Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

JPuckettPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

I'm a hobbyist photographer and mainly shoot family. I've done an engagement session or two for friends with no expectations, and that's about as far as I will ever go (not interested in shooting professionally). I currently use a D7100 and am fairly happy with it. I've lately gotten into setting up a home studio in my garage and generally like shooting portraiture, either in the studio or candid as my kids play around the house.

I purchased a Sigma 18-35/1.8 3 years ago and just haven't used it as much as I thought I would. It's too wide for my tastes and even on a crop sensor, I feel like I have to get closer to my subjects than I want to. Last year I picked up a Nikon 85/1.8 and love the output, but in my smaller house, I'm finding myself very often wishing I had a zoom for some versatility. I also have a Nikon 50/1.8D (that I haven't used in years) and a Nikon 105/1.8 (that I bought mainly just for dabbling in macro).

Please help me pick between these two lenses or convince me that I don't need either of them. I've listed my thought process on each.

Sigma 50-100/1.8
- Seems to be the ultimate portrait lens for crop sensor.
- Great reviews, super sharp, gives FX-like results.
- The zoom range seems perfect for what I'm looking for when shooting in studio and candid house shots.
- But then again, this seems only good for portraits and candids, but not much else. The lens seems like a one-trick pony but it is the trick I'm currently looking for.
- I'm not in the market currently to move to full-frame but I could see myself maybe doing that in 2-3 years. Could I? Yes. Will I? Maybe not, but who knows. I feel like buying this lens will essentially tie me into DX unless I want to lose money, which isn't such a bad thing but makes me think twice.
- $1100 price OK but worth it?
- Paired with the Sigma 18-35/1.8 I already have, it seems like this is a great compliment lens.

Tamron 70-200/2.8 Di VC USD
- I've wanted a 70-200/2.8 in my arsenal since I started this hobby. It has always seemed to be THE lens to have because it's so versatile.
- Can be used for portraits but 70 isn't much wider than the 85 I mainly use now, and since I shoot in a smaller home, getting an extra 15mm on the wide end doesn't seem as helpful.
- But, I could make do with 70 on the wide end. Having the ability to go to 200 makes the lens so versatile that it will be great for other uses in the future, as my young daughters grow older and hopefully start getting into sports, dance, gymnastics...something.
- Should I ever move to FX in the future, this lens would move easily with me.
- I feel if I got this lens though, I would want to pair it with a 24-70/2.8 at some point, which my mind views as extra cost, haha.
- Current rebate of $300 is great and brings the cost down to $1200, so if I go with this lens, it needs to be now.
- Lens seems to be well reviewed and well received, making it worth the price.

I'm so confused. Any comments on which way I should go, or if I shouldn't go at all? I could continue to use my allotment of primes but I really like having one lens on the body and not having to switch.

Thanks for any advice.

Nov 29, 2016 at 04:45 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

Option C, FX body to use with your 85mm.

Nov 29, 2016 at 04:54 PM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

Vcook wrote:
Option C, FX body to use with your 85mm.

Trust me, I've given that a lot of thought as well, and I guess it's still technically an option. My biggest hangup is that all Nikon FX bodies are a couple of years old at this point and we all know their replacements are right around the corner. Yes, they're all perfectly capable, but if the successor is right around the corner, I can't bring myself to fork out as much money as Nikon is wanting currently (even with the holiday sale) when I feel like I can just wait 5 months and pay a couple extra hundred for a new model.

Maybe I just buy no lens right now and wait.

Nov 29, 2016 at 04:58 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

seems like used d600/d610 bodies go for pretty cheap, cheaper than your lens options.

Nov 29, 2016 at 04:59 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

Pick up a D750 for the 85 f/1.8, especially at the holiday pricing.

Nov 29, 2016 at 06:01 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

You don't need a new camera. Options are the Sigma 50-100mm f1.8, a 60mm f2.8 Micro, Voigtlander 58mm f1.4, and for bigger $$ the Nikon 58mm f1.4.. This lens looks very intriguing, might be worth looking into:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1130076-REG/lensbaby_lbv56bn_velvet_56mm_f_1_6_lens.html

As for "tying you in" to a camera, I buy and sell lenses, cameras, etc. all the time. The trick is to buy used when possible. I almost always sell for what I paid for it.

Kent in SD

Nov 29, 2016 at 06:05 PM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

The biggest reason I'd move to another body is for increased ISO performance. I don't really see from the studio samples on dpreview that a D610 will give me much more over what my D7100 to justify the cost. Now the D750 and D500...yep. Sometimes I like to just grab the camera and shoot without a flash, but I don't typically go above ISO 1600, which is hard to do in a dark living room. I'm not fully happy with 1600 on my D7100 but it works.

Nov 29, 2016 at 07:53 PM
drtaylor23
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

I just went D7100 to D610. I was totally happy with 3200 on the 7100 and let the D610 rip at 6400. That's one stop and it doesn't sound like much, but that's just top end. You can apply that all the way down. The flexibility of the D610 files is MUCH higher. Night and day. +100 shadows and -100 highlights? No problem!

