Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

pizdets17
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

this would be a nice travel one lens solution on my a99II..

Nov 29, 2016 at 06:37 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

Has anybody actually used the Canon 24-105L IS II? If so, can you describe your experience with it?

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:47 PM
photozero
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

It's now $899 but that still seems pretty reasonable.

Dec 02, 2016 at 08:41 PM
asiafish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

pjbishop wrote:
Has anybody actually used the Canon 24-105L IS II? If so, can you describe your experience with it?

Roger Cicala just tested it and says it is a small improvement over the old 24-105 and not as good as the 24-70/4. He didn't compare the Sigma 24-105.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM
bridow
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

pjbishop wrote:

I was really excited for this lens as I really need this focal length for work, but the AF reviews are pretty poor. I love my Sigma 50ART and might have to venture for a couple more(this and the 85A).

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:33 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

asiafish wrote:
Roger Cicala just tested it and says it is a small improvement over the old 24-105 and not as good as the 24-70/4. He didn't compare the Sigma 24-105.

But Roger did conclude that the old 24-105 was pretty much even with the sigma 24-105, thus by induction (the new 24-105 is not much different than the old 24-105 but a bit better on the longer end), the sigma image quality is about the same as the new canon 24-105.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/03/a-24-105-comparison/
quote:
"the Sigma is a bit sharper at 24mm [than v1]when shot at close focusing distances. ..... At longer focusing distances the lenses are identical.
this shows up in dxomark tests (they focus close) which shows that if you want the lens primary for close in - buy the sigma
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sigma-24-105mm-F4-DG-OS-HSM-A-Canon-on-Canon-EOS-5DS-R-versus-EF24-105mm-f-4L-IS-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5DS-R__1255_1009_164_1009

However there are other things to consider like price, is capability, flare, vignetting, focusing, close iq vs far iq....
for example the canon has better flare control at 24mm
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Flare.aspx?FLI=0&API=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&Lens=1072&Camera=979&LensComp=918
and a little less vignetting at 105mm
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?Lens=1072&Camera=979&FLI=5&API=0&LensComp=918&CameraComp=453&FLIComp=5&APIComp=0
and less ca - see lenstip review of sigma 24-105

So the new canon 24-105 and the old canon 24-105 are about the same as the sigma 24-105 for image quality.

Buy the sigma based on price and iq close focussed
or
Buy the new canon based on is capability, focus accuracy, vignetting, ca, and flare [but sigma is acceptable in all these dimensions - its a good lens]

Edited on Dec 11, 2016 at 06:33 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2016 at 05:42 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

arbitrage wrote:
Probably a better lens than that new Canon version......

Nope - even on iq - see above.

Dec 11, 2016 at 06:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

didierv
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

photozero wrote:
It's now $899 but that still seems pretty reasonable.

If you have to have this focal length, the best deal of all is a used Canon 24-105 v1, they sell for as low as $400 on the B&S forum...
I have the original one, which I like, not my best lens but so useful. I has really come handy to me when shooting from a boat or a car, any place where you can't move and need wide range zoom lens.

Dec 11, 2016 at 07:00 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

In the Photozone.de tests, the Sigma showed itself better than the Canon v.1 and v.2 in sharpness (the distortion is better on the Canon v.2, but not by much). I'm comparing the 21 MP results only.

EB-1 wrote:
Have you identified two version of the Sigma? I had one in late 2013 and rejected it due to serious fringing on a 22MP sensor. When I considered replacing it in 2014 the lens had been discontinued, but reappeared later on.

EBH

There is nothing that might indicate that these are different "versions". Last I checked, the temporary lapse in the production of the 24-105 was caused by the 18-35 craze that made the demand for that lens skyrocket so the production facilities were shifted in favour of the 18-35 for some time. I may be utterly wrong, of course.

Edited on Dec 11, 2016 at 09:15 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2016 at 08:49 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

Something to consider about the Sigma, which I think is a major point and never addressed in the reviews: With the USB Dock, the lens has the option to calibrate on an extremely precise basis four (4) focal length settings and four (4) distance settings, for a total of 16 AF adjustments instead of one or two for zoom lenses by the camera maker.

These adjustments are fairly time intensive to program on each lens, and I've not read of any review taking the time to do this, let alone someone like Roger doing it for 8 or 10 units, the starting A-B tests against other competitor's products.

