FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Because the night....

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Because the night....

If you are a prey species, nothing good happens after sunset....because the night is THEIR time, the ones that use the cover of darkness to their advantage.
Eric

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-9Qcwb5j/0/X2/A87I7805leopardnightshadows-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-5DGV6f7/0/X2/A87I7804leopardatnight-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-FksVXT7/0/X2/A87I7785treehousemale-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-b8FLhKV/0/X2/A87I8815leopardduikerkill-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Vumbura-2016/i-WgtVWq4/0/X2/A87I1156leopardatnight-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-tJDJRTd/0/X2/A87I6181leopardwithwarthogkill2-X2.jpg

Edited on Nov 29, 2016 at 07:59 AM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2016 at 07:47 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Because the night....

I love 1, 4 and 5 Eric. Great set. Love the compositions and the strong contrast.

The sounds must be amazing at night. How many eyes do you see when you sweep the area with a flashlight?

Morris

Nov 29, 2016 at 07:57 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Because the night....

Very well done Eric. It looks like some of the lights were color corrected? ~ Ron

Nov 29, 2016 at 08:20 AM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Because the night....

4 and 6 for me because of the direct eye contact.

Nov 29, 2016 at 08:26 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Because the night....

Sweet shots Eric

TFS
Geoff

Nov 29, 2016 at 08:35 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Because the night....

Captivating set Eric.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:20 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Because the night....

What an excellent series of the creature of the night, Eric!

Joshua

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:24 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Because the night....

morris wrote:
I love 1, 4 and 5 Eric. Great set. Love the compositions and the strong contrast.

The sounds must be amazing at night. How many eyes do you see when you sweep the area with a flashlight?

Morris

Night time is so different....the sounds are wonderful and because your vision is compromised the sound of the bush is enhanced. Lots of eyes...but we try not to spot light diurnal creatures/antelopes, eles, etc.
---------------------------------------------

surfnron wrote:
Very well done Eric. It looks like some of the lights were color corrected? ~ Ron

Thanks Ron...it is always tricky to decide what white balance to use...do you account for the warmth of the light or try to make the subject look as it would without the artificial light...so I experiment with what I think looks right...and am often wrong

kdacharya wrote:
4 and 6 for me because of the direct eye contact.

Thanks KD...much appreciated

arbitrage wrote:
Sweet shots Eric

TFS
Geoff

Thanks Geoff...of course golden hour lighting would have been preferable but none of these guys got the memo!

louie champan wrote:
Captivating set Eric.

Thanks Louie...night is certainly different and gives a totally different feel.

AGeoJO wrote:
What an excellent series of the creature of the night, Eric!

Joshua

Thanks Joshua...I'd have preferred natural lighting at those hours when the fur of the cats really shines but unfortunately those opportunities were not to be.

Eric

Nov 30, 2016 at 07:51 AM
soupy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Because the night....

It would be very hard for me to say you got a bad shot anytime. After all, you are there having the experience and taking the photos and then generously sharing them with us. That makes them great shots in my book. Love # 4

Sue

Nov 30, 2016 at 08:14 AM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Because the night....

Eric,

Real stunning shots. It seems you had more night safaris this time than before. Finding a cat in the day light can be hard, so I understand the extra effort that goes in driving at night and finding the action.

~Mansur

Nov 30, 2016 at 09:44 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Because the night....

soupy wrote:
It would be very hard for me to say you got a bad shot anytime. After all, you are there having the experience and taking the photos and then generously sharing them with us. That makes them great shots in my book. Love # 4

Sue

You are too sweet Sue...thank you so much This trip was much more about the experiences and less about stellar photography as the sightings were often at times when the light was much less than optimal...aka....dark!

conebeam wrote:
Eric,

Real stunning shots. It seems you had more night safaris this time than before. Finding a cat in the day light can be hard, so I understand the extra effort that goes in driving at night and finding the action.

~Mansur

Hi Mansur....and I'm not we did more night drives than normal but for sure we had very successful drives after the sun went down....those are the afternoon/sunset drives that continue on for an hour to 90 minutes after sunset. We were fortunate to see quite a few nocturnal animals like bush babies, civet, owls as well as leopards, hyena, and scrub and spring hare.
Whilst fun to see the photography is difficult at best but I do like the effect one gets with the spot light better than on camera flash...not quite as flattening.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:33 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.