Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

patashnik
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

I have a Nikon DF that I totally love. I have a scratched and beat up Nikkor 35mm f/2 D more or less permanently attached to it. It may not be the "best" lens in the world, but the autofocus speed more than makes up for it.

I'm in the market for a 50mm, and I went for a Sigma 50mm ART. The optical quality is stellar, but the focus speed is at best so-so. I also tried the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G, but with the same conclusion.

So, this all makes me think about the 50mm f/1.4 D. How is the focusing speed? I'm not looking for the peak of optical design here, my DF is more or less a carry everywhere camera.

Dec 05, 2016 at 11:09 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

The even cheaper 50 f1,8 AF is quicker still with almost identical performance from f1,8 upwards so how bad do you need f1,4?

Dec 05, 2016 at 11:21 AM
nikonos6
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

I do have the non D version but the focusing speed is most probably the same as with the newer 50mm 1.4d.
The focusing speed with my d800 is really fast. I guess it is quite a bit faster than with the more recent versions ( 1.8 and 1.4g ) .
It is funny - I am to get a DF soon myself - that is also why I kept my 50mm 1.4, for all the moments when I don not want to get my 58 1.4g out of the box.
I think it will serve you well, the 50mm 1.4d.

Dec 05, 2016 at 11:59 AM
patashnik
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

the solitaire wrote:
The even cheaper 50 f1,8 AF is quicker still with almost identical performance from f1,8 upwards so how bad do you need f1,4?

Thanks, are you talking about the 1,8 G or D?

Dec 05, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Berschwinger
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

I have both the 1.4D and the sigma 50mm 1.4 non-art. Both are quick autofocus. The sigma has smoother bokeh, but I prefer the character of the 1.4D. Had the 1.8D in the past and also prefer the 1.4D.

Dec 05, 2016 at 12:44 PM
mp0363
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

First, the 35/2D is the best lens in the world I think I had 4 or 5 lenses already before acquiring it and it's made me so happy.

Second, I find the 50mm discussion to just be a pond of molasses. Every time it comes up I read it through and end up with zero motivation to change. I currently have the 50/1.4G and it is OK. Some say that edge to edge sharpness is better than the D, which I would not want to sacrifice, and it's quick enough to keep up with a toddler so I've kept it. Image quality is not in the same neighborhood as my 35D but it's alright.

But the D-series lens uses the camera’s motor to focus .1 seconds faster than the G-series lens (that utilize a built-in Silent Wave Motor), and I guess that is something? 7 elements instead of 8, hmmm, maybe it's image quality is closer to my beloved 35D? Oh, I'm tempted but...

I've seen them listed used in the low $200s and have come close to buying but just can not make it out of the molasses pond. Am I really going to get my money's worth? I do love fast (like I said, I have a toddler) but more than anything, at the end of the day it's the image quality and my gut says it's probably there like the other D series lenses that I own. If you do make the purchase, please do some side by side comparisons. I need some incentive to finally capitulate.

Edited on Dec 09, 2016 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2016 at 12:57 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

Just stay away from the 1.8D is you can. I have one. It is sharp, but it is not very well corrected. CA everywhere, sucks the contrast out of everything, sharpness at the edges goes downhill. The images that come out of it are dull and flat.

That said, I have still gotten some very nice images out of it. It's stupid cheap and performs decently at f2.8. It might just need a bit more correcting in LR/PS/Pickyourpoison than a different lens would.

The AF is fast. ZIP! and it's totally locked on.

Dec 05, 2016 at 01:13 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

patashnik wrote:
Thanks, are you talking about the 1,8 G or D?

The D version. My girlfriend has the G version which isn't fast focusing.

From the comments below, something can be said for the f1,4 AF-D as well

Dec 05, 2016 at 01:31 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

50mm f/1.4d focuses reasonably quick, probably on par with the 35 f/2, but in my experience, accuracy and IQ is far below the 35 f/2. I bought the 50mm f/1.4d with the hopes of it being similar to my 35 f/2 and 85 f/1.4d...but it certainly is not.

