Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Are non-Canon LP-E4N barrteries any good?

marsh9077

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are non-Canon LP-E4N barrteries any good?

I was looking at getting a 3rd and 4th battery for my 1dx's I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with aftermarket batteries.

I came across these on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Powerextra-Replacement-Battery-EOS-1Ds-Digital/dp/B01KZHNX0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480772566&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=canon+lp-e4n&psc=1 I have well over a dozen "Powerextra" brand batteries for the 5d and 7d and love them! I actually found they last longer than the Canon brand ones and the price is amazing plus they charge on Canon chargers and the camera recognizes them. I was wondering if this was the case with the 1dx?

Dec 03, 2016 at 08:50 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are non-Canon LP-E4N barrteries any good?

probably depends on the camera and battery brand, but i have a Calumet brand that i've used for about 4+ years for my 1d3 and it's been great. It communicates with the camera and lasts just as long as the Canon one.

Dec 03, 2016 at 09:29 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are non-Canon LP-E4N barrteries any good?

I didn't have any luck with the one I ordered (not the brand you are looking at). I've had great luck with LP-E6 and Fuji non-OEMs but the LP-E4 didn't slide in the camera smoothly and the charger it came with was sketchy. I haven't used it since. That said, I'm in Canada and we have more limited options as Amazon.com won't ship batteries to us so have to use Amazon.ca for that kind of stuff and the selection is limited. I bet there are better one avaialable in the US. My Wasabi ones for the other cameras have been good. I see they have an LP-E4 one http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-EOS-1D-EOS-1Ds/dp/B001K26D8K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1480776854&sr=8-6&keywords=lp-e4

Dec 03, 2016 at 09:55 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are non-Canon LP-E4N barrteries any good?

Ask yourself:

1. Who is the actual manufacturer and where are they? (China)
2. Who is the seller, where is their warehouse? (China)
3. If the battery destroys your camera, or car or house, or downs a airplane, is there a solid business to sue? (Ha Ha)
4. If the battery fails, who is there to replace it? (Return it to China, but shipping costs more than the battery)
5. Do you really want a battery shipped from China?

Dec 03, 2016 at 04:43 PM
marsh9077

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are non-Canon LP-E4N barrteries any good?

scalesusa wrote:
Ask yourself:

1. Who is the actual manufacturer and where are they? (China)
2. Who is the seller, where is their warehouse? (China)
3. If the battery destroys your camera, or car or house, or downs a airplane, is there a solid business to sue? (Ha Ha)
4. If the battery fails, who is there to replace it? (Return it to China, but shipping costs more than the battery)
5. Do you really want a battery shipped from China?

I totally agree but I was it seems like everything these days comes from China.

I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone had any experience with them in the 1dx/1dxii I know with my experience with that brand in the LP-E6 for the 7d, 5d, etc I would not hesitate to use those over the factory Canon ones (actually that is all I use), I have been using them a lot for a solid year now and never had a problem and they last a lot longer than the Canon ones. I mean lets face it, a Li-Ion battery is a pretty basic thing to copy its pretty hard to screw up.

Obviously I would just rather spend $44 for 2 batteries over $340 but I have not problem spending $340 if they $44 ones are crap however if the $44 ones work just as good if not better then I pick that route.

Dec 03, 2016 at 09:38 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are non-Canon LP-E4N barrteries any good?

After what I have spent on DSLRs the risk by saving $30. on a battery is not worth it to me.

I know that there are some good ones out there, but Canon seems to done their best to make some of them not perform well in some of their newer bodies.

Dec 03, 2016 at 10:46 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are non-Canon LP-E4N barrteries any good?

marsh9077 wrote:
I mean lets face it, a Li-Ion battery is a pretty basic thing to copy its pretty hard to screw up..

Actually, no, it's remarkably complex and easy to screw up. You might have heard of the Samsung Note 7 problem. Before that Sony made some fauity ones that also were used in HP laptops, with millions recalled.

Here's a video of one being taken apart:

If the third party battery requires its own charger I'd steer well clear. The same channel has a lot of entertaining videos taking apart deathtrap mains->low voltage power supplies/gadgets, and Li-ion chargers have to have additional circuitry to protect the battery.

Note that I'm not saying all or any particular third-party LP-E4(N)s are substandard or unsafe. I simply don't know. The one failure I have had was with a genuine Canon one, which failed after about a year, so I have an open mind. It may simply have been knocked in shipping, since it was bought from another continent back when that was still possible.

Dec 03, 2016 at 11:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are non-Canon LP-E4N barrteries any good?

marsh9077 wrote:
I mean lets face it, a Li-Ion battery is a pretty basic thing to copy its pretty hard to screw up.

That's not really true. There are several different battery chemistries. One could also go on at length about the various layers of protections (or lack thereof) both within the cell and externally.

Spontaneous disassembly is really not a good thing for any type of lithium battery.

Does the generic manufacturer have testing performed to meet UN § 38.3 and other requirements? Unfortunately CE mark, UL, CSA, etc. labels are often fraudulent. Even if labeling is initially legitimate it may be worthless if an unethical or clueless manufacturer changes the product without recertification. It's Nikon's responsibility to qualify their suppliers, and obviously settle any claims as mentioned above.

EBH

Dec 04, 2016 at 12:17 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.