My experience with the Sigma 24-105 Art has been on a Nikon 36MP body, and after dialing in the precise variables, I can say that the lens has superior IQ and AF to the Canon original. My Canon is what I would call outstanding for a $715 lens (what I paid for it several years ago, here on B&S) and I've also checked it on Sony a7R and it holds up quite well, but not up to more expensive lenses like EF 24-70/2.8L II, and I'm very happy with it. So on a comparative basis, I prefer the Sigma on the Nikon, but I like the Canon original quite a lot too and am not planning to replace it unless the new 24-105L II turns out to be significantly better (remember, the original went through initial serious problems with contrast and flare? Those were fixed and the later models were superior, if still prone to some IQ variability).

As it stands right now, I can't think of a better lens at a better price than the original Canon 24-105. Certainly not the Nikon and its 24-120/4 lens!

Which leads my ramble to the new Canon lens: If it meets or slightly exceeds the Sigma, that is an accomplishment. If copy variation is reduced from the original Canon, that's an accomplishment too. If the overall contrast and sharpness is a bit better than my excellent v.I, then that's an accomplishment too! If the new offering is refined to get more IQ, that would shift the scales a bit more in favor of the new model. If the price comes down significantly (around $750 or less) that would be a major selling point if the above small changes are also in play.

I'm not jumping onto the new model, since I have the old one that works fine. Or I can simply pick up the Nikon and Sigma and shoot that combo. But someday, I may get the new Canon version -- it all depends. But then again, I wasn't one of the people who seem disappointed after setting what now seem to be unreasonably high expectations for the new Canon. If IS is a little better, if AF is a touch snappier, if the T-number is a little lower, if mechanical reliability is a little better, if contrast and flare are just a little better, if sharpness is slightly improved and better across the focal spectrum -- then I don't see why this new lens shouldn't be counted in the win column -- excluding unrealistic expectations.

Now, where is my 20-75mm f/3.5 L IS lens for $1500? (I'm hardly kidding -- that would be my all-around lens!)

Dec 11, 2016 at 08:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

EB-1 wrote:
Have you identified two version of the Sigma? I had one in late 2013 and rejected it due to serious fringing on a 22MP sensor. When I considered replacing it in 2014 the lens had been discontinued, but reappeared later on.

EBH

Snopchenko wrote:
In the Photozone.de tests, the Sigma showed itself better than the Canon v.1 and v.2 in sharpness (the distortion is better on the Canon v.2, but not by much). I'm comparing the 21 MP results only.
There is nothing that might indicate that these are different "versions". Last I checked, the temporary lapse in the production of the 24-105 was caused by the 18-35 craze that made the demand for that lens skyrocket so the production facilities were shifted in favour of the 18-35 for some time. I may be utterly wrong, of course.

Thanks. I was just hoping, but no such luck.

EBH

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:38 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

EB-1 wrote:
Thanks. I was just hoping, but no such luck.

EBH

Well, sorry for not allaying your concern. I still find it odd that the reviews indicate nothing like what you said of the lens:

Lateral chromatic aberrations (color shadows at harsh contrast transitions) are comparatively moderate with a peak of 1.6px at 24mm f/4. The CA decrease when stopping down and they aren't quite as pronounced in the medium to upper focal length range.

and

Bokeh fringing isn't really a substantial issue in slow speed lenses anymore. The Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG HSM OS | A shows very marginal traces at f/4 but they are gone at f/5.6.

Go figure...
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/864-sigma24105f4eos?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/962-sigma24105f4fx?start=1

Dec 12, 2016 at 08:18 AM
Kpjr

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

bridow wrote:
I was really excited for this lens as I really need this focal length for work, but the AF reviews are pretty poor. I love my Sigma 50ART and might have to venture for a couple more(this and the 85A).

I've owned this lens for a year or so and have had no issues with autofocus. Still don't understand how so many report AF issues on the sigma global lenses; I've never experienced any.

Dec 12, 2016 at 05:58 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art for $799!

Snopchenko wrote:

Remember photozone tests lens close focused and lenrentals at infinity. I use my lens more for far and give more notice to lenrentals than photozone for this reason (I focus on landcape far focused). Lenrentals concluded that sigma is even on long focus for v1. But sigma has more CA (lenstip) and focus issues (general obervations) and canon has a newer IS and thedigital picture shows canon v2 having less vignetting and less flare.

Either lens or all lens are pretty even. Choose by price or IS or other reasons.between v1, v2 and sigma.

Dec 14, 2016 at 07:57 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password