New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A7II Slow to Write Image

AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior or has thoughts. Have an A7II using a Sony UHS-II card. Shooting single frames it will occasionally but fairly frequently take maybe 2+ seconds. The red status LED will be on and I can't change settings or review. It's not clearly a bigger or anything, it'll happen on a single frame.

Should I worry about the card and / or the write function from the camera? It did take a fall in July but has worked great since.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Nov 29, 2016 at 08:30 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Sony don't support UHS-II. It doesn't have the correct pin alignment for the I/O. You would be much better served by a high speed UHS-I card.

Nov 29, 2016 at 09:39 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7II Slow to Write Image

I know it won't take advantage, but thought they just defaulted to UHS-I type cards without the second row of pins? I've been using this card for several months anyway and this just started a week or two ago.

I use the cards because working with the card on the Comp is significantly faster with UHS-II and a compatible reader.

TheEmrys wrote:
Sony don't support UHS-II. It doesn't have the correct pin alignment for the I/O. You would be much better served by a high speed UHS-I card.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:29 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Have you started to use uncompressed RAW images?

Nov 30, 2016 at 06:39 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Nope, no changes and it annoy every image. Maybe one every 50-100.

ZoneV wrote:
Have you started to use uncompressed RAW images?

Nov 30, 2016 at 06:56 AM
MJKoski
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Mk2 models seems to have their card interface attached to USB2 data bus. Uncomp RAWS take about 2.5 seconds per shot to be written to the card with R2, a bit less with standard A7mk2 model.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:22 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far, but this isn't the normal "My A7x is too slow to write" thread. I shoot a few 10's of thousands of images a year, I'm used to its normal behavior. Recently it seems to hang maybe every 50-100 shots. Instead of its usual time to clear and unlock the camera, it'll take 3-4x longer, its very noticeable. Then on the next shot will go back to normal. Then a while later it'll do the same thing again. Not shooting brackets, haven't changed to uncompressed, etc.

Doesn't sound like anyone else has seen this though.

Nov 30, 2016 at 01:28 PM
MJKoski
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Failing memory card?

Nov 30, 2016 at 01:57 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Do you reformat your cards?

Nov 30, 2016 at 02:36 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7II Slow to Write Image

I was wondering about the card but haven't seen files dropped. Still going to keep an eye on that.

I do format from time to time. I didn't realize the SD Association makes a re-formatting app. I tried that today but it's grey and rainy here so we'll see next time I get out if it pops up again.

Nov 30, 2016 at 03:12 PM
xpfloyd
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Have you tried a different card for a few hundred shots to rule out the camera? Seems like that would give you your answer

Nov 30, 2016 at 06:40 PM
Slalom
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Crazy thought but is it the format of the card,

If the card has any subdivision of memory, when the existing division is full, the logic to shift to another division could create a delay.

There would be minimal delay if every write checked if it would fit but if the failure to write traps it then writes again you would see a delay.

Alternately there would be a delay if the indexing has to be reorganized.

This is from files on computers, I know little about SD cards.of any performance rating,

But this seems to neutral on the above thoughts, see clusters below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Clusters can be 32MiB slightly larger than 32MB as it is a power of 2 not a power of 10.
32Mb is roughly the size of a Jpg and ARW at full resolution my A7II. So I wonder what image settings are employed.

My guess would be that the ARW and but any Jpg could hit a poor bit of logic.needing 2 clusters.

Nov 30, 2016 at 06:56 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A7II Slow to Write Image

Haven't tried a different card yet. Going to shoot with the re-formatted card for a bit first and see if it continues.

Slalom, you do bring up an interesting point. The card ended up full without me realizing on Monday. Now I've seen this behavior for a little while, and had a couple of high shot count shoots, so I'm not really sure it didn't pre-date a full card, but it could be that the camera was having to look harder and harder for open sectors to write too. I don't know if the card/camera combo uses sequential blocks or random blocks for load balancing, but it certainly could have been at least part of the problem.

Dec 01, 2016 at 09:38 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.