New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Printed or Digital Portfolio

chesterp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printed or Digital Portfolio

So, I have a job interview coming up. The position is for email marketing, however they also took interest in my photographic skills. They've already seen my website, which I customized with various work for the phone interview. However, they're calling me in for an in-person interview and have requested some more work to look at.

I have two photo projects I plan to share and a mix of design templates as well - I'm trying to provide variety while still tailoring the mix to the position/company as best possible.

I went out and bought an ITOYA portfolio today, and had planned to order some 11x14's. But then, I realized it would really only be affective for the photo portion of my work as with email they're pretty lengthy and hard to fit on paper. So then I thought, why don't I just make the whole thing a PDF and bring it in digitally.

What are your thoughts? My only worry is you lose a little bit of the personality associated with having a physical print in hand. Buying the portfolio & paying for prints would certainly be an investment, around $300 after everything is said and done so going digital would save a good amount of money (the only real upside I see to it). Any feedback is helpful!

Thanks!

Nov 29, 2016 at 07:49 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printed or Digital Portfolio

I would say if it were a photography job, I would definitely go with physical prints. The fact that its an email marketing job, showing tech savvy should work in your favor. Sounds like the Photography part is secondary anyway. Given the specifics, I would lean toward the digital on this one.

Good luck in any case!
Paul

Nov 30, 2016 at 01:45 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Printed or Digital Portfolio

I wouldn't be doing a boring arse PDF, I'd be doing a slide show with stills, video and most importantly, Music and narration. The more senses and emotion you can tap into, the more powerful and moving the presentation.

If this is a marketing job, the most important thing is to market yourself. If you can't do that, then how you going to be with anything else?
The key thing with any interview is to make an impression and stand out from the crowd so you are remembered.

I would consider if practical, preparing a basic folder of info to leave them. Your resume, some pics, whatever. I do this when I go after some event type work. Print everything on heavy glossy Photo paper so it looks a million bucks. Presentation is about 13 sheets of A4 paper and I put it all in a cheap but classy looking cardboard presentation folder I buy from the office supply place for about $15 for a pack of 12. They are gloss white with a pocket inside and slits to put a business card.

Probably cost me about $4 to put together but I have a 14/15 strike rate with the things so far and each job is worth anything from 4-10K to me.
Not a bad marketing investment I'd say.
Everything is in there for them to show anyone else and make the buying decision.
I have won jobs on the spot with my folder when the competition have been in the same day. This happened once and I asked the woman why she chose me over the competitor. She reached to a bowl of pens and paper clips and assorted junk on her window sill and said " this is what the other guy left. I can't remember his prices, his packages, what he does or how he does it." She picked up my folder and said " you gave me this. Everything I wanted to know and things I hadn't thought of. If you were me, which one would you hire?"
Some people tell me that spending $4 on my presentation is too much.
Yeah right!

I once decided to take a break from Photography and got an interview for a sales job I applied for. Get there and the owner of the company says tell me about yourself and what you have done. I said well it's all there in front of you, what were you interested in knowing more about specifically?

Guy says well I didn't actually read your application or resume, I just read the first line you wrote and thought well if you can write that, you can sure sell so I just picked up the phone to get you in here.
Later he showed me the stack of applications he had. I was the only one he interviewed and got the job there and then.

Do it different, go big and blow their socks off. Tell them why you are better than the next guy. Tell them what you can do for them and make them laugh. No one wants some stick in the mud, especially in the IT and advertising fields.
There is more opportunity to put some personality into something like this and sell yourself for all you are worth.
You reckon any other vulture out there is going to do that?
Imagine being the interviewer and seeing this endless parade of people coming in passing over the same black on white resumes telling them how wonderful they are and being bored out of their minds. Then this guy comes along with a slide show on his computer.

If they see 1000 people, which one guy do you think will stand out for all the RIGHT reasons?

Do the slide show, put it on your laptop, have it spooled up ready to go and when it's Finished and they ask if you have any questions, ask them " When would you like me to start?"

They will probably tell you!

Nov 30, 2016 at 02:03 PM
chesterp

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Printed or Digital Portfolio

Thanks a ton guys for the feedback. After some consultation, and your responses, I think I'm going with both.

I've picked out a 13x19 portfolio for the design stuff, to showcase the long wire frame projects and a 11x14 for my photos. I've pretty much recognized that the images are a little less important, as this is primarily a marketing position. However, I still want to have a variety of stuff. I plan on bringing some other longer wireframes on my iPad and computer.

Now, to get these things on the plane

Nov 30, 2016 at 08:07 PM
Zilt

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Printed or Digital Portfolio

I'd recommend checking this out if you're looking for a custom portfolio solution. It may provide some better insight on it. This is mostly for beginners that don't know much about these kind of things. But it should help everyone.

Jan 09, 2017 at 07:35 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password