New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

RSHPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

I've become really interested in shooting birds. My 5d2 is on its last leg and it's stupid slow to shoot anything moving with it.

I prefer the feel of the 1d bodies but looking for advice from the experts here.

Would you recommend a 1d 3 (perhaps 4 if I can find it) or the 7D2?

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:11 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

I'd go with a 7DII. Not much cropping leeway in the files of the 1DIII.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:19 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

I keep hearing about missed focus on the 7d2. How widespread of a problem is it?

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

RSHPhotography wrote:
I keep hearing about missed focus on the 7d2. How widespread of a problem is it?

I think mine missed a little more than the 1DIV I had but I really liked the added megapixels and other features it had. For night sports the antiflicker was really nice.

All in all, I sold the 1DIV and kept the 7D2 until now. I just sold it in favor of the 5DIV which was also a compromise. I gave up the extra FPS for the 30 mp and features of the 5DIV. I found myself never picking it up. I think it's all a compromise any more. You just have to decide what things are most important to you than others.

Nov 28, 2016 at 01:04 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

For BIFs, and even more so with focal length limited shots, I prefer my 7D II over my 1D IV or 5D III. If I have the 1D III, the would place 4th in my preferred birding bodies.

Nov 28, 2016 at 01:26 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

7D2 vs 1D3 I'd go with the 7D2. If you can get a 1D4 then it is a bit harder decision. In my case the 1D4 had better focus consistency but the 7D2 has snappier focus and a whole bunch of better focus options including using two different back buttons with different settings. Even though I had some issues with my 7D2 (which Canon CPS claimed was functioning perfectly) I never touched the 1D4 after getting the 7D2.

Nov 28, 2016 at 08:59 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

I would try the 7D2 but buy it from a store with a good return policy. Canon Service Centers have not been very successful at recognizing or fixing the issues people have had with AF. Maybe try a rent to own. That way you know you have good one before buying it.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:24 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

IQ wise (and not only),probably the 7DII

I can't understand one thing. Reading this forum people praised 7DII as it was the best thing since sliced bread, and now i read here that it's 'not that great' actually.
Some even said the AF on 7DII to be on par or better than the on in 1Dx, and now I read that it sometimes falls short behind the one on 1DIV?

Initially the tough choice, as arbitrage said it, would have been between 1D IV and 7DII,but between 1D III and 7DII,it's pretty much a 'no brainer'...

just my 2c...

Nov 28, 2016 at 03:51 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

1DIII was and still is an excellent camera and I know mine blew the 7D out of the water for AF consistency and IQ, especially at high ISO. If you can afford long glass then it's awesome, but if you can afford long glass you can probably afford the 1DIV, which I'd still take over any 7 series despite it lacking several desirable features.

Honestly I grab a Nikon D500 + 200-500 or Sigma 150-600 over a 7D2, but then again that combo is similar price to 5D4 which would be my pick as best all-round camera in Canon's line-up. Next would be a used 1DX not that put's much more pixels on a subject than 1DIII when FL limited, but it is so fantastic in all other areas it's well worth considering.

Nov 28, 2016 at 05:14 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

I had a 1DMKIII, 1DMKIV and now a 7DII.

I was always thrilled with the quality of images from the 1DMKIII but as mentioned you have little room to crop up much but if you have the reach then it can be one heck of a camera for the price right now.
The 1DMKIV afforded the extra pixels to crop up with and very pleasing low noise files IMO, pro body, weatherproof etc but also heavier.
The 7DII, pretty darn amazing for the price used IMO and certainly has one great burst rate at 10fps! Mine has focused just fine with my Sigma 150-600 C lens. The additional reach is a benefit always for small birds or bigger birds that are at distance.
From what I hear and see the Nikon D500 with its 200-500 Nikon is a stunning performer, not sure how the Nikon has been with the Sigma 150-600 but you will simply spend more money for the body (about $500-$600), that is your call which you choose

They all will do the job, it has been proven but technology advances often for the good.
Karl

Nov 28, 2016 at 05:54 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

It can depend on the speed of the lens you use. If you want to avoid heat waves in the middle of the day then you will have less light (dawn/sunrise and sunset/dusk).

With a typically long lens for birding with an, effective, F5.6/F8 (possibly a TC) and a shutter set to 1/1000 or 1/2000 you may need the extra Hi ISO performance of a FF body.

Nov 28, 2016 at 06:30 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

adrianb wrote:
I can't understand one thing. Reading this forum people praised 7DII as it was the best thing since sliced bread, and now i read here that it's 'not that great' actually. Some even said the AF on 7DII to be on par or better than the on in 1Dx, and now I read that it sometimes falls short behind the one on 1DIV?

Go back and read the threads on the 1D3. You will find the same views with regards to AF. As the owner of a 1D4, 1DX, and then a 7D2 I would say the 7D2 is behind the 1D4 in AF tracking consistency. Others disagree, just as others did with the 1D3 AF issues. Both sides can be right.

