Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)
  
 
rparchen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


I really considered holding out for this lens when it was announced but I snagged a Loxia 21 and really couldn't be happier with it, no regrets on my end at all. I just don't see how this lens could be better and I would have always second guessed myself unless I got the Loxia. I'd love to see some comparisons though and this is definitely a step in the right direction!


Dec 06, 2016 at 01:16 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


GMPhotography wrote:
I did sell my Loxia and I should be hung for it but I needed a computer now. I have the CV 12 than the 24-70 so I have a gap. Batis 18 fills that gap the best but I do not like focusing Batis lenses on manual. So come later in January I need to get something.


I always read this disdain for fly by wire MF, and I entirely agree. What's the mechanical reason/purpose for not having mechanically coupled MF?



Dec 06, 2016 at 01:25 AM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


nehemiahphoto wrote:
I always read this disdain for fly by wire MF, and I entirely agree. What's the mechanical reason/purpose for not having mechanically coupled MF?


Less weight and bulk.



Dec 06, 2016 at 02:25 AM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


Fred Miranda wrote:
If I don't compare this lens to the Loxia 21/2.8, I'm sure @GMPhotography@ will.


That's just it . . . I can't imagine giving up the Loxia 21 . . .



Dec 06, 2016 at 03:38 AM
goto_dengo
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


I've missed several good shots recently because of the appalling gap in my prime lineup (14mm Rok jumps to 28mm Sony F2.)

I want the Loxia 21mm, but am terrified of getting a bad copy. Has Zeiss been able to fix lenses with focus tilt or decentering?

(Sorry for contributing to the threadjack, but we do seem to be talking Loxia now ;-)



Dec 06, 2016 at 04:20 AM
arduluth
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


Yay! The price isn't as low as I'd hoped, but lower than I feared. I look forward to reviews and used prices. I'm still looking for a 20-21mm, and I don't have Loxia 21mm budget.


Dec 06, 2016 at 04:22 AM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


freaklikeme wrote:
Less weight and bulk.


Actually the main reason is that the AF on mirrorless works best with electromagnetic focus; so there is no gear system to mechanically couple to.



Dec 06, 2016 at 05:45 AM
Phillip Reeve
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


Tokinas bad track record with flare resistance is what could kill this othervise very interesting lens for me. At Photokina I wasn't allowed to put a card into the camera but the corners looked very good at f/2 as far as you can judge that from the live image.


Dec 06, 2016 at 06:14 AM
Vcize
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)




Phillip Reeve wrote:
Tokinas bad track record with flare resistance is what could kill this othervise very interesting lens for me.


Especially given that it's FL counterpart (the loxia) is so outstanding in that category.

But man that extra stop is tempting for astro, as is the extra cash saved.



Dec 06, 2016 at 07:32 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


DavidBM wrote:
Actually the main reason is that the AF on mirrorless works best with electromagnetic focus; so there is no gear system to mechanically couple to.


That is a more direct answer to the question, but when you get down to the reason why electromagnetic focus is the right choice for mirrorless, the answer is less weight and bulk, right?



Dec 06, 2016 at 09:36 PM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


freaklikeme wrote:
That is a more direct answer to the question, but when you get down to the reason why electromagnetic focus is the right choice for mirrorless, the answer is less weight and bulk, right?


Maybe. But I suspect cost and speed are in there.



Dec 06, 2016 at 10:50 PM
bjornthun
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


DavidBM wrote:
Maybe. But I suspect cost and speed are in there.


I think precision is a part of the answer too, but this is just something I think. The reason why, is lensrentals.com musings on the Sony 90/2.8 G FE macro lens and the electromagnetic drive. Another reason is how precisely I can focus with focus by wire, and the very small steps possible, and focus by wire is way more precise than any DSLR USM/AF-S lens with a focus cluch on the focus ring.




Dec 06, 2016 at 11:05 PM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


bjornthun wrote:
I think precision is a part of the answer too, but this is just something I think. The reason why, is lensrentals.com musings on the Sony 90/2.8 G FE macro lens and the electromagnetic drive. Another reason is how precisely I can focus with focus by wire, and the very small steps possible, and focus by wire is way more precise than any DSLR USM/AF-S lens with a focus cluch on the focus ring.



