New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Networking across house

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Networking across house

Whilst I'm shooting in my studio it would be great to make backups to the hard drive in my edit suite across the house. (Instead of an extra drive in the studio).

Currently, I shoot tethered with Capture One and use Goodsync to automatically copy any new files to a little USB3 stick in the laptop. The intention is to send this feed to the main drive in my edit suit to save transfers later.

It's too far to run a cable and there are 2 brick walls and 40-50 ft of straight line distance between source and destination.

I use an ethernet / mains powerline system for my internet connection rather than wi-fi so I'm wondering if there is something similar that would work with USB.

Of course I'd need something speedy to keep up with rapid (ish) shooting. My USB3 stick keeps up with ease. And it would need to be reliable because I'd be trusting it was all working without any frequent monitoring.

Shooting 5D3 in RAW as an indication of data transfer.

Any thoughts - wired / unwired solutions welcomed.

Dec 04, 2016 at 11:39 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Networking across house

Wouldn't a NAS solve this problem? Something by QNAP or Synology? If, as you say, you have ethernet running into the house - long USB cable runs being unfeasible - then I am guessing a proprietary (not going to recommend a DIY server) NAS might be the best solution - not the fastest, but reliable.

Now, data transfer rates should be more than sufficient for most studio work.

Dec 09, 2016 at 11:55 AM
davekone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Networking across house

Run an Ethernet wire, it will be reliable and the correct way to do this. Run two wires BTW, the labor is the hard part so have another line for backup, The cool thing is you can put a small hub/switch in your studio to hook up a couple of devices if needed without killing the speed too much. Gig Ethernet is good for 328 feet so you are good there!

Can you run the wire under the house through the basement? There is where most of my wire is run.

Jan 09, 2017 at 11:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Networking across house

I just did the install where you plug into a electrical socket...and now your house wiring becomes your network....works better than wifi!!! very satisfied with it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017X8BK5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 26, 2017 at 03:37 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Networking across house

davekone wrote:
Run an Ethernet wire, it will be reliable and the correct way to do this.

I agree. Nothing is faster than wire nor more reliable, easier to hook into and problem free.
I did my whole house Years ago. Bought a roll of wire and a Crimping machine and ran everything back to a used 48 Port Multi gigabit port hub I bought off flea bay for 12 bucks.
As I was coming down in the lift from the office where I picked it up, a guy in the lift asked if I just bought it through ebay. He said he remembered buying the thing 4 years ago for a particular application. He said they used it about 4 months then shelved it. He asked how much I paid and laughed when I told him. He said he bought it for the company for over $1300. Still going strong although the fans were a bit noisy so I disconnected them and it's never been a problem for the minimal load it gets.

Some wire for the hookup went under the house but the addition at the back is on a concrete slab so I went through the ceiling and down through the walls. You can get 5Ft multisection drill bits for doing this which I already had from putting in extra power points and switches to control outlets for lights from the one position just before I ran the ethernet. The extended bits aren't expensive and you could probably hire them as well.

There is an Ethernet connection in every room now, a couple in the lounge room and several in the studio/ office and never regretted putting them in.

As far as range goes, I and others I know have run full rolls of cable out doing onsite jobs and never had a problem. I don't know how they rate the distance thing but it seems to be very conservative. If you put a switch in the middle of a super long run it would probably boost the signal up again and you'd be right for a mile of cable run if you added them to join every roll.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:05 AM
davekone
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Networking across house

300 feet between devices is a good reliable number to use for copper cable.

So switch to switch to computer 600 feet

Jan 26, 2017 at 02:33 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password