FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Magic background

pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Magic background

It seems to be a favorite of the Russian school of portraiture, like this one:

or this:

both by Sergey Piltnik. There are many more like these on 500px. I think it's the golden hour sunshine that illuminates the background, followed by artificial light o the model's face. But there is a magic to these pics. I personally can't produce anything close to these.

Dec 03, 2016 at 01:54 PM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Magic background

You mean that look of the glitter in the background (right hand side on first photo, left hand on the bottom)? Can't remember his name now, but there was a popular fashion guy a couple years ago that used to do that a lot too; he would have an assistant toss some sort of reflective flakey material (think big chunks of glitter ~1") that would catch the light in the background. I guess technically it could be dust of some sort from the location and it could be a windy day stirring it up into the air, but I'd wager on someone tossed something behind her for that.

I think you're right about golden hour, and right placement with respect to the background and lighting, and the artificial lighting could also be a gold collapsible reflector. That being said, I see A TON of post work as well. That's probably just as if not more important than anything other than the right quality of lighting (ie. that golden hour).

Dec 04, 2016 at 01:56 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Magic background

I'm an easy sell for these results, but be aware that they are largely a construct. By that, I mean the "golden hour" and flaring is all post, as is the gold dust. Even the catchlights in #1 are added in post. The real magic is finding a child model that can stay on mission, and that nice location.

Dec 05, 2016 at 11:39 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password