Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Timelapse lens for my 70D?

MGH-PA
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Timelapse lens for my 70D?

I've gotten some really good advice from people here in the past few years, and I'm hoping I can pick everyone's brain once more.

I had the opportunity to pick my Christmas present from my wife and it came down to two choices... a 6D (or a possible 5dmkIII used to stay in budget), or a Rhino Motion rig. With the black friday 20% sale from Rhino, I jumped, and bought the 24" Carbon EVO with motion, and will be following that up with another promotion of theirs where I can trade in any other slider (I currently own a Konova K2) for $500 credit which I will use to buy the ARC to go along with it.

I really want to shoot more timelapse and figured this was a great time to jump in.

I currently have the following:

Canon 70D
Canon EF 35mm/f2 IS
Canon 50mm/f1.8 (Non STM)
Canon 70-200mm/F4
Sigma 17-50mm/f2.8
Canon 10-18mm/f4.5-5.6 STM
Canon 18-55mm/f3.5-f5.6 STM
Canon 55-250mm/f4-5.6 STM

I tried my hand at a few Milky-way timelapses (stationary) this summer in Ontario with the Sigma, and they were pretty decent, but nothing to write home about, but then again, I learned much more about achieving proper focus for these shots afterwards.

I'm on a budget, so I'm looking at the Rokinon 14mm/2.8. I know about the decentering issues, but I figure if I buy reputable and test it, I should be good to go.

My question is should I be looking elsewhere? Just continue with what I have?

I'm a little concerned about my inability to shoot with what I have since the Sigma and the 35mm are really my only two "fast" pieces of glass, and seeing how I can't really push my ISO very hard with my 70D, I'm thinking an even fast piece of glass would be best.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 05, 2016 at 08:50 AM
MGH-PA
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Timelapse lens for my 70D?

I will add that I'm looking primarily for a night/dusk/dawn lens. The other lenses I have will suffice for daytime timelapse, and video slides.

Dec 05, 2016 at 09:02 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Timelapse lens for my 70D?

Take a look at this comprehensive write up for full fram and aps-c bodies.

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/lonely-specks-ultimate-list-of-best-astrophotography-lenses/

The Rokinon 14mm is a great lens. Just be sure to test for decentering before the return date ends. Not a bit hassle given the cost savings. YMMV
I'm a fan of the Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 on full frame.

David

Dec 05, 2016 at 12:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.