Nov 28, 2016 at 06:55 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

1DIII is no longer supported by Canon which means No Parts.

Go with the 1D IV or 7D II.

Nov 28, 2016 at 07:33 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

The 1D Mk III is an excellent camera for birding, providing you don't need more than 10Mpx. As many birders just like to share online, this may well not be a problem.

All of the photos in my "Australian Birds" album on Flickr were taken with this camera. The only trouble I ever had with it was the mirror box locked up one cold dawn, and that turned out to be a faulty battery. Fortunately I was shooting in my back garden so I just went inside and got another battery.

I think the lack of parts support is a valid reason not to get it, but I also think that's likely to apply to the 1D Mk IV during your ownership. I bought mine new and it's never needed anything.

Two things to watch though: replacement batteries are expensive, and there was a range of serial numbers that were faulty from new and should have been fixed by Canon. It's definitely not true that they all had AF problems or that the AF problems were never solved - mine works fine.

Nov 29, 2016 at 02:52 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

RSHPhotography wrote:

If you are worried about a focus issue with the 7D2 read up on the 1DIII. There are colored dots in the battery compartment marking the several fixes that were offered by Canon. If you choose to buy a used 1DIII you should be well aware and make sure you get one with all the proper fixes.
Like most people in this thread I would recommend either a 7DII or a 1DIV.

Nov 29, 2016 at 08:06 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

ggreene wrote:
Go back and read the threads on the 1D3. You will find the same views with regards to AF. As the owner of a 1D4, 1DX, and then a 7D2 I would say the 7D2 is behind the 1D4 in AF tracking consistency. Others disagree, just as others did with the 1D3 AF issues. Both sides can be right.

Unless I'm mistaking, there was only a specific lot which had issues with the AF. (1D mark III).

It's documented here, with the serial numbers which were affected.

Comparing the disagreement among some about AF between 7D2, 1DIV and 1DX is one thing, but the AF issues were actually present on the 1D3, regardless whether some agreed or disagreed on that.

Get your facts right.

As I initially asked, I can't see how 7DII is getting mixed opinions,since it was so praised and everybody kept saying how good the AF is.

Nonetheless, I DO believe that between 1D mark III and 7D2, it is a nobrainer....

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:53 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

There were people with AF issues outside of the serial number range. It was not as cut and dried as you make it out. It took a long time for Canon to even acknowledge the 1D3 AF issues so just because there is not an official notice from Canon does not mean there aren't issues with certain 7D2's.

The reason the 7D2 is getting some mixed responses is that those with other Canon bodies (like me) can directly compare them and the 7D2 is coming up short in AF tracking consistency. That's just my experience and the camera went to the Service Center twice and came back within spec. So either the 7D2 is inherently flawed or there is a group of them that is defective.

I do agree with you that if given the choice between a 1D3 and 7D2 I'll take a 7D2, but I would take a used 1D4 over either.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:24 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

I've had good luck with AF on my 7D2...a great complement to my Sony A7R2 until used 1DX's come down in price a little.

However....I also bought mine used from a trusted forum member who had put 20k clicks on it with success from a focusing standpoint, because like others, I had heard of miscellaneous issues with the AF on 7D2's.

Nov 29, 2016 at 01:27 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Birding: 1D Mark 3 or 7D2

Like a couple of others who have posted in this thread, I owned a 1D Mark III, and I still own both a 7D Mark II and a 1D Mark IV.

I thought that the 1D Mark III was a wonderful camera, but, by today's standards, the pixel density is quite low, and, with only 10 megapixels, there just isn't the room to crop much. Add in the fact that the 1D Mark III is no longer being serviced by Canon, and it is not a camera that I would likely choose to buy now.

The 1D Mark IV does everything that the 1D Mark III does and does many things better, and the 16 megapixels have been a real plus, compared to the 1D Mark III, when cropping has been necessary. Also, the AF on my 1D Mark IV has performed at a consistently excellent level.

However, the AF on my 7D Mark II has performed at least as well as that of the 1D Mark IV and probably better than the 1D Mark IV. In addition, the 7D Mark II AF has more opportunities for customization than does the AF on the 1D Mark IV. And, especially important for focal-length limited situations, the much higher pixel density of the 7D Mark II has been a great bonus. If you have to crop a 1D Mark IV image down to the same field of view as that of a 7D Mark II image taken at the same distance with the same lens, you will only be left with about 9 1/2 megapixels, compared to the 20 megapixels from the uncropped 7D Mark II image, and having twice as many pixels does make a clearly noticeable difference with regard to detail in the final image.

I've now had the 7D Mark II for just over 2 years. While the 1D Mark IV is an outstanding camera and while I have no plans in the immediate future to sell it, since getting the 7D Mark II, the 1D Mark IV has become relegated to back-up status, especially when I'm shooting in focal length-limited situations. For shooting in such focal length-limited situations, the 7D Mark II has been an easy first choice.

Nov 29, 2016 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.