Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

I won't use Adobe's subscription plan. I have CS6 and LR 5.7. I've kept both their Camera Raw versions updated as much as was possible. I've just found that CS6's Camera Raw version is 9.1.1; when I click on "Updates...", I get a window that wants me to sign in to Creative Cloud, so obviously they aren't going to provide me any newer version of Camera Raw. LR's Camera Raw is version 8.7; when I click "Check for Updates..." it tells me my software is up to date - no updates available. I question why LR's version of Camera Raw is not the same as CS6's.

I've just encountered this issue because I just got a Canon 80D, and CS6's version of Camera Raw (9.1.1) can't read the CR2s from the 80D. For a time after they introduced Creative Cloud, they continued to provide updates of Camera Raw for both LR and CS6; so that's over?

Dec 04, 2016 at 09:01 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

so that's over?
Yes.

Dec 04, 2016 at 09:54 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

Well, at least you have options. You can use Canon's own free DPP software, getting exactly what you pay for. You can use third party apps like Iridient, On One, CaptureOne, etc. and pay a healthy price for those or you can pay the ten bucks a month and be up to date and never have to complain.

Dec 04, 2016 at 11:16 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

you can also download the latest DNG converter and create DNG file for you CR2 files and convert those to RGB image using CS6 ACR 9.1.1. CS6 ACR version has the newer ACR features crippled CS6 ACR only received new Camera RAW files support now that is over.

The 9.7 DNG Converter can be downloaded from https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Mac

Dec 04, 2016 at 11:29 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

Ernie , I get that you don't want to join the CC plan (personally I think it's good value) but you do have other options .
As mentioned above there is the dng converter , but remember you can also purchase LR6 as a standalone application .
LR6 will continue to get RAW updates (and I think lens / camera profiles) but will not get any new FEATURE updates .

I know it's hard to find as adobe do bury it and try their hardest to push you to CC but it can be done .
You can still use the 'edit in' function to send an image over to older versions of PS

Dec 05, 2016 at 02:15 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

Yes, you can use the dng converter, but you also lose all the normally associated properties that the converter developers have often worked very hard on to optimize their conversions for that particular camera. And if you're using an older version of Lr or whatever to convert, you may be losing out on newer better conversions of more recent software versions. It's also another step to have to slog through, which for a few files isn't a huge deal but a much bigger one with hundreds or thousands of files. As far as buying the license for a standalone version of Lr, I'm not sure I'd put much faith in Adobe to actually keep that going, and any major feature update, according to Adobe's reading of Sorbanes Oxley, has to wait until a full version upgrade. Good luck on that.

Dec 05, 2016 at 02:40 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

Uncertain how valid the logic is, but from my perspective I bought the standalone ver 6 as an upgrade which cost about the same as a year's worth of CC. So far I haven't seen any need for the compelling 'new features' but have benefited from the updates in raw and camera support. At this point I'm even dollar wise (ignoring the 'new') and if its a number of months before version 7 (at 6.7 so far) I'll actually be ahead of the game in cash outlay. If version 7 becomes available as a stand alone I might consider doing it again. If not, then it will be time to make a decision.

Dec 05, 2016 at 08:36 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

schlotz wrote:
Uncertain how valid the logic is, but from my perspective I bought the standalone ver 6 as an upgrade which cost about the same as a year's worth of CC. So far I haven't seen any need for the compelling 'new features' but have benefited from the updates in raw and camera support. At this point I'm even dollar wise (ignoring the 'new') and if its a number of months before version 7 (at 6.7 so far) I'll actually be ahead of the game in cash outlay. If version 7 becomes available as a stand alone I might consider doing
...Show more

Sure...but don't forget you also get PS with your CC subscription, which I use maybe on 30% of my photos.

