Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

Oscarsmadness
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

All but one of my speedlights are of some iteration of the V860I and II (Flashpoint stuff) on the R2 triggering system. I love them!

I'm planning to get a strobe eventually, though it's not a high priority. Should I go with the Flashpoint stuff again or should I use a PCB alienbees or einstein system for strobes?

Nov 29, 2016 at 02:18 PM
Jay Ford

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

You love the system, stick to the system. I got great use out of my PCB lights, but the V600s are sure easier to use on location, don't have any wires or antennas on the outside to break or wear out, and I also picked up some Godox speedlights, which are pretty handy to fill light here and there and work seamlessly with their big brothers.

Still got the PCBs, but they are Studio Queens these days.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:16 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

You should definitely go into the PCB system - I have a great set for sale!

Only selling them because I picked up a full set of Godox/Flashpoint flashes and strobes

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:26 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

I've already ordered a streaklight 360 but now I'm thinking of getting a collapsible PCB octabox. They seem to be the best around for the price.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:57 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

Do you need a modelling light? PCB. All-day firing with a cooling fan? PCB. Potential long-range triggering via RadioPoppers? PCB. Great support through the OEM rather than a VAR? PCB.

Develop your mandatory / desired feature list and see what fits best.

If you do go PCB, you can just stack the trigger (RadioPopper or PCB) on top of the X1T transmitter. Works for me.

Nov 30, 2016 at 01:54 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

mikethevilla wrote:
You should definitely go into the PCB system - I have a great set for sale!

Only selling them because I picked up a full set of Godox/Flashpoint flashes and strobes

you are not helping!

Dec 01, 2016 at 04:56 AM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

XPLOR 600 with the AC adapter!

Dec 02, 2016 at 03:03 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

This system just keeps getting better. The other amazing thing is that the speedlights work with the strobes seamlessly, with TTL and HSS.

paregorike wrote:
XPLOR 600 with the AC adapter!

Dec 02, 2016 at 05:12 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

I was deciding between an AB and a flashpoint Streaklight and I went for the latter because of the portability. (Of course AB's would last longer though.) And I didn't have a flashpoint before. If you get a PCB and you want to be able to control the power remotely you need to get a Cyber Commander in addition to your R2 which adds both to cost and complexity. I believe sticking to one system makes more sense. If you Google "flashpint vs Paul Buff" you get some comparisons. Here is what I found some time ago on DPreview and copied it but unfortunately can't remember the URL:

The flashpoints are variable powerwise from full to 1/8th. The AB's go to 1/32.

The modeling lamp in the flashpoints is 150w. Stock lamp in the AB's is 100w but most upgrade to a 150w one. Its a standard E26 bulb in both units. Proportional setting option for both units

AB casing is high-impact Lexan polycarbonate Flashpoints are metal shelled

Both units are fan cooled.

AB recycle time is 1 sec vs. 1-3 sec for the flashpoints

Audible recycle alarm on the flashpoint - Visual only for the AB's

Weight is the same for both units - basically 3 lbs

Size wise AB's are 9" x 7.5" x 5.5" Flashpoints are 11" x 5.6" x 7.5"

Flashtubes in both units are user replaceable - price AB $34.95 Flashpoints $39.95

Flash duration is similar on both units.

I imagine the reason you are looking at the Flashpoints vs. the AB's is price (both for the strobe and accessories). Thats understandable. I'm sure the Flashpoints are decent for what they are...inexpensive entry level strobes. Probably a step better than most of the other chinese brand entry level strobes available.

The AB's will bring you more flexibility when it comes to accessories and offers more control over the unit itself. Then theres that track record of AB's quality cutomer service..probably has never been mentioned huh?

Dec 02, 2016 at 12:48 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

i have buff and am flirting with the godox stuff. Read my thoughts here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1463186

Dec 02, 2016 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

I would appreciate the 1/32 and the modifier flexibility and rock solid firing that PCB offers. But learning and using a different system from my speedlights is what has me concerned.

Dec 02, 2016 at 03:51 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

Oscarsmadness wrote:
I would appreciate the 1/32 and the modifier flexibility and rock solid firing that PCB offers. But learning and using a different system from my speedlights is what has me concerned.

I think the buff stuff is much simpler and easy to learn than the godox.

Dec 02, 2016 at 04:14 PM
elv000

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

Oscarsmadness wrote:

Those specs Pixlepeeper posted are not from the Streaklight / AD360II, or the XPLOR / AD600. They look to be from an old lower end Godox AC studio light.

They StreakLight and XPLOR go down to 1/128 and 1/256 respectively.

Dec 02, 2016 at 04:52 PM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

True. I think the OP is asking about AC units.

Dec 02, 2016 at 05:23 PM
elv000

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

pixlepeeper wrote:
True. I think the OP is asking about AC units.

Ok in that case Godox do have a AC strobe now somewhat comparable to the Einstein, in the QT600II / Flashpoint Rapid 600 HSS, which also go down to 1/256.

The QTII are also the only AC strobe so far with the Godox 2.4GHz radio system built inside. (Well the are 400Ws and 1200Ws versions as well).

Dec 02, 2016 at 05:33 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

pixlepeeper wrote:
The modeling lamp in the flashpoints is 150w. Stock lamp in the AB's is 100w but most upgrade to a 150w one. Its a standard E26 bulb in both units. Proportional setting option for both units

The QTII strobes, which have the 150w modeling light, warn to not use it for extended periods ("...otherwise the modeling lamp will be deformed, and the flammable accessories such as softbox will get burnt"). Even if 150w is enough - and I think it isn't for controlling pupil dilation - I'm not convinced that Godox yet has a useful modeling lamp.

Dec 02, 2016 at 06:20 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

kaplah wrote:
The QTII strobes, which have the 150w modeling light, warn to not use it for extended periods ("...otherwise the modeling lamp will be deformed, and the flammable accessories such as softbox will get burnt"). Even if 150w is enough - and I think it isn't for controlling pupil dilation - I'm not convinced that Godox yet has a useful modeling lamp.

based on my recent tests with the 360 and XPLOR 600, godox is not ready for prime time. I think it's a good light for folks moving up from speedlights and on paper, it looks like paul buff is a dinosaur but my recent tests conclude that for *EVERYTHING* other than HSS/TTL, buff is head and shoulders above the godox

Dec 02, 2016 at 06:27 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

jzucker wrote:
based on my recent tests with the 360 and XPLOR 600, godox is not ready for prime time. I think it's a good light for folks moving up from speedlights and on paper, it looks like paul buff is a dinosaur but my recent tests conclude that for *EVERYTHING* other than HSS/TTL, buff is head and shoulders above the godox

I don't doubt it, but would be interested in the findings that go to your conclusion.

Or would that be in your post "Godox 360 thoughts (and some xplor 600)"?

Dec 02, 2016 at 07:22 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

yes, read the other thread for more details.

Dec 02, 2016 at 08:10 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · PCB or godox/adorama flashpoint?

elv000 wrote:
They StreakLight and XPLOR go down to 1/128 and 1/256 respectively.

point for godox...

Dec 03, 2016 at 12:26 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password