Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

I understand that all the non-OEM batteries for the D500 don't work in the camera. But does anyone know if the non-OEM ones work if in the grip?

I own 2 OEM batteries but was looking at some good deals on non-OEM that come with a nice dual-charger and would then have the non-OEM in the grip and OEM in the camera.

Most times I'm okay with just my 2 OEM batteries for a day of shooting but would like a few spares without spending Nikon money.

Thanks

Nov 29, 2016 at 07:54 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

I have Vertax-grip and that works fine with non-OEM batteries. I tried it with no battery in the D500

Nov 30, 2016 at 04:30 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

Chris Dees wrote:
I have Vertax-grip and that works fine with non-OEM batteries. I tried it with no battery in the D500

Thanks Chris. I have the Newer grip, I think I will try the non-OEM ones....only $45CDN for 2 of them and a nice compact double charger.

Nov 30, 2016 at 08:40 AM
jtmdmd12
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

I have the Nikon grip & this works great- >5000 shots for a couple of football games or all day shooting. I don't know if Amazon has them right now, but I have been pleased with it- it was about $40.

DSTE® EN-EL18A Replacement Li-ion Battery for Nikon MB-D12 Battery Grip
by DSTE
4.4 out of 5 stars 10 customer reviews | 6 answered questions
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Battery Type: Li-ion
Battery Capacity :43.3WH/3900mAh
Compact and lightweight spare battery
A 12V Car Lighter Adapter Convenient for Journey
Not full decoded version,just show battery icon,do not show percentage on the camera LCD

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:21 AM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

jtmdmd12 wrote:
I have the Nikon grip & this works great- >5000 shots for a couple of football games or all day shooting. I don't know if Amazon has them right now, but I have been pleased with it- it was about $40.

by DSTE

The official Nikon EN-EL15 battery is $50 on B&H. I recommend just paying the extra $10 for your $2k camera at that point.

Nov 30, 2016 at 01:25 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

blurredvision wrote:
The official Nikon EN-EL15 battery is $50 on B&H. I recommend just paying the extra $10 for your $2k camera at that point.

$45CDN for 2 of them and a nice compact double charger or $50,00 for one OEM is quite a difference, especially if you already have a 3rd party grip.

Mine was from eBay and about €120,00; grip, double charger and 2 batteries.
Overhere a battery is €70 and the grip is €450

Nov 30, 2016 at 02:39 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

Interesting. My guess would be because the batteries inside the grip get rigged to report as AA batteries. So the battery life meter won't be accurate but shouldn't matter.
And if i were to risk using 3rd party batteries i'd use them in the grip. As if they fail due to expansion they won't get stuck in the body.

It didn't dawn on me to try it in a grip. I'll have to find it but i got one 3rd party and time to try it in the OEM grip.

Nov 30, 2016 at 03:14 PM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

mrgetalife wrote:
Interesting. My guess would be because the batteries inside the grip get rigged to report as AA batteries. So the battery life meter won't be accurate but shouldn't matter.
And if i were to risk using 3rd party batteries i'd use them in the grip. As if they fail due to expansion they won't get stuck in the body.

It didn't dawn on me to try it in a grip. I'll have to find it but i got one 3rd party and time to try it in the OEM grip.

It's assumed that Nikon has locked out third-party batteries and the only way they can do that is at the battery contacts within the camera. Since third-party grips don't utilize those contacts, but the other connector on the bottom of the camera, it can't "read" what battery is being used in the grip.

Nikon could always start locking out third-party grips though using the same method...

Nov 30, 2016 at 06:26 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

I use only Sanyo Eneloop AA's for my Nikon DSLR battery grips. So far, I have purchased only Nikon battery grips, though that may change down the road.

I have an 8-battery Watson charger and I simply recharge the batteries and rotate them.

Just 1/2 hour ago I stripped the 8 Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries from the D500's MBD-17's magazine and replaced them with 8 fully charged AA's from the PowerPax magazines; i.e. I keep several of these PowerPax magazines loaded with fully charged AA's. I also have PowerPax that take AAA's.

There is no problem at all because I have been doing this for close to a decade. This is the only way I power these grips.

The AA battery-life meter indicator does not work with these. So what? No big deal at all. I shoot so much that I have a good idea when they are running low and I just rotate them anyway. Besides, if I am really not sure, I just switch to the Nikon battery in the D500 and charge them when I get home. Also, the Watson has an option to drain them to total exhaustion. These are 1900 mAh nickel metal hydrides.

