FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · White Pocket

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · White Pocket

After leaving VOF, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1463028 we headed to Kanab, UT. The strong winds we experienced were due to a winter storm that passed through the same day that we arrived in Las Vegas. This storm brought the winds, falling temperatures, and snow at the higher elevations. It also brought very contrasty bright blue skies. One of the things I had really been looking forward to doing was visiting White Pocket in the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument.

I had debated renting a 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle and trying to go myself, but I chickened out and booked a photo tour with David Swindler of http://actionphototours.com/. And I'm glad I did. Not that I don't think I could have found the place, although it would have been pretty challenging. But I was not prepared for how large an area it covered. I had done as much research as possible, using Google Maps, PE, and whatnot, but features such as Candyland were in areas opposite of where I thought they were. David did an excellent job of showing me around the place, making sure that I saw all the unique features and what not. Without his help, I would have never have gotten as good an experience as I had there. For those of you who, like me, have never been, I highly recommend him or going with someone who knows the lay of the land.

That said, I was there during the late afternoon/trilight time and it was cold, windy, and the sun was just blazing in there - shadows were problematic and there were no clouds. So I did the best I could do with documenting the area and fighting the contrasty scenes. Needless to say, my more favorite images came during the time closer to twilight. Hope you enjoy them!!

Dec 02, 2016 at 04:18 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · White Pocket

Jim, I think you got some excellent photos there. I've been twice, spending the night there last April with absolutely no one else in the area. I am really glad you are seeing some of the great locations in the Southwest.

Dec 02, 2016 at 04:30 PM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · White Pocket

stanparker wrote:
Jim, I think you got some excellent photos there. I've been twice, spending the night there last April with absolutely no one else in the area. I am really glad you are seeing some of the great locations in the Southwest.

Thanks Stan. And this trip was a real eye-opener. Originally I had planned the trip with the concept that we may not go back. The only real reason for that is because there are so many other areas we have not been to that we want to see. But once being there, I have to say that I am fascinated with the area. I could go back to White Pocket many, many times particularly if I could capture some good light, or even some good clouds. So I guess I shouldn't say never. Time will tell.

Dec 02, 2016 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.