FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Fuji XT1 Long Exposure Issue Question

Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fuji XT1 Long Exposure Issue Question

aorbigo wrote:
So my base exposure at f11, ISO200 is 1/10 sec. This is with a CPL and a 3 stop ND grad. I tried taking base exposure after adding these two filters.

Using your base exposure/aperture/iso values (assuming they're taken with no filters on the lens), and assuming 2 stops for the CPL and 3 stops for the ND grad filters (5 in total), I calculate an exposure of 3.2 seconds (2 to the 5th * 0.1 sec).

Using same setting values (all set manually), and adding the big stopper (now we're at 15 stops for all the filters), I calculate an exposure of 54.6 minutes (2 to the 15th * 0.1 sec).

If I were you, I'd have my camera set manually to the base exposure values, then adjust only the exposure (leave iso and aperture alone) to your calculated value. Keep it simple. You need only to meter once - however you choose - with no filters on the lens to determine your base exposure, do the calculation, and then reset your shutter speed. If the light changes or you decide to meter for a different part of the scene, then sure, you need to re-meter for a new base exposure.

Long exposure metering is like sex, best done with the lens naked and without phone apps.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password