1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Roger Cicala tests the new 24-105 II

DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Roger Cicala tests the new 24-105 II

Fred Miranda wrote:
Personally I never thought the original 24-105L was awesome. It was mainly the very high distortion, CA, low contrast and astigmatism towards the edges that put it off for me. Image stabilization was also very old tech.

Unfortunately the new version won't do very well on high megapixel sensors either. It has a nice center area, better built, better bokeh, better sunstar rendering, better IS, slightly better distortion, and perhaps better flare performance from the new coating. However, It's not much better in resolution and definitely worse in price and weight.

It's not easy to design a very high IQ 24-105mm
...Show more

Well, the photozone test punctures my hope that it might prove better at closer distances (they use charts)
Many of my favorite images in the late Noughties were taken on the older model of this and a 5d2. I look at many of them and wish they were sharper - and I don't really obsess about resolution. So we just have the think of this range as a kind of short superzoom!

Dec 01, 2016 at 03:44 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Roger Cicala tests the new 24-105 II

After reading these 24-105ii topics, I'm in the process of rebuying a v1 copy. Apparently my own v1 copy was plain bad at the wide end and I sold it a couple of months ago. After using a friend's copy recently I found out I must have had a bad lens. With automatic lens profiling and CA correction in LR and some smart sharpening, I get plenty good results at 24mm, even on a 5DsR.

Turns out my friend doesn't use it much and he will probably let me have it, provided he can borrow it back occasionally This will leave me with a great lens and some €€€ to deal with.

Ralph

Dec 03, 2016 at 05:02 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.