Dec 05, 2016 at 09:33 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

schlotz wrote:
Uncertain how valid the logic is, but from my perspective I bought the standalone ver 6 as an upgrade which cost about the same as a year's worth of CC. So far I haven't seen any need for the compelling 'new features' but have benefited from the updates in raw and camera support. At this point I'm even dollar wise (ignoring the 'new') and if its a number of months before version 7 (at 6.7 so far) I'll actually be ahead of the game in cash outlay. If version 7 becomes available as a stand alone I might consider doing
...Show more

Im a CC sub , but if vanilla 6 does what you want then alls good . as Chez says CC is LR AND PHOTOSHOP . in fact to start with LR was seen as a freebie in the bundle
+ also you get access to LR mobile on your phone / tablet , which while not full LR is pretty handy and has grown from being a pretty crappy basic app into quite a powerful tool .

as for compelling differences between LR6 and the CC I would say for me the Dehaze slider is almost worth it on its own (and yes I know there are workarounds for vanilla 6 and LR5 users )

Dec 05, 2016 at 09:52 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

Yup, knew that... if at some point a CC-sub becomes necessary, my reasoning will be the other way around in that I would consider PS more of a freebie (I'm rarely in PS anymore). Agree the Dehaze slider is quite useful, I have the workaround plug-in installed

Dec 05, 2016 at 03:03 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

I go to PS for about 1% so PS is my freebie with my CC LR sub

Also there are always discounts on CC....so you should never pay the full $10/month....lots of places out there to get 20% off each year.

Dec 07, 2016 at 10:03 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

A software company can't be expected to pay engineers to keep their heads in a defunct products forever.

Dec 07, 2016 at 06:47 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

I'm very surprised at the strong support for CC shown here. It's an overly expensive option, and when you stop paying, you stop getting use of the product. The additional features offered by CC are completely useless to me.

I'll move to a competing product, if/when I can no longer use LR6 stand-alone.

Dec 08, 2016 at 08:46 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

Ernie Aubert wrote:
I won't use Adobe's subscription plan. I have CS6 and LR 5.7. I've kept both their Camera Raw versions updated as much as was possible.

+1. I do the same and so far refuse to go with the CC stuff and monthly subscription fee.

I've just found that CS6's Camera Raw version is 9.1.1; when I click on "Updates...", I get a window that wants me to sign in to Creative Cloud, so obviously they aren't going to provide me any newer version of Camera Raw. LR's Camera Raw is version 8.7; when I click "Check for Updates..." it tells me my software is up to date - no updates available. I question why LR's version of Camera Raw is not the same as CS6's.

I've just encountered this issue because I just got a Canon 80D, and CS6's version of Camera Raw (9.1.1) can't read
...Show more

Good to know - I didn't try to update my Adobe Camera Raw for a while.

Dec 08, 2016 at 10:01 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

skid00skid00 wrote:
I'm very surprised at the strong support for CC shown here. It's an overly expensive option, and when you stop paying, you stop getting use of the product. The additional features offered by CC are completely useless to me.

I'll move to a competing product, if/when I can no longer use LR6 stand-alone.

Why would it be "surprising?"

The Adobe products are good products, the best in many areas.

For persons who need (or desire) to keep up with the latest advances that either save valuable time or provide new capabilities--both of which mean money for professionals--the subscription cost is less than upgrading.

For someone who may need a particular application only a short time, it's significantly cheaper. I can add and remove applications like Audition and Speedgrade from month to month as necessary for my infrequent major video projects, but keep Premier Pro for my more common routine stuff and Photoshop for my still work--much cheaper than buying those packages.

Maintaining the software on multiple devices is 'way easier. I've had the unpleasant experience of having a computer crash on me (obviously not giving me a chance to "deactivate" the applications first). With a subscription, I merely have to log on with the new computer and let it know "I'm using this one now." Done. I can even switch my two permitted activations between a host of computers nearly on the fly--no problem as long as only two are registered at any one time. I can even borrow a computer, download the application, download all my usual settings and actions into it, activate it, and then remove everything when I finish.

That kind of capability pays for the whole shebang the first time you need to use it.

Dec 08, 2016 at 09:16 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · No more standalone Camera Raw updates?

Interesting points from the pro side of the fence.

...I live on the bad side of the fence...

Dec 08, 2016 at 10:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.