FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2016 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

Sjjindra
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

With the approval of my new bride of 1 year, I ordered my M5 from Adorama today.

The biggest draws for me are very close to those listed by Arbitrage:
- DPAF
- Onscreen selection of AF, especially while looking through the viewfinder
- Additional video image stabilization

Other welcome features are:
- Canon menus
- C1/C2
- Ability to customize the buttons

Wish it had 4K video, but that's the breaks.

I expect to have this with with me regularly when a guest at events and weddings, traveling, catching grandkids in action, etc. I have enjoyed the original M, but look forward to the significantly increased capabilities, especially quicker focusing, of the M5.

Also interested in how well the focusing will work for photos and particularly video for flittering birds through either the 100-400 II or the 500 f4 II lenses.

Looking forward with excitement to getting my new M5 in hand soon.

Dec 22, 2016 at 06:22 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

I've been playing with an Oly M1ii and a Sony a99ii but yesterday I went into the blind with the little beastie + 400/5.6-the lens I bought just for this body. Wieldability is tops for this rig. I think the IQ is fantastic (when this old man can actually get the little green square on the eye, which honestly is rare).
Playback/gimping time sucks, just get over that.
So mentally I'm comparing this to the Olympus I shot with daily last week with the PL 100-400. The two are so different it's a waste for me to compare other than size weight where they are similar.
Something weird noticed, on the grip where your fingers wrap around there is a clicking feeling when you squeeze the grip--almost like there is a hidden button in there?

Well the M5 is still a no-brainer if you are into Canon and want to enjoy your EF or EF-S lenses with nice AF, makes me wonder why I ever tried with the EF lenses/Metabones and my A7Rii. Anyway a shot from the blind.

Oops forgot the EXIF for those of you who don't like to click over to Flickr:
Canon EOS M5
EF400mm f/5.6L USM
ƒ/5.6 400.0 mm 1/1000 800 Flash (off, did not fire)

Downy on birch by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Jan 02, 2017 at 01:02 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

Here are a few...the rest of my shooting so far is of family so I won't post those ones. Great little camera...the touch focus and DPAF is just superb. Sometimes I find myself just sticking it in A+ mode and letting it do its thing and it works great as a P&S with great subject and face tracking from the DPAF.

Jan 02, 2017 at 08:26 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

Nice shots. Is it my imagination or are the corners really going on some of those?

Jan 02, 2017 at 08:36 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

They look focused a bit too far into the composition, throwing the near corners out of focus. This is one problem with the EOS-M system set up for more casual use and with all focus-by-wire STM lenses and something I've run into on my M1. Being difficult to set up a form of back-button focus doesn't help either.

(From PZ's testing, the 15-45 looks to be a pretty decent performer outside of the strong vignetting at the wide end, so I don't think it's the lens.)

Jan 02, 2017 at 08:42 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

Well you can set up BBF suck for me is sucks, just isn't comfortable---I attribute this lack of a proper button to the football/soccer ball field sized LCD which is s plus if you are touch focusing, nose focusing, or dragging. A priority decision by Canon and I can see the marketing allure. I'm good with it regardless 'cause no photon catcher is perfect eh? and the little beastie is just fun fun fun to shoot with.
We added several M lenses to the ones already lying around for Poof's M3, I've yet to employ one but I'll get to that. It's just that my mind had it that the 400/5.6 would be the lens for the M5 and so it is.

Jan 02, 2017 at 08:51 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

Yes, the corners are crap, the lens is the cheapest you can buy. It was probably the focus position even though these were in M mode as evidenced by 0EV in the EXIF so I did focus where I wanted to and didn't let auto mode take control. But I don't usually shoot scenics so I'm lazy with focus position. Should have just used my iPhone in reality as that is all I really need for these type of snaps. I could have stopped down more I guess but whatever, I'm not using these for anything other than trying out the camera and as we can see here the corners of this lens even at f/8 aren't anything to write home about. Casual snaps while walking 4 kids under 6.

Jan 02, 2017 at 08:55 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

Nothing wrong with casual snaps!

I was mostly just pointing out that the corners were probably more a result of 'casual' technique rather than some defect of the hardware .

(I'm looking closely at that 15-45; I do like my 18-55, but the smaller size alongside that 15mm wide-end is tempting, at least until Canon backs down on the price of their 18-150)

Jan 02, 2017 at 09:15 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

johnctharp wrote:
Nothing wrong with casual snaps!

Nothing at all and I was not being accusatory if it appeared that way.

