New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Softlighter II vs profoto umbrella vs elinchrom octa

Gab01992
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Softlighter II vs profoto umbrella vs elinchrom octa

Hi guys. I'm wonder if anyone can tell me which umbrella soften the light better. The photek Softlighter II or a profoto white umbrella with the diffusion.

I want a super portable location diffuser. I had a few elinchrom octas including the 39 deep and though at first in buying another one(the first was broken) but I remembered was kind of big for my needs. Also was looking the 27 inch version but for half the price more or less I can get a profoto umbrella or the softlighter. Saw few reviews online and did some research but don't know which one to take.

Can any of those umbrella can make a beautiful soft light or spend a little more and get a elinchrom ?

Gabriel,

Thanks!

Dec 03, 2016 at 03:07 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Softlighter II vs profoto umbrella vs elinchrom octa

I have no experience with Profoto, but I have both the Elinchrom deep octa and two Photek Softlighters. All of them produce beautiful light. I have a strong preference for the deep octa; I love the way it seems to "pour" light on the subject. Having said that, the Softlighter is no slouch either, and the setup of the Softlighter couldn't be easier. You don't mention your light source; if it's Elinchrom, you would need to order a 7mm umbrella shaft for the Softlighter. It's not standard, but Photek sells them. The standard shaft is 8mm. Also, you'll need to decide which Softlighter is best for you. There are two versions, the "regular" version works best for a monolight or a pack and head system. If you want to use a speed light, there's a version for that, with a different opening that accommodates an umbrella swivel with a flash on top.

Dec 03, 2016 at 06:20 AM
Gab01992
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Softlighter II vs profoto umbrella vs elinchrom octa

Thanks buddy. Yes, I will be using the quadras. If find a good used deal octa I'll get it. If not I'll get the Softlighter.

Thanks!

Dec 03, 2016 at 02:30 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Softlighter II vs profoto umbrella vs elinchrom octa

Since you're using the Quadra, you might want to check out the 41" Varistar diffused umbrella by Elinchrom. It's a decent modifier and even easier to set up than the Softlighter. I use it all the time for fill.

Dec 03, 2016 at 04:25 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Softlighter II vs profoto umbrella vs elinchrom octa

i had the softlighter and didn't think much of the quality. I thought it was cheaply made, the fabric wasn't light-tight, and the diffusion sock started burning and turned brown. IMO, the buff PLM is better made though not as easy to setup.

Dec 03, 2016 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password