I haven't liked any of the Nikon 50mm AF lenses so far, but I do like the 60 f/2.8d. YMMV.

Dec 05, 2016 at 02:38 PM
patashnik
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

Thank you all for your opinions. I found a used one nearby, and for the price I guess it's worth trying.

Dec 05, 2016 at 03:52 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

patashnik wrote:
Thank you all for your opinions. I found a used one nearby, and for the price I guess it's worth trying.

Definitely worth trying out. I recommend the HS-9 hood if it doesn't have one included. Flare and CA prone lighting is probably the biggest weakness and a hood helps a bit.

Dec 05, 2016 at 04:30 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

I remember going from the 50mm 1.8D to the 1.4D (af was slower, and image was less sharp, but it just had this "something" about it that I liked more, especially the oof areas) and then ~3 months later I saved up for the 1.4G as I thought the AF would be better. IQ seemed much better, but AF even slower still. Kinda wish I had kept that original 50mm 1.8D (have since sold the 1.4G, and tried 2 more copies of the 1.8D but neither were as good as my original and I sold those as well).

Of all the lenses in the 50mm range I'd personally just go 1.4D if I had to do it all over again.

ETA: I would do 1.4D instead of 1.8D even though that was my favorite just because it seems you can have just as bad a copy as a good one (2 bad 1.8Ds vs 1 stellar, whereas the one 1.4D I had was good enough for what it was.

Dec 05, 2016 at 05:09 PM
RatX

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

I have the AF D and if focused just fine on my D700 and D750. Light lens, too. Should be fine on a Df.
Had the G and was underwhelmed.

I understand your like of the 35 D. Plan to repurchase the 35 2.0 in the next couple of week - I gave mine to a friend because I had the older 24-70 at the time. I prefer the 35 D.

Dec 06, 2016 at 07:07 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

I have both the DF and 1.4/50mm AF-D

AF speed of the 1.4/50mm is fine on the DF but don't expect miracles

Obviously a screwdrive normally is slower then one with a built in motor (although the 50mm AF-S reportedly is disappointing in that respect) but under normal shooting conditions (unless you change from macro close up to infinity with each consecutive shot) it should be fine.

On a body with a faster/stronger AF motor (e.g. D3, D2X, D800) AF speed is faster then on the DF, but then again (IMO) the DF wasn't intended for fast action photography anyway, although if pushed to the limit it can.

First thing I did when I got mine was shoot a catwalk show with it, using a 4.5-5.6/70-300mm VR.
Venue was a shopping mall, lighting obviously quite horrible, just available light and spill light from the shop windows, making an extra on camera flash/SB910 mandatory.
Pictures came out fine, despite the fast moving models under bad lighting.

On a side note, unless you plan the more limited DoF when using the 1.4/wide open (for e.g. artistic reasons), or really push things when shooting under bad lighting conditions, considering the excellent high ISO capacities of the DF the 2/3 stop gain vs the 1.8 is a bit of a waste.

I have the 1.4/50mm because I use also use it as a short telelens on my D7100, which does not have a similar high ISO performance (for me ISO 3200 is the limit) as the DF (which I use up to ISO 12800 without a second thought) so in certain situations the little extra can make a difference

my 2 cents

Dec 06, 2016 at 08:10 AM
vitalishe
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D - good choice for focus speed and decent quality?

I have tried three out of four Nikon AF 50mm lenses (1.8G, 1.4D, and 1.4G in that order).
I started with 50 1.8G and used it as a portrait lens on my DX sensors. But did not use it that much on FX up until I got the 1.4D version. This is when I really stated enjoying shooting with this lens. I tried 1.4G version thinking there could be some improvement over 1.4D, but sold it after realizing there were not many.

I now have Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art for good light situations that I use on D800e and Nikon 1.4D which I use on D3s for low light. The small size and wide aperture of that lens is what makes it special for me.

Dec 09, 2016 at 11:49 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.