New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

Strid3r
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

It's been a while since I was on this site everyday, but I've never forgotten the value of this community. I'm hoping to get back into photography on a much more frequent basis where I can benefit more from the site. Lately, I've become less enthused with the quality of what I'm getting from my 50D. I've had the camera for six years (ages on this forum) and am aware of the many negative opinions about the sensor. I've always been frustrated by the high levels of noise - even at 200/400 ISO and have read about the recent gains in dynamic range and ISO performance.

For those of you who upgraded from a 50D as a regular shooter, two questions:
1.) What did you upgrade to, and
2.) How noticeable have the results been due to switching bodies away from a 50D? I know that glass, post processing, and the user matter, but assuming everything was constant for you.

I've always planned to go the XXD route to the 80D - as much as I'd like the M5 to work out I don't know if it's worth it. A friend of mine suggested looking at the 6D. To be honest I've always dismissed the full frame due to the, historically, prohibitive cost and I enjoy the added "reach" from a crop factor. The 6D has changed the game, though.

I'm curious what your experiences have been and what you would recommend to someone who will use only one camera for everything - travel, landscapes, occasional sports and wildlife, and probably more around the house with a baby on the way. I'm not interested in spending more than the 80D or 6D price point as I don't think I will be able to appreciate the value of a 5D III/IV or 1D.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mike

Dec 01, 2016 at 05:04 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

I haven't used either the 80D or the 6D, but I have used a 50D. I went from a 40D to a 5D II, and that was a very good move. I'd kind of say that for you, the choice between the 80D and 6D would be dictated by a couple considerations:
1: The lenses you own, and those you intend to acquire
B: The importance of the "reach" of the crop sensor
AF maybe also, but I'm not knowledgeable on that for those two...

Dec 01, 2016 at 05:23 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

I had all the XXD's from the 20 to 50, the 7 currently the 7D2. I really liked my 50D. Great AF and decent crop power. It had a lot of banding starting at ISO 3200 as I recall. Pretty bad at 6,4000.

From what you are saying I think the 80D might be what you are looking for. I took it for a test run at a local camera store. There is just something about that sensor. Very clean and good with high ISO. I found it was slightly sharper with out MFA than my 7D2 which was MFA'd to the same lens I used for the test. I wish my 7D2 had it. The mirror is motorized so there is not as much slap. Maybe that is why, I don't know.

As Ernie said you get the reach for wildlife with a crop and Canon has some decent STM wider angle lenses that are well priced.

Dec 01, 2016 at 06:03 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

Lets get re-level set ..... if you think the 50D was noisy at ISO 200/400 then step away from photography and do something else.

This statement tells me you are more worried about specs and some theoretical goodness about nothing.

Sounds hash .... but lets wake up and smell the coffee.

Pretty much all digital cameras since the 40D... heck the 20D could make nice prints at 16x20.
(you can add nikon and others....)

The 50D... I have some great shots from my 50D. Not a high iso killer from todays standard..... but a really good crop camera. mount some "L" glass and it will reward you.
Some of the best landscapes I have seen where from a shooter in europe shooting with a 50D and 17-40L.

Lets get back to the joys of taking pictures. Yeah BABY!!!!
The most revered images in... landscape, modern times, glamour, fashion ... whatever .... have nothing to do about noise. seriously.

My statement on the 20D .... been there - done that.... As a wedding shooter. Made albums too.

Which camera....pretty simple....
FF ... 6D.
Crop ... 80D

Want a little more out of the previous mentioned cameras.... 5DmkIII.
Have fundage to spend .... 5DIV, 5Ds/R, 1DX or the big boy 1DXII.

Don't get so caught up in the specs and noise .... if you are looking to make a status statement ... then grab a Leica M9.

Bottom line ... get a camera.... any camera ..... canon, fuji, nikon, sony... which bring excitement in taking pictures. Let it be a camera you want to take with you too.

Noise really is only concern for pro's in fashion/commercial shooters..... really. Maybe some wedding shooters.
I can see star/planet gazers thinking about noise too.

As a pro wedding shooter ... I need the shot first and foremost... I will take the cleanest image but not a must have because when you print in an album or large canvas/print .... noise is not a problem.

Welcome back.

Mark

Dec 01, 2016 at 06:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

80D ... crop that thinks it has FF IQ with its lower base iso.

Dec 01, 2016 at 07:21 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

Although I have a 6D and love it I think the 80D is more suited to your situation. With the 80D you get to keep all your EF-S lenses, and any new lenses can be the less costly EF-S too. The 80D is a more rounded camera, suited to a wider range of photography that the 6D. With recent incremental sensor and engine improvements the low ISO and IQ of the 80D is not going to be that far behind the 6D and probably not noticed unless you start looking hard for it. When the 6D was new it set new standards for IQ and hi ISO at that price point in FF. It was also blessed with a state of the art centre AF point. But it is now being caught up by other cameras including the crops. I would only suggest a 6D (II? if you wait), if IQ and hi ISO were your must have priorities at that price point.
You will notice a big difference with either of these two cameras, but mainly in higher ISO shooting and in AF performance. Good light, slow objects there won't be a big difference, gee, even my old XTi is still good in good light.