Nov 30, 2016 at 06:54 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

jtmdmd12 wrote:

by DSTE
4.4 out of 5 stars 10 customer reviews | 6 answered questions
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Battery Type: Li-ion
Battery Capacity :43.3WH/3900mAh
Compact and lightweight spare battery
A 12V Car Lighter Adapter Convenient for Journey
Not full decoded version,just show battery icon,do not
...Show more

I got a couple of these.
Use one in the 500 and one in the 810. They just got all day.

Amazon wouldn't ship them to Australia so had some family who were there bring them back. Wish I'd gotten a couple more.

Nov 30, 2016 at 07:31 PM
jtmdmd12
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

blurredvision wrote:

This isn't the EN-EL15 battery, it is the EN-EL18A for the D5 & D810 grip that is $150-220 & is 3900mAh vs 1900mAh for the EN-EL15, so there is a major price difference. It also has a built-in BL-5 cap to use in the grip so you don't have to buy it separately for ~$25. These last forever (5000 clicks is conservative). I have used the DSTE® EN-EL4A Rechargeable Li-ion Batterys in D3s for several years without any problem at all.

Dec 01, 2016 at 08:44 AM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

The Eneloop batteries are simply the best rechargable low discharge batteries out there (the white colored, not the black Eneloops).
By using the excellent MAHA C-9000 can you discharge batteries, break-in, regular charge or refresh.
Your batteries do go on like forever before they eventually after many years will fail on you.

Dec 01, 2016 at 01:14 PM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

jtmdmd12 wrote:
This isn't the EN-EL15 battery, it is the EN-EL18A for the D5 & D810 grip that is $150-220 & is 3900mAh vs 1900mAh for the EN-EL15, so there is a major price difference. It also has a built-in BL-5 cap to use in the grip so you don't have to buy it separately for ~$25. These last forever (5000 clicks is conservative). I have used the DSTE® EN-EL4A Rechargeable Li-ion Batterys in D3s for several years without any problem at all.

You're absolutely right, I completely glossed over that part. Sorry about that.

Dec 01, 2016 at 01:48 PM
jtmdmd12
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

No problem. I really like this in the grip, they work fine in the Nikon grip I got before the third party grips came out (unfortunately $)& its nice "never" having to change batteries on a shoot. With the EN-EL15 in the body you get about 7500 clicks.

Dec 01, 2016 at 02:40 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

bs kite wrote:
I use only Sanyo Eneloop AA's for my Nikon DSLR battery grips. So far, I have purchased only Nikon battery grips, though that may change down the road.

I use Eneloops in my MB-D12 and MB-D17 too, and they work great! Two questions:

1. How do you like those yellow battery carriers? Are they pretty easy to use (insert and remove batteries) and pretty secure?

2. Does anyone know how much an EL-EN18A weighs? I'm trying to figure out how much weight I'd save with that vs. the AAs.

Thanks!

Dec 01, 2016 at 03:05 PM
pe1125

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

I have the DSTE grip with EN-EL18A battery pack. Unfortunately, the latter doesn't work and has been sent back to DSTE in China for replacement. 6 weeks and counting, no replacement yet and I'm out $51 shipping. Should have just bought another EN-EL18 pack for $38.

If I recall correctly form DSTE's instructions, the EN-EL18A pack and the loaded AA pack weigh about the same. EN-EL15 pack is of course a few ounces lighter.

In my unit a Wasabi EN-EL15 was not recognized by the D500, but Nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion20's were.
Peter

Dec 01, 2016 at 03:24 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Non-OEM D500 batteries in grip?

Andre Y wrote:
I use Eneloops in my MB-D12 and MB-D17 too, and they work great! Two questions:

1. How do you like those yellow battery carriers? Are they pretty easy to use (insert and remove batteries) and pretty secure?

2. Does anyone know how much an EL-EN18A weighs? I'm trying to figure out how much weight I'd save with that vs. the AAs.

Thanks!

Hi

How are they?

1058 customers give them a 5-star rating.

https://www.amazon.com/Storacell-Powerpax-Battery-Yellow-Batteries/dp/B004YG7JXW

Nothing comes close to these.

Very clever design, very innovative.

Dec 01, 2016 at 07:16 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.