New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Flashpoint setup with Nikon SB 800

Kimbolina

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flashpoint setup with Nikon SB 800

Feeling lost here...

Hoping to get a little bit of direction with the flashpoint setup compatible with Nikon.

I purchased the R2 Radio Transmitter/Receiver with the Flashpoint zoom Li-on ttl flash and have an additional Nikon SB800 speedlight and am having trouble setting up the system.

Essentially, when the transmitter is on my camera (D750) with the SB 800 attached, the SB 800 will not flash when I click the shutter. Not sure what I am doing wrong and what settings should be in order for it to fire. I have taken off the transmitter and put my SB 800 on my camera and it works fine so something must be wrong with my settings from transmitter to flash?

The off camera flash (Flashpoint zoom li-on) is fine and does fire when my transmitter and receiver are set to the same group/channel.

Do I need to have my flash set to master and then go in on the camera and change settings?

Anyone have this issue?

Nov 29, 2016 at 03:52 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flashpoint setup with Nikon SB 800

If I am reading this correctly, you're putting the Zoom TTL (rebranded Godox v860iin) on your D750 and have the SB-800 triggered by an X1Rn, is this correct?

Flash should be in TTL mode on the trigger. I believe you should mount the flash on the receiver, power flash on, then power on the receiver.

Nov 29, 2016 at 04:21 PM
Kimbolina

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flashpoint setup with Nikon SB 800

Thank you for the response...

I had the SB 800 on my D750 (with the transmitter attached) with the Zoom TTL on the lightstand (on receiver).

I just switched wondering if that had anything to do with it but still cannot get the flash (either one) to fire from my D750 when it is on the transmitter (so D750, with transmitter, with flash = no flash). When the flash is just on the D750 (no transmitter attached), it fires off fine...

I want to be able to flash on camera and off simultaneously and just can't figure out what I am missing here...

Nov 29, 2016 at 06:02 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flashpoint setup with Nikon SB 800

If you have the SB800 on top of the X1Tn and you press the test button, does it fire the SB800? The D750 is notorious for having fitment issues with third party stuff in the hotshoe sometimes.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:33 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flashpoint setup with Nikon SB 800

Let me begin to say I don't have any experience with the R2 Radio Transmitter/Receiver nor the Flashpoint zoom Li-on ttl flash, so can't say anything specific on how those work/should work

I however use PW TT5 (radio, TTL enabled) Transmitter/Receivers, in combination with Nikon speedlights like the SB800

Based on that background, I wonder if the R2 and Flashpoint zoom (and SB800) should set up in a similar way as with the PW TT5's in combination with your R2 triggger/receivers

Let's to make things simple assume you shoot using the camera's TTL flash mode

With the TT5 (and I suspect the R2 as well) set up of th etrigger on the camera is simple. Just attach the (in my case) TT5, switch everything on starting from the top ( so, if you als have a speedlight on top of the trigger, 1) speedlight, 2) trigger 3) camera )

Things however become more complicated with the remote flash and trigger.

When you use the 'old fashioned' standard IR (non radio) triggered Nikon CLS system, (by pushing the SEL button on the back of the SB800 you get into the various customizable settings possible) the camera becomes/is to be selected the Master, and the off camera flash as the Remote

The latter (Remote) should also be dialed on into the SB800's menu. Note that with the SB800 in (old fashioned IR triggered CLS) Remote Mode, you can't change the flash Modes (M, TTl, RPT etc) on the SB800 itself anymore, but only through the camera's E3 menu

If you however work with radio triggers like the TT5's (and possible/probably also the R2's) and only use one remote flash (and don't remotely through the E3 option in your camera's Custom Menu play around with the power settings) things are far simpler

The choice of channel (A,B or C) on the camera mounted trigger is not important (if you do want to play around with that, check your manual, a bit too much to get into in this post)

Since you only have one remote (receiver) and don't mess with the settings, choosing A, B or C on the receiver (the off camera flash, and in your case R2) are moot as well

However; the settings on the SB800 itself are important as well.
When I have a Nikon speedlight on top of the TT5 trigger off camera, it is very important NOT to mess around with the 'Master/Remote' settings, NOR the various power/metering Modes TTL, P, RPT etc on the SB800.

With the TT'5's, I just keep the SB800's Master/Remote option on Off, and the Mode on TTL (so basically the same set up as when you use a SB800, without trigger, directly mounted on yor camera, in TTL metering mode)
The electronics of the TT5's (and probably your R2's as well) simply overrule those settings, and operate based on whatever your R2 on camera trigger's info is.

Obviously the whole above is written based upon my experience with PW TT5's and a Nikon SB800
But the technology of many of the Chinese (basically copy) TTL radiotriggers and speedlights (which BTW does not imply I automatically find them inferior, they simply were not around yet when I bought my more expensive PW TT5's) works I suspect in the same way

HTH

Nov 30, 2016 at 06:43 AM
Kimbolina

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flashpoint setup with Nikon SB 800

Okay, this makes sense @Paul_K...

I did play around with settings through the camera but I think that is why it was not working. I now have my Zoom Li-on flash on top of the transmitter on the D750. The Nikon SB 800 is to be used as my external on top of the receiver...

Adorama actually got back to me on the question and said the below...just an fyi in case anyone has this issue in the future...

From Adorama:
Please understand that running around shooting a wedding with a speedlight on top of the radio will apply immense torque to the transmitter, which may cause damage
For event photographers I strongly encourage you to use an R2 enabled speedlight (either the AA zoom or the lithium ion Zoom Li-on)… These are designed to be used as on camera flashes while working as R2 masters without the need for an additional transmitter. They fully support any Nikon/Canon/Sony features you are accustomed to.
Then, use your nikon flash OFF camera on the reciver you bought.

Nov 30, 2016 at 07:43 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flashpoint setup with Nikon SB 800

tag for further reading

Dec 01, 2016 at 02:08 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flashpoint setup with Nikon SB 800

Kimbolina wrote:
...I now have my Zoom Li-on flash on top of the transmitter on the D750. The Nikon SB 800 is to be used as my external on top of the receiver...

You have the Zoom on top of the X1Tn? The Zoom has a transmitter & receiver built in (and better interface IMO).

Dec 01, 2016 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.