Dec 01, 2016 at 07:49 PM
ITR010342
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

I had the 50D about 6 years ago and moved up to the 1D Mark IV and loved that jump. Then added a 6D and other bodies since. Mark IVs are crazy cheap now and the 6D is one of the best all-around bodies I've ever used! One of those would be a great step up!

Dec 01, 2016 at 07:51 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

I have a 50d and an SL1 that I've had since this summer. The high ISO noise is better with the SL1 but not significantly up to ISO 1600 you really can't tell the difference. There is a difference at 3200 but both are not great. I just gave in to the low used prices of the 5dii so that could be an option for you but the 6d is regarded as a better camera. I got the 5dii to hold me over a couple of years and wait on either the 5diii used prices to drop some more or get a 6dii at that time. The only reason for me wanting FF is better high ISO IQ. If I had to choose just one camera for all my needs I think I would have to go with the 80d or the M5 depending on how it performs. I personally will end up with a two camera setup including a M5 and a 6dii.

Dec 01, 2016 at 09:12 PM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

my progression over ~12 years has been 20D --> 40D --> 5D2 --> 1D3 --> 5D3 .

what lenses do you own? this could impact our counsel for you. yes, it may result in people suggesting you look at upgrading glass vs upgrading body.

eg, 50D + 17-55 2.8 would be a great combo.

congrats on having a kiddo on the way! if you don't have a prime yet, I got a nifty fifty (50mm 1.8) just before my son was born (10 yrs ago) and it was a life changing experience.

a used 5D3 could be a stretch for your budget? awesome all arounder. I mention it because I notice you say "some sports". 6D I think would be just fine too, though... great camera for the buck (though I've never used it).

good luck and welcome back to the game

Dec 01, 2016 at 10:27 PM
Strid3r
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

Wow, thanks, everyone. I shouldn't be surprised, but I leave for a few hours and come back to lots of good advice here. I do like hearing the wisdom of the crowd here and am open to suggestions across the board.

I probably should have opened the first post with the fact that I have enjoyed my 50D. I've carried it all over the world and I've gotten some wonderful images out of it over that past 6 years. The upgrade from my Rebel XT was a revelation across the board - image quality, auto focus, drive, ergonomics, the rear wheel, and the large viewfinder.

What inspired in initial inquiry - and perhaps was lost - is that the 50D might be getting long in the tooth compared to some of today's offerings (released in Oct 2008). There have been a number of improvements to digital bodies and sensors in the ensuing years and I'm wondering if it is time to consider an newer body. Do you think upgrading to the 80D (or 6D) might have a similar impact that I saw when I made the jump to 50D many years ago?

Mark – Perhaps saying there was too much noise wasn’t quite right – but what I see during post processing is a lot of noise/grain(?) in the detail and shadows as soon as I'm hitting 800 ISO and its obviously exacerbated when I'm trying to sharpen images. I try to be light handed in PP so I don't think I'm in a situation where I am asking for too much. I can't remember the last time I printed (even on a small scale) an image shot anywhere near 1600 ISO. Banding appears and noise reduction softens up the images up significantly. When I can keep the ISO closer to 200/400 I'm happy with the results, if I'm at 800 ISO it starts going downhill fast.

I do 90% of my PP in Lightroom 5 with Photoshop filling in the rest.

Lenses - I use a fairly standard mid-range set geared toward the crop body, 10-22, 15-85, 100mm Non-L Macro, and 70-300 (USM) . My 50 1.8 collects dust, but maybe that will change in a couple of months. Not L-glass, but not the standard 18-50 kits. I've experienced the benefits of L-glass - renting a long telephotos for some special vacations, but it feels tough to line up the focal lengths on a crop body for wide and medium telephoto where you're not switching frequently. My old Tamron 17-50 sees less action due to the benefits of IS on the other lenses and it makes me worry that the 17-40 would be too limiting on the long end.

Switching to a 6D would carrying some switching costs on the lens side - perhaps having to settle for gaps in coverage in the near term. However, it sounds like there is a good bit of love for the 80D and I had forgotten the 6D was released way back in 2012. Some of the advances since (AF in particular) might make a big difference

I like Zenon’s suggestion. I hadn't thought about going to LensRentals and renting an 80D for a weekend. Seems obvious in hindsight to give it an extended side by side run with my 50D. Might be an easy way to answer the "if" and "which" questions.

Again, thank you to all for taking the time to weigh in with perspectives and experience. It's extremely helpful.

Mike

Dec 01, 2016 at 11:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

Here's a comp @ DR for the 50D vs. 80D vs. 6D.

As you can see, the 80D picks up a little above the 50D across the board, but it really trumps things in the low ISO range. Conversely, the 6D with its larger sensor has the upper hand in the upper ISO range.

While DR isn't the whole story to your decision, it does illustrate the point that depending on what your objective is on the ISO spectrum, can give some credence to your considerations.