I was worried I wouldn't see a difference, but I do. I managed a stupid deal on a D700 (free after I sold the lenses) and that stacked up closer, but still better than the D7100. My Sony RX1 just ruined me on the 7100 even though I loved my lenses and went through like 30 finding the best of the best.

My out of pocket on the body swap was $350. Totally worth it.

AF might be marginally better on the D7100, but I've yet to find a situation where it mattered. Halloween night I had several people act all amazed my camera was humming along in the dark.

Not bad for a lowly consumer model I say.

Don't sleep on the Tokina 50-135. Guaranteed it will blow you away for the price. That's a stop gap while you get sorted to preserve budget and it'll work as 135 f/2.8 on FX with no vignetting.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:08 PM
CJMiller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

The Sigma 50-100 is awesome. I use it on a D7100 and D7200. I also struggle with the 18-35 being too wide for my liking. I am really enjoying the 50-100 range on my crop cameras. I sold my Nikon 70-200 after deciding 70 was a bit too long sometimes. The 50-100 hardly ever comes off my 7200, it's very sharp and very quick to focus.
Good luck with your decision.
Chris

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:20 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

D6x0 series is more than a stop better in ISO performance, but at least a stop worse on low-light AF. If you're mostly in good/decent light, not such a big deal.

Buy a used 50-100 f/1.8 Sigma, because it is the right focal length for what you're wanting to do, and because it is a good lens. One sold here on the buy/sell forum for $800 recently.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:10 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

The 50-100 is a great choice. Works well on FX in crop mode too.
Focus is great and sharp images it produces.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:23 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

I'd have to disagree with all the others and suggest the 24-70mm G version (non-VR); they're sharp, fast focusing, and ~$1000 or less now on the used market.

You've already got 85 and 105mm for longer stuff, and 18-35 was too wide for you, so it sounds like you need a standard/mid-range zoom to me. 70-200 is mostly covered by your two primes other than the times you want the long end closer to 200...but it sounds like you don't need that just yet (you mentioned smaller house). Also, you mention you haven't used the 50mm in years, and the 85mm is too limiting for the smaller indoors spaces, so I get from that that the 50-100mm isn't going to be of much use either.

Although technically you have a good range of focal lengths covered already (18-35, 50, 85, 105) so I'd ask what focal lengths are you mostly at now when you're shooting the majority of your stuff?

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:34 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

Double post

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:34 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

I'm with tdlavigne. 24-70 non-VR

I pretty much only take pictures of my kids and a lot of it is indoors. I started with a D7000 and eventually moved to FX.

But when I was on DX, I really liked the 24-70. 2.8 helped tremendously with low light and subject isolation. and 24-70 on DX just fit my style very well.

a 70-200 would be excellent, but i find it too long on DX to use indoors on kids unless you're shooting headshots

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:50 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

The 70-200 on a DX body is really great for outdoor and shooting sports. The 50-100 can too but is limited by the reach A LOT. 200mm on a DX body gives you about 300mm FOV at f2.8. The DOF would be very shallow. With the 50-100, you only get 150mm FOV the most. You are losing out twice the focal lenght/FOV. Yes, a f1.8 zoom is tempting but you are losing out the reach and VC. If you need 50mm at f1.8, you can get the Nikon 50 f1.8g. Is really sharp at f2.2. Is only $140 or less in the used market.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:04 AM
ariot
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

On a budget the AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D lens would give him some room to work in a smaller area. Same for the 35 F1.8G, or any good 35 really. I hear good stuff about the 24 F/1.8 too, putting him around 35mm on the DX body.

Nov 30, 2016 at 08:18 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

- But then again, this seems only good for portraits and candids, but not much else. The lens seems like a one-trick pony but it is the trick I'm currently looking for. - I'm not in the market currently to move to full-frame but I could see myself maybe doing that in 2-3 years. Could I? Yes. Will I? Maybe not, but who knows. I feel like buying this lens will essentially tie me into DX unless I want to lose money, which isn't such a bad thing but makes me think twice. - $1100 price OK but worth it?
NOT one trick pony nor do you have to spend $1100. I shoot candids/portraits/rodeo with mine...
on the D7200/D500 and my D810 in 1.2 crop mode. No other AF zoom will touch the IQ, none.
If the FL works for you, it's a no brainer. Try Greentoe for new (be patient) or Sigma Outlet for refurb.

Got mine for $949 shipped NIB USA

Edited on Nov 30, 2016 at 08:41 AM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2016 at 08:28 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

Sigma 50-100/1.8 unless you plan on going full-frame soon. 1.8 is a bonus if you are doing portraits outside too.

70-200 is very long for DX and it is a monster of a lens to cart around.

Nov 30, 2016 at 08:39 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

70-200...monster of a lens to cart around.
the 50-100's actually about the same size,
fatter but a bit shorter...weight is almost identical.

Nov 30, 2016 at 08:43 AM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need some help picking between two lenses.

Thanks so much to everyone for the conversation. One thing I've taken away from this is that when I typed that I hadn't used my 50/1.8D in a few years, I really should take it back out and start shooting with it again. When I started out with photography, I loved primes, but I'm now getting to the point where a zoom would be so much more versatile for me.

Still some decisions to be made but I don't believe I'll be picking up the 70-200 before that rebate expires.

Nov 30, 2016 at 09:42 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.