I have been considering the M5 15-45 combo and the corners look soft is all.

Jan 02, 2017 at 09:37 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

dhphoto wrote:
Nothing at all and I was not being accusatory if it appeared that way.

I almost typed the exact same thing- hard to convey this in forums!

dhphoto wrote:
I have been considering the M5 15-45 combo and the corners look soft is all.

If that's the case then I may skip it and just keep the 18-55 .

Jan 02, 2017 at 07:19 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

maybe (eventually) we'll see some sports / action pics with the M5

Jan 11, 2017 at 09:43 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

arbitrage wrote:
The M5 doing what it wasn't really made for....this combo had a hard time to focus unless I prefocused close...then it worked....but f/11

That is one crazy setup I have ever seen, Geoff. I am looking to switch from Fuji X-10 to Canon M5 too.

-Tam

Jan 11, 2017 at 09:34 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

canon.eos30d wrote:
That is one crazy setup I have ever seen, Geoff. I am looking to switch from Fuji X-10 to Canon M5 too.

-Tam

That was the first and last time I'll ever have that set up Well maybe I'll try it once on a tripod at the eagle nest during the first week of hatching!!

Here are two vastly different landscapes shot within a week of each other....first Duke Point, Nanaimo BC....second Yukon River/Whitehorse just today.....brrrrr.....

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

That first one isn't bad at all for the long-end of that collapsing zoom- though I've just looked over DPReview's shots with their 18-150 and run a few through DPP DLO, and come off pretty impressed- they look better than my 18-55 shots, run similarly through DPP DLO.

Also nice to see the 16-35/4L resolving nicely!

Jan 12, 2017 at 01:08 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

johnctharp wrote:
That first one isn't bad at all for the long-end of that collapsing zoom- though I've just looked over DPReview's shots with their 18-150 and run a few through DPP DLO, and come off pretty impressed- they look better than my 18-55 shots, run similarly through DPP DLO.

Also nice to see the 16-35/4L resolving nicely!

The 16-35 resolves amazing on this cropped sensor as it eliminates its edges and corners. I shot the same shots with the 5D4 at the same time. Sure the 5D4 sensor is better but it also brings in some softer left edges at 16 and 35 (24 was perfect).

I had dropped my 16-35 back in Sept and the right side went extremely soft. Canon CPS had it and fixed it but after that the left side had some softness....although nowhere near what the right side was like after the drop.
Before the drop, the lens had been tack right to left so I'm still a little disappointed but don't think it will be worth it to send it across the country to CPS again.... The M5 hides all of these issues that show up on the FF cameras.

Jan 12, 2017 at 09:06 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

Canon EOS M5
EF400mm f/5.6L USM
ƒ/7.1 400.0 mm 1/1600 640 Flash (off, did not fire)

Finch via M5 + 400mm 5.6 by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Jan 14, 2017 at 07:03 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

Canon EOS M5
EF400mm f/5.6L USM
ƒ/7.1 400.0 mm 1/1600 400 Flash (off, did not fire)

Red-bellied M5 + 400mm 5.6 by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Jan 17, 2017 at 03:12 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

I've recently discovered a Kenko 2.0 TC on the shelf, long forgotten. Someone at DPreview mentioned the Kenko 1.4TC focuses well with the 70-300L and the M5. So I tried it, and in crap inside light the 2.0 Kenko TC will AF with the M5. Today I went outside and found that the combo does well (YMMV of course).....then I thought why not try with the lens I intended for the M5, the 400/5.6. So from approx 30 feet, using the M5 + EF-M adapter +Kenko 2.0 TC + EOS 400mm/5.6 handheld and with AF ----in really poor light--- the dove took up 50% of the frame in the oridinal, cropped to suit, background layer denoised via Topaz. Bottom line (and I know unless we're using our 1DXii's and 400DOii/500ISii,etc that we want to avoid 2.0 TCs)

EOS M5 + Kenko 2.0TC + EOS 400/5.6 by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Jan 21, 2017 at 02:56 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

trying out the M5
if it ever stops raining maybe I can get some action shots

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/518/32408161926_e2bbc2e08f_b.jpg

Jan 22, 2017 at 03:36 PM
Ulan
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Canon EOS M5 Image Thread

OK, I'm contributing to this interesting thread, so I'm posting another photo taken yesterday with my M5 and EF-M 22 mm f2. Thanks for your comments.

Pont de Laeken, Bruxelles by Inti Runa, sur Flickr

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:06 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.