New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bumpy background paper

Entity
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bumpy background paper

Hi folks!

I have a roll system with 4 paper backdrops in my studio and am getting more and more annoyed with bumps and balloons and curves in my paper.. Some say it's due to moisture, I bought a hydrometer and it shows 35-45% humidity which is ok imho (I have it around 40-50% in my flat all the time).
Some say it's due to sagging of the paper rolls, but I used to have an aluminum one and I had the same problems..
Why is this happening? Greys are particularly difficult to fix in post, white and black are simple, but freaking grey.. :/

Any idea why this is happening and how can I fix it??

Here are two pictures of the paper..

TIA,
Mat

Dec 05, 2016 at 01:36 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bumpy background paper

I have this problem from time to time as well, and would be interested in any assistance from someone knowledgeable. One thing I can think of is that the "bumps" are actually shadows caused by the height of the light(s), so lowering them might help. But that shouldn't be "the" fix, as that inhibits your lighting strategies.

Dec 05, 2016 at 07:44 PM
Entity
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bumpy background paper

Yeah, bumps show due to shadows of top light, but that's not the point, bumps shouldn't be there in the first place. They always show up on the picture either on the hanging paper or on the paper on the floor, depending on the position of the lights used.. :/

Dec 06, 2016 at 01:47 AM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bumpy background paper

Same thing with the grey paper at our studio. Oddly enough, yellow, white, green, and red are all fine...but only grey is having that issue. Annoying for sure, as I use grey more than any other color :/

Dec 06, 2016 at 02:08 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bumpy background paper

Are you lighting this background from the top, shooting nearly directly down the face of the paper? Anytime you have the background light at a very acute angle to the paper you risk 'highlighting' the inherently non-flat nature of hanging paper. Aim your BG light more perpendicularly to the paper, and you shouldn't see this effect.

Dec 11, 2016 at 03:43 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.