Agreed; and EM focus makes it easier also to have very complicated changes in the arrangements of the elements as you focus, allowing for fancier correction for different focus ranges.



Dec 07, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Jtull01
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


I have a Tokina lens in Canon mount. Superb quality. Look like and interesting lens. I'll have to see how others use it and review it before I would buy it.


Dec 27, 2016 at 02:15 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


bjornthun wrote:
I think precision is a part of the answer too, but this is just something I think. The reason why, is lensrentals.com musings on the Sony 90/2.8 G FE macro lens and the electromagnetic drive. Another reason is how precisely I can focus with focus by wire, and the very small steps possible, and focus by wire is way more precise than any DSLR USM/AF-S lens with a focus cluch on the focus ring.



Hmm, that I have not noticed, but it may be the lenses I've used. I used the FEZA 50 and 35LII in concert when I was determining which to keep, and while Sony did an excellent job with the implementation of FBW in that lens, it was never more or less precise than the 35LII. Even with wide apertures at or near MFD, the response felt identical to me. I took that as a good sign- that FBW had finally caught up with a clutched USM lens. Is it more evident when using a macro lens? I know it's in that use when I really appreciate the fine control of long helicoid or bellows movements over a clutched AF lens.



Dec 27, 2016 at 09:34 PM
bjornthun
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


freaklikeme wrote:
Hmm, that I have not noticed, but it may be the lenses I've used. I used the FEZA 50 and 35LII in concert when I was determining which to keep, and while Sony did an excellent job with the implementation of FBW in that lens, it was never more or less precise than the 35LII. Even with wide apertures at or near MFD, the response felt identical to me. I took that as a good sign- that FBW had finally caught up with a clutched USM lens. Is it more evident when using a macro lens? I know it's in
...Show more

On the Sony FE 90 the fbw gives a much longer focus throw than I've gotten with any focus clutch lens. This is why the precision is so much better. Yes, you can compare it to macro lenses with a really long helicoid, it's something in that category.

Focus by wire is superior to everything else, when it's tuned right. I'm very happy to be rid of clutched AF lenses altogether.



Dec 27, 2016 at 11:40 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


bjornthun wrote:
On the Sony FE 90 the fbw gives a much longer focus throw than I've gotten with any focus clutch lens. This is why the precision is so much better. Yes, you can compare it to macro lenses with a really long helicoid, it's something in that category.

Focus by wire is superior to everything else, when it's tuned right. I'm very happy to be rid of clutched AF lenses altogether.


I don't think I've seen that opinion expressed, but I think I understand. Since there's no 1:1 mechanical correlation between the focus ring and the lens movement, you can get fast AF and program as long a focus throw on the ring as is necessary for the lens and it's typical uses, something that's not possible with clutched AF. It's an excellent point and not something I'd considered before. The only downside I see in FBW (versus clutched) is that if the AF fails, most likely MF will fail as well, where a clutched AF lens might keep you limping along until you could get it repaired.

All things considered, though, I'd rather just have a fully manual lens. I ended up selling both the 50 and 35 in favor of the ZM 35/1.4. If someone would make a fully manual 400 comparable to the 400/5.6L, I too could be free of the clutched AF lenses.



Dec 28, 2016 at 04:26 AM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pre-order: Tokina FiRIN 20mm f/2 FE ($799)


bjornthun wrote:
On the Sony FE 90 the fbw gives a much longer focus throw than I've gotten with any focus clutch lens. This is why the precision is so much better. Yes, you can compare it to macro lenses with a really long helicoid, it's something in that category.

Focus by wire is superior to everything else, when it's tuned right. I'm very happy to be rid of clutched AF lenses altogether.


What I love about the FE 90 is how there are two FBW modes: a non variable mode that allows you to set magnification, which is great in a macro, and a variable which as you say is by far the most accurate way to set focus manually (and haptically I prefer good implementations to clutch, though I prefer a good helicoid - while admitting that's a fairly irrational preference, as it's likely less accurate than the best FBW variable implementations.) Of course for video it's all different, but that doesn't concern me..



Dec 28, 2016 at 04:54 AM
1      
2
       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password