Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2016 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

Disaster
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

My 2 cents. I started out with the 360's. They were refreshingly powerful compared to speed lights. However, with all the pieces that have to go together (brackets, separate battery and cables) they become quite messy, require a lot of space to carry and take longer to set up. I also had battery life issues with the 360's. I switched to the 600's which are cleaner and more powerful. The only negative is they are tipsier on light stands. Worst case you can use the light extensions with the 600's but that is more to carry and you lose about a third stop of light from the wiring. I'm very happy with the FP 600's.

P.S. I also have a PB Einstein and it is faster, more powerful and has more consistent WB over different light levels but the FB's are good enough and their trigger system is robust and cross platform compatible with low investment.

Dec 26, 2016 at 08:57 AM
jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

yeah, i agree. I was originally thinking of replacing the einsteins but IMO, they are superior in quality , light quality and support but I like the size of the 360s for travel. Even with all the brackets and such, it's still easier to take them on a plane.

But yeah, the supposed superiority to buff is extremely over-hyped and exaggerated and i'm guessing fueled largely by people who previously shot exclusively with speedlights.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:26 AM
mihazero

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

For sake of conversation and to put lightbulb physics babble behind I have made 3D model of both bulbs and their light distribution. I intentionaly didnt make it obvious where its less and where more. Differences are subtle, but you can spot them.

https://s27.postimg.org/pzgraz5lv/bowenslight.jpg

https://s28.postimg.org/bfojmqm8d/godox360.jpg

Can you tell the difference?

Jan 18, 2017 at 03:00 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

seems to me your model has the tubes pointing in the wrong direction

Jan 18, 2017 at 06:48 AM
mihazero

p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

Actually both godox (360 version) and torus (BOWENS,PCB) light bulbs are looking in the same direction. At the wall in upper left corner. And on both you can see a line where light doesnt have enough photons being emited from the bulb. Darker line on the wall.

Torus (PCB,BOWENS) light emits much more light forward and backwards and less on the side, while Godox (360) emits more to up and down and less forward and backward due to that being thin side of the tube.

Jan 18, 2017 at 07:39 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

it's hard to tell because the luminosity values of your two pictures are different so the results are misleading IMO. Also, before you can talk up and down, forward and backwards, you should annotate the picture because - and particularly since the tube orientation does not seem logical - it's hard to know what axis you're describing in words.

Jan 18, 2017 at 07:41 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

but thanks for posting that. I think it explains some of the inefficiencies I am seeing in certain modifiers.

Jan 18, 2017 at 07:47 AM
mihazero

p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

I am sorry for confusion. Here is small explanation.

Front - Outwards from your strobe.
Back - Between your strobe and bulb.
Left, Right, Up, Down - Space inside a modifier where light bouces and is being push outward.

https://s30.postimg.org/5mny4aaxt/bowenslight2.jpg

Jan 18, 2017 at 08:09 AM
mihazero

p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

jzucker wrote:
it's hard to tell because the luminosity values of your two pictures are different so the results are misleading IMO.

Actually I intentionaly didnt want to normalize luminosity values, since when i do that difference between darker and brighter areas are less visible.

Jan 18, 2017 at 08:12 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

so based on your modeling, do you agree with my conclusion that the helical flash tube does not work efficiently in softboxes in general and more specifically, the geometry of a strip box?

Jan 18, 2017 at 08:38 AM
mihazero

p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

jzucker wrote:
so based on your modeling, do you agree with my conclusion that the helical flash tube does not work efficiently in softboxes in general and more specifically, the geometry of a strip box?

Actually Godox light bulb spreads its light more to the side using light bouncing as means of almost multi directional photon spread (star trek) to difuse light and also diffusion panel. While torus light in Bowens pushes light more toward diffusion panels as a means of softening the light and relies less on bouncing inside softbox.

Jan 18, 2017 at 09:10 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

So why is the light coming from the same softbox much more contrasty with the godox then? I have shot the same subject with everything exactly the same but with the einstein and the xplor 600 and the xplor comes out much more contrasty. I would expect based on your explanation that the buff would yield more contrasty results. So it's still not making sense to me.

mihazero wrote:
Actually Godox light bulb spreads its light more to the side using light bouncing as means of almost multi directional photon spread (star trek) to difuse light and also diffusion panel. While torus light in Bowens pushes light more toward diffusion panels as a means of softening the light and relies less on bouncing inside softbox.

Jan 18, 2017 at 09:16 AM
mihazero

p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

jzucker wrote:
So why is the light coming from the same softbox much more contrasty with the godox then? I have shot the same subject with everything exactly the same but with the einstein and the xplor 600 and the xplor comes out much more contrasty. I would expect based on your explanation that the buff would yield more contrasty results. So it's still not making sense to me.

Because Godox bounces much more off reflective material, making more contrasty appearance. If you have ever used white umbrella and reflective umbrella, you would understand that reflective gives much more contrasty feel, whereas white gives more gentler and softer feel.

Jan 18, 2017 at 09:37 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

That is still puzzling me. Because in both cases, the light still has to project out the front of the modifier through two layers of white baffle. Are you saying that bouncing more off the sides is still resulting in more contrast than coming out of the front of the modifier? And is that why it's less efficient ? Because more of the light is bouncing around inside the modifier?

mihazero wrote:
Because Godox bounces much more off reflective material, making more contrasty appearance. If you have ever used white umbrella and reflective umbrella, you would understand that reflective gives much more contrasty feel, whereas white gives more gentler and softer feel.

Jan 18, 2017 at 09:56 AM
mihazero

p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

"The shortest path from point A to point B is strait". Hence least amount of power is lost. Torus shoots the light more towards the diffuser and looses least amount of power.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

you answered the wrong question though. My question is why the godox would be more contrasty if it's reflecting off the sides and then going through 2 levels of diffusion compared to the einstein going moreorless straight through the diffusion?

mihazero wrote:
"The shortest path from point A to point B is strait". Hence least amount of power is lost. Torus shoots the light more towards the diffuser and looses least amount of power.

Jan 18, 2017 at 01:00 PM
mihazero

p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

Actually i answered Your question

Here, take a peek.

http://i.imgur.com/hrC7HMc.jpg

Jan 18, 2017 at 01:27 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

no that doesn't answer the question because that "answer" utilizes the same flash for all the examples. The variable here is that one flash is outputting more through the 2 diffusion fabrics and the other one is reflecting off the sides more and *THEN* going through the 2 diffusion panels.

The example above does not answer the question.

Jan 18, 2017 at 01:59 PM
mihazero

p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

Ok. I showed you that umbrella with reflective insides (no diffusion) gives more contrasty look. Next to it is a softbox, that gives more soft look.

Godox bulb behaves more like a reflective umbrella, while torus bulb behaves more like softbox should.

I hope i made it clearer now.

Jan 18, 2017 at 02:04 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)

ok, i think I understand what you're saying. Thanks for all your efforts to clarify this. It's greatly appreciated!

Jan 18, 2017 at 02:30 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.