale, I can weigh mine this evening and post up my findings if you could do the same and wanted to compare? The Fuji felt pretty heavy to me, too, though.

Dec 07, 2016 at 09:31 PM
darthalal
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
That could be useful information. I'll try to wheight it tomorrow.

Just weighed mine; 3.95 oz / 111 g.

Dec 07, 2016 at 10:23 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

Just weighed mine; 3.95 oz / 111 g.

My aftermarket chinese copy weights around the double of that: 225g / 7.9 oz !!!

That's a bit differençe, but is being lighter it something worth the extra money? For me no.
The original Fuji grip should cost 50 eur. max. Heck, for the price of a X-Pro2 and being their premium camera, it should actually be part of the kit.

Dec 08, 2016 at 07:16 AM
Squinty
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

I'd say the best aftermarket grip for an X-Pro was an X-T... only joking.

I've found Sunwayfoto (Chinese, I think... sorry Donald) to be really good for base plates and grips - not sure if they do one for the XPs. RRS and other 'mainstream' manufacturers are silly money.

Dec 08, 2016 at 08:53 AM
furinox

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

The really right stuff grip is my favorite. It follows the lines of the body and doesn't look like an extra piece got glued on.

Dec 09, 2016 at 02:12 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

Squinty - That's an interesting solid-looking grip. Doesn't look fully integrated like the original one or chinese copy, but looks good all the same compred to other all-metal chinese grips. It's also a lot lighter than the one I have, Too bad it seems hard to buy in Europe.

furinox - Yes, but it isn't really a grip for what I've seen on their website, just a base plate. Also a bit pricey.

Dec 09, 2016 at 04:13 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

I'm bringing this conversation back to life to give a mini review of the Sunwayfoto grip suggested by Squinty.

I was using the X-Pro2 without a grip for some time, the chinese one I had was so heavy it became a bit tiresome. But I still wanted a grip since it's so much more confortable to hold the camera. Was considering the original Fuji one, but then I managed to find a Sunwayfoto on ebay Europe and decided to try it.

I have to say it's excellent.

Very well built and fit's perfectly on the camera. It doesn't have any play unlike the other one I had (and the original Fuji grip), feels really solid. It looks good too, much better than the other metal chinese grips on ebay and IMO looks as good and well-integrated as the original (althought it's very different, but you can judge that by yourself with the pics below).

The best part is it only wheights 100gr! Even lighter than the Fuji's grip.

Here are some images:

http://i.imgur.com/MpQulSl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3qmCpCa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z3evjxN.jpg

It looks good to me, the only thing I didn't like was the white engravings on the front of the base plate, but I took care of that with a black acrylic marker (as can be seen in the photos).

It may well be the best grip you can get for the money (cost me £39,99). It also includes a L plate, but I dind't mounted it since I would not use it. Recommended.

Feb 13, 2017 at 03:12 PM
Sorbet
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

I have the Fuji grip. It's really good! Haven't compared to these, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.

Feb 13, 2017 at 06:09 PM
dvd481s

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

Just returned a Newmowa to Amazon. Description says its aluminum, but that thing was way to heavy. I know it's still lighter than a dslr but camera didn't feel well balanced anymore.

Feb 14, 2017 at 06:27 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Aftermarket X-Pro2 grip

dvd481s wrote:
Just returned a Newmowa to Amazon. Description says its aluminum, but that thing was way to heavy. I know it's still lighter than a dslr but camera didn't feel well balanced anymore.

The Newmowa looks like the one I had, the metal on the base is too dense. The metal used on the Sunwayphoto grip is much lighter and the base is made in a "frame style" (with holes instead of the solid metal plate of the Newmowa).

The play in the plastic grip part was a bit annoying too, it was heavy but didn't feel solid. The Sunway is the contrary, light but very solid in the hand, a perfect fit to the X-Pro2 body.

Feb 15, 2017 at 09:31 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.