Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Idea for Auto flash-plus-Ambient Camera Mode for Correcte...

pshambroom

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Idea for Auto flash-plus-Ambient Camera Mode for Corrected Matched White Balance without gel filters

Why not? I've been thinking about this for years and I'm surprised no manufacturer has done it. Am I missing something?

This idea that could implemented by any camera manufacturer with existing technology, and perhaps added to cameras retroactively in firmware.

Two separate exposures would be made and blended in-camera to create a jpeg. In RAW format both exposures are linked and exported in RAW to be blended and adjusted using plug-ins for ACR, Lightroom or other.

• The first exposure is made at the fasted available sync speed (let’s say 1/250) using TTL flash metering (flash either built-in, camera mounted, or wired or wireless TTL off-camera.) The white balance would be fixed on Daylight or a more specific flash 5000k setting. In most indoor artificial light settings, the ambient light would be under-exposed enough to be insignificant (unless ultra-high ISO and/or ultrafast wide f/stop is in use).
• The second longer ambient-only exposure immediately follows, determined by manual or automatic aperture priority setting. This would use Auto white balance as determined by the camera (which would be baked into the jpeg, but exported in the metadata with the RAW files.)

The ratio between flash and ambient for the jpeg could be fixed, or set in camera preferences. Examples of ratios for Flash:Ambient
Fill flash 1:1, 1:2, 1:4
Flash main with ambient background 2:1, 4:1

The post-processing plug-in for Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom would have a set of sliders for each of the exposures (flash and ambient) to adjust exposure (and thus ratio), color temperature (blue-yellow), and tint (magenta-green.) The default settings would match the daylight-balanced flash to the camera-determined “as Shot” auto white balance of the ambient exposure, to be tweaked to taste.

*Note: this method could also work with HSS where available on certain camera/flash combinations. It would not be necessary though in most HSS situations because HSS is used most commonly in daylight where there is not a mismatch between the daylight-balanced flash and the ambient light color balance.

Nov 30, 2016 at 09:50 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Idea for Auto flash-plus-Ambient Camera Mode for Corrected Matched White Balance without gel filters

Your approach can be implemented with current tech, and would make an ideal camera for event. The interframe delay must be short, so a mirrorless exposure mode seems essential. Note that we studio people do this stuff all the time, but not for live subjects. Product photography shows every Kelvin of color difference among light sources.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:39 PM
pshambroom

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Idea for Auto flash-plus-Ambient Camera Mode for Corrected Matched White Balance without gel filters

That's what I thought, Rico. It's hard to understand why no company has done this. I was a photojournalist and commercial photographer years ago in the age of shooting film transparencies, I used a color meter and packs of gels both for the flashes and the lens. I thought this would all end with the advent of digital, but you still have to carry around packs of flash gels to match the white balance to the ambient. It would be great for a lot shooters - event, wedding, photojournalists, etc. - to not have to do that.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nixland
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Idea for Auto flash-plus-Ambient Camera Mode for Corrected Matched White Balance without gel filters

Not for moving subjects or still subjects with moving parts

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:50 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Idea for Auto flash-plus-Ambient Camera Mode for Corrected Matched White Balance without gel filters

Still subject with moving parts: is that a contradiction? Was shooting frames for a watch—I mean, timepiece. Even working quickly, the second hand kept moving around! I had to mask off the multiple hands in layers.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:54 PM
pshambroom

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Idea for Auto flash-plus-Ambient Camera Mode for Corrected Matched White Balance without gel filters

I think Rico's suggestion that this would be most practical with mirrorless cameras makes sense. The long awaited (perhaps mythological) global shutter would solve the problem, but wouldn't even current technology allow a very minimal time gap between the initial flash exposure and the following ambient exposure? Some cameras have high speed burst modes at full resolution, this mode would only have to buffer the initial flash exposure.

Dec 01, 2016 at 12:11 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password