Dec 01, 2016 at 11:43 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

IMO the 40D is an upgrade from the 50D. One can't imagine what Canon were thinking with that sensor and for senior engineers to sign off on it defies belief. H

Hard to go wrong no matter what else you choose.

Dec 01, 2016 at 11:49 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

There is currently a good deal on the 80D, if I were you, I'd get it and be on my happy way:

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2016/11/live-again-hot-eos-80d-pixma-pro-100-849-ar-at-buydig/

Dec 01, 2016 at 11:57 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

I feel your pain. I remember when the 50D was a cult classic. I have shot most txi, xxD. I have in the Pelican a T2i, 60D and two years ago I jumped to a 6D. I had/have great glass EFs 10-22; 15-85, and climbed the tree from the 18-55. I had 50 & 85 1.8, 100 BlkMac so I could shoot a FF. I got a deal on Refurbished 6D and added 24-105. This was my first L. I added a 16-28 Tokina 2.8 and 14 2.8 Korean. I am a senior that loves scenic but just shoot light and anything that reflects it. Grand kids yes. Weekend of November 12th for four days my wife and I shot in the Tetons. She is not a shoots that obsessed but has a great eye. She had the 60D with 18-85 and I used the 6D with my lens kit. I was amaze at how well the 60 did but I sure saw an improvement to the 6. I added a Sig 150-500 and my get a G2 if I do I shall look to a 7DII. The 80 is a great camera. I don't think you can go too far wrong.

I was motivated by wanting FF for larger prints. The 6D delieves great low light.

J. R.

Dec 02, 2016 at 12:01 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

Pixel Perfect wrote:
IMO the 40D is an upgrade from the 50D. One can't imagine what Canon were thinking with that sensor and for senior engineers to sign off on it defies belief. H

Hard to go wrong no matter what else you choose.

In many ways I felt that I downgraded moving from the 30d to the 50d. I loved the 30d.

Dec 02, 2016 at 09:24 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

When my 50D got flaky (and the estimate for repair was too high) I upgrade to a 7D2. I converted the 50D to infra-red, and having a great time (except when it is flaky). I also have a 6D, which is surprisingly different (beside sensor size), the different lenses (no EFS), and different controls.

Dec 02, 2016 at 12:57 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

I've upgraded from a 50D to a 6D 3y ago... the biggest drawback is the need to upgrade as least a few of your lenses, and depedning on your shooting style and preferences that might be really pricey. I had the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS and the move to the 6D entailed a 24-70L for me ...

The 6D itself is not a big body, it actually is and feels smaller than the 50D.
If you buy refurb or used, it is not really expensive either, almost inline with a new 80D.
But add the 24-70L, and it gets much bigger and much more expensive.

IQ is there and it is a notable upgrade. The viewfinder is better, but AF is not really better under most circumstances, or won't feel like it at least in good light. The accuracy of the center point is actually better under low light, but peripheral points are not.
Overall the body itself feels "cheaper" than the 50D outside of the OVF - or it did to me. Nothing horrible in any way, it just doesn't feel as an all-around upgrade as you perhaps would have hoped getting your 1st FF camera!

Probably you will feel the same about the 80D too, although it is a better tool all-around, with notably better AF than either the 6D or the 50D.
It is even smaller than the 6D, feels more plastic, but packs a lot of potential. Slightly less on the low light performance unless shooting on a tripod & low ISOs, but overall with handling that probably will appeal better to a casual shooter & the RAW files, much like with the 6D, are a totally different ballpark in malleability.

It might also be a far cheaper upgrade for you if you factor in lenses.

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:08 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

JR Photo wrote:
I feel your pain. I remember when the 50D was a cult classic.

Really? A classic? I don't think I've ever heard the 50D described that way I absolutely hated mine, sold it after a month and bought another 40D instead at a big loss. Horses for courses, I'm glad you like yours.

To make a significant upgrade and stay with crop I would go for a 70D or 80D, the sensors are superior to the 18meg one used in so many cameras

Don't go full frame just because someone here tells you to, there is often no good reason. The new STM EF-S lenses are generally great and cheap.

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:21 PM
Strid3r
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

This certainly has been helpful. Thank you all.

Many of you astutely observed the FF is not something I need and it sounds like the 80D brings an awful lot in terms of IQ to the table, too. Given this is not a money making hobby for me, there is no reason for it to be a fait accompli that I must switch to FF. This sanity check has been extremely helpful and many of you have echoed similar sentiments. Time to go give an 80D a test run, I think, and see how it goes.

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:25 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Upgrade Advice for 50D User

Strid3r wrote:
This certainly has been helpful. Thank you all.

Many of you astutely observed the FF is not something I need and it sounds like the 80D brings an awful lot in terms of IQ to the table, too. Given this is not a money making hobby for me, there is no reason for it to be a fait accompli that I must switch to FF. This sanity check has been extremely helpful and many of you have echoed similar sentiments. Time to go give an 80D a test run, I think, and see how it goes.

The 80D is an excellent camera but if you want very similar still image quality and to save some cash, also check